Il Duce

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A date that will live in infamy.

Do they teach this in school nowdays? I am pretty sure my 3rd grade grandson does not know about it.

It was a kick in the nuts that changed the world. And gave that generation the chance to be the greatest. And most likely was preventable.

It would be very interesting to know the truth about how it came about.

Guest bkelm18

Do they teach this in school nowdays? I am pretty sure my 3rd grade grandson does not know about it.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure my first history class wasn't until Middle School, maybe the 5th or 6th grade, give or take.

Guest bkelm18
My kindergartener is learning the history of the flag currently. I have been impressed with her teacher so far.

Well, I'm sure I had small little lessons here and there but my first "official" history class wasn't til much later.

Guest hawkeye10

I was getting ready to post about this being the 70th birthday of Pearl Harbor. Glad Duce beat me to it. I have been to visit Pearl Harbor and words can't describe it. At least not my words. I wish every one could see Pearl Harbor. I was born June 7 1942 so I was here but just not out yet. Don

Guest Revelator

Take a moment to remember and reflect. For a long time, this day was as big as if not bigger than September 11. Soon there won't be anyone left alive who remembers Pearl Harbor. Ten years ago on the 60th anniversary I listened to a man being interviewed on the radio. He was stationed on one of the battleships, I think the Tennessee, and he described the attacks. His brother was on the same ship and died.

Local sports radio guy interviewed 2 guys this morning, one was 89, the other 92. The 92 year old was in an ambulatory unit and came in 2 days after DDay and would go to the front lines, pick up the wounded, and take them back to shore to the Med Ship. He went as far as Germany!

Amazing generation, unfortunately, they are few left and we lose them everyday.

Guest WyattEarp
A date that will live in infamy.

It was a kick in the nuts that changed the world. And gave that generation the chance to be the greatest. And most likely was preventable.

It would be very interesting to know the truth about how it came about.

what they teach in history classes, is only what the government has approved to be taught, and what they think students "need" to know, and what they want us to know.

What they don't tell you are some very key and critical events that led up to this.

They don't tell you, that Japan's aggression towards China in the late 30's and early 40's, led to FDR placing an embargo on Japan, which cut off many of their needed supplies and resources that were imported from other countries.

I'm not assigning blame, or saying the US is more at fault, or Japan is more at fault, I'm just stating this is one of the events, that led to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. We cut off their way of life, they felt backed into a corner,

and a caged animal is a dangerous one, and they lashed out and we paid dearly for it. in the end, so did they, it was revisited ten fold and then some. The embargo on Japan, was something I never heard in any classroom, even

2 years ago when I was taking my final history classes at MTSU for my gen eds, and I never heard them at the community college I took my first 2 history classes at.

Not surprisingly, we had plenty of intel that suggested an attack on a US interest in the Pacific and there was reasonable intel to suggest that Pearl Harbor was being targeted and that mission planning was underway, and we ignored it. Just like we did before 9/11 happened. We had intel on that,

and we just sat by and let it happen.

I doubt it's all about about mind control, or anything of an evil government conspiracy I think it's more they keep such things out, to instill patriotism and loyalty to one's country, more than anything, and to a certain extent that's ok, there's nothing wrong with that. Doesn't make a lot of sense to tell everything, and then you have young minds growing up hating their own country and turning against them.

They don't' hardly teach any black history at all dating up to the civil war, and what little they do tell you is so inaccurate or generalized and watered down. The history books don't reveal the crimes against humanity that the American government committed long ago. The displacement of millions of Native Americans, the stealing of their land, their murders, their rapes, they don't tell you the truth about slavery, or the Mexican-American war, the Trail of Tears. America is a great country, but we too like the rest of the countries in the world, have our faults, and imperfections and our :usa: sometimes does stink. I guess one of the biggest lies to me, was always growing up being made to believe through the history classes and the content of what was taught, was that America was God's nation, we were pure, honest and righteous people who never did wrong, we defended freedom, we helped other nation's out and defended their people from tyranny and opression, and we were the badass on the globe that always went and kicked the bully's ass when the bully was picking on the little guy. Well, not so true, because there's been sometimes we've instigated some **** and been the bully ourselves and have been completely in the wrong. But I still love this country, it truly is the land of opportunity, and if you want it bad enough, you can live the American dream how you see fit, and there's no other place, I'd rather live, much as my government acts like a bunch of knuckleheads sometimes :D

Edited by WyattEarp
Guest WyattEarp

here are some pretty provocative articles on the subject.

EXPLOSIVE TRUTH ABOUT PEARL HARBOR: THE STORY THE REST OF THE MEDIA WON’T TELL « Aotearoa: a wider perspective

and many more on google.

Google

some interesting things I never knew, and that were never taught in any classroom I've ever been in, or read from any textbook I was ever given.

edit: for those interested, since it's WW2 related, I have some pictures of my tour of the battleship USS Alabama that I took a few years ago on a trip to Pensacola Beach, FL. Enjoy. :usa:

http://drewgphotography.smugmug.com/Boats/USS-Alabama/14730384_rh3KWj#1097671376_yDNYK

Edited by WyattEarp
Take a moment to remember and reflect. For a long time, this day was as big as if not bigger than September 11. Soon there won't be anyone left alive who remembers Pearl Harbor. Ten years ago on the 60th anniversary I listened to a man being interviewed on the radio. He was stationed on one of the battleships, I think the Tennessee, and he described the attacks. His brother was on the same ship and died.

Although I was a bit over three YO at the time of the event, I remember the war and the feelings, the hatred toward the Japs and Germans. My grandfather was a first generation German American and had he not been an established successful community member would have most likely been run out of town. The anniversary of Pearl Harbor and many WW11 events were remembered, some with reverence and some events even celebrated.

oldogy