Reloads in Glocks

Guest jth_3s

Guest jth_3s

I've been wanting to start reloading but I've heard from a few people and seen it on my glocks box that you aren't susposed to shoot reloads in them. Can anyone tell me if it really matters.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some manufacturers are fine with reloads, but no manufacturer will warranty an ammo related KB anyways. I am not aware of any company that has a warranty that relates to anything other than manufacturing defects, so I wouldn't let voiding of the warranty in case of a KB deter you from reloading.

• Administrator
Why on .45, tungsten? I can see more of an issue with a high pressure round like .40, but not with a low pressure round like .45.

The G21 chambers that I've seen in the past did not offer sufficient support to the casing all the way back to the lip. There are several recorded incidents of .45ACP Glocks going ka-boom with good photo documentation substantiating what I just stated.

Really, I prefer not to shoot other people's reloads in any gun and wouldn't shoot my own reloads in a Glock. I don't trust the attention span of others enough to feel confident that they didn't goof while reloading and overcharge a cartridge or two. Even if the hangun contains the explosive result of an overcharge and keeps you from being wounded, the gun itself will likely sustain damage.

July 4th is ok because everyone loves more fireworks.

I was actually on the range yesterday and an older gentleman had a 40 reload explode in his glock. Scared the old coger to death. The range officer and I checked out his gun and it was ok but the range officer told him to never shoot reloads in the glock. The back quarter of the brass casing was blown to hell.

The range officer explained to me, as if I needed any more reasons not to buy a glock (I love my XD), that the glock does not support the whole bullet in the chamber and you could see on the exploded casing where the support isn't there, because that is the part that blew up.

I reload for my GLOCK 23 and 27. I use brass I have fired and other range pick ups. I always inspect the brass carefully and discard any I have a doubt about. I never reload to max, usually starting loads or medium levels. I have had only one problem with both guns, some rounds loaded a little long. They did not want to feed from the magazine correctly.

I have around 2,000 rounds thru the 23 and 1,600 rounds thru the 27 with half of these being reloads.

Now these work in my guns and may not in yours, do not use reloading info from the internet!

Rainier or Magnus 165gr JHP's with any good small pistol primer, various brass and 7.3gr of Longshot powder.

I have had no problems other than a few that were too long overall, accurate and clean.

Guest ibavol

How about the Georgia Arms bulk ammo in 45?

Aren't these reloads and are they OK to shoot?

Any experience or reports of KB with their ammo in 45? :P

Guest price g
There's only one day a year that it's okay to shoot reloads in a Glock... July 4th I think.

(it was wide open... couldn't help it.)

Thats funny, I don't care who you are
Guest dotsun

I reload for my 26 and still have all my fingers. I would point out that if you do reload, don't use lead bullets as they'll foul the polygonal rifling.

Guest m4coyote

I reload for my G19, G20, and G23. I have never had a problem with my Glocks & reloads. The older Glock .40 S&W pistols had a "looser" chamber with less support at the feed ramp area than the current models. My three Glocks have just as much, if not more cartridge support as any of my other auto pistols (H&K, Sig, Colt, Kahr, FNH)

I have shot several hundred "hot" loads through my third gen G20 (180 gr Hornady XTP over 10.5 gr. of Blue Dot @ 1240 fps) without so much as a "smiley" on the case. My G19 has digested several hundred "hot" hand loads as well (115 gr Hornady XTP over 6.7 gr of Power Pistol @ 1250 fps). My G23 has had a similar diet of "hot" loads as well.

I must admit that the G20 was not even safe to shoot with weak commercial loads in its original factory condition. These factory Glock components are probably the reason for the KB's with the G21's. After replacing the stock trigger bar, stock plastic recoil assembly, and stock striker spring, it will digest about anything within reason safely. No such problems with the G19 & G23.

Guest GLOCKGUY
How about the Georgia Arms bulk ammo in 45?

Aren't these reloads and are they OK to shoot?

Any experience or reports of KB with their ammo in 45? :cheers:

ive been shooting Georgia Arms ammo for a long time and know alot of other people that do to and we have never had a problem with them in are GLOCKS :D

Reloading for Glocks of any caliber is not a problem. With a factory barrel you should use jacketed bullets, if you have a standard rifled after market barrel you can use lead, molly etc. If I recall the polygon rifle in factory barrel will build up lead making diameter smaller causing squib, then next round boom.

A bad reload in any gun is going to cause a problem. Case head seperation can happen on any weak brass. I use Police 40 cal brass from G22's for my reloads over and over if it looks bad toss it.

If you are a competent reloader, and your Glock is a generation three, you'll be fine. I would be hesitant to reload .40 for ANY gun, however.

Why would you be hesitant about loading 40? If you are a competant reloader and pay attention to the data its no problem. I have loaded and fired thousands of rounds through my XDs no problem.

Why would you be hesitant about loading 40? If you are a competant reloader and pay attention to the data its no problem. I have loaded and fired thousands of rounds through my XDs no problem.

I never said I was a competent reloader :woohoo: j/k

The .40 seems a little less forgiving to reloaders. Also, too many guys are too eager to pick up any old brass case they find and reload. Many inspect them, some don't. It seems like the majority of guns that blow up seem to be .40s, Glocks and all others included.