Ar on a budget

sam

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murgatroy, I just ordered that same kit you got. My buddy works for PSA so I got a steal of a deal on it, way cheaper than the discounted price. He's going to try and get mine built and shipped out tomorrow if he can.

It's going to be my first ar and will be my Christmas present to myself since I just had a little girl on August 30th and won't be able to spend a ton on anymore toys for me until I'm done with school. I'm hoping I can put it together without all the punches as I don't have much money to spend right now and trying to save every little bit I can. Baby's are expensive!

But as far as PSA quality and price goes, my friend says their stuff is good and he's been saying that since before he began working there...

I think I am going to go with the same kit but all Magpul. That is a really good deal through PSA. I watched a couple of video's about putting one together and it really doesn't look that hard. Seems like if a man had any kind of mechanical skill or spent time with firearms he could figure out how to put one together.

I can put a lower together in about 30 minutes taking my time and taping everything up to avoid scratches. If you need a cheap red dot, primary arms has there fixed base micro dot with riser on sale for $60. I've got 3 of their red dots and ordered this one as a backup because of the crazy cheap price.

I'd look at the S&W MP15 Sport. It retails between $600-700 and is miles a head of the Bushmaster Carbon-15 (Bushy's $699 offering).

It doesn't have a forward assist or dust cover. It DOES have a melonited barrel w/ a 1:8 twist and 5R rifling.

Here's a good write up:

Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

Edited by poak

Another +1 for joebobs. A couple of misc parts I was going to order for my build were out of stock at other places and came across his site. His price was actually better on some of the parts I had already ordered and regret not ordering more from him. Out of about 6 different places I ordered parts from, he was the quickest to ship and gave the best CS. As someone else already stated, supporting vendor and TGO discount so you can't beat that.

+1 for the M&P. A used mass produced gun or a new one in this class is a fine shooter and a good alternative if you do not care to build it. We have one of the slightly more expensive variations of the M&P, its been great with over 1k rounds and no problems. If it does not *have* to be an AR, and you want to save money, maybe try something like the kel tec rifles. My plr is the same as their rifles (just a different body and barrel, same guts) and it has been a great package, accurate and inexpensive. The full sized version would be less than even a built AR, running in the $400 if you find a sale (and its that time of year) or in the $300s used.