Looking for a good trail knife.

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

I've got some money to blow at Amazon (gift card) and I'm looking at getting a decent fixed blade knife to take on the trail or for camping. I don't plan on felling any trees with it so it doesn't necessarily need to be a beast of a blade. I'd prefer a 3-4" blade, non-serrated. Max price is probably about $75. I do like the Mora line of knives, however I can't get past the cheap sheath. I know better ones are made but don't know if I'd pay 3-4x the price of the knife just for a sheath, but if anyone has any sheath alternatives I'd love to hear them. I've been eyeballing the Ontario Rat 3 which seems like a good all around knife. Anything else I should be looking at?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to go a little cheaper so can buy something else too, this Condor model has become quite popular. The wood handled model is on Amazon:

CTK-CATALOGUE-4_06.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Bushlore-4-375-Inch-Walnut-Leather/dp/B002CC6BPM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323807822&sr=8-2

You could even get the mini Bushlore as companion:

CTK-CATALOGUE-4_11.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Bushlore-3-Inch-Walnut-Leather/dp/B004WMFI0Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323807822&sr=8-4

- OS

Guest bkelm18
I know you said non serrated but I think this knife would fit the bill pretty good and you never know the serrations might come in handy.

Amazon.com: Gerber 22-01629 LMF II Black Infantry Knife with 4.8-Inch Blade: Home Improvement

Thought about those. I've got the Gerber Prodigy which is essentially a less expensive version of the LMF. It's an ok knife but I really dislike partial serrations. Plus it's a tad large for what I'm looking for.

Want to go a little cheaper so can buy something else too, this Condor model has become quite popular. The wood handled model is on Amazon:

CTK-CATALOGUE-4_06.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Bushlore-4-375-Inch-Walnut-Leather/dp/B002CC6BPM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323807822&sr=8-2

You could even get the mini Bushlore as companion:

CTK-CATALOGUE-4_11.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Bushlore-3-Inch-Walnut-Leather/dp/B004WMFI0Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323807822&sr=8-4

- OS

Oh yes, forgot about Condor. I'll look into those.

Guest bkelm18

- OS

Mac, I don't know if you own one of them, but I've read many people saying that the edge that comes on the Bushlore requires a lot of work to make it sharp, often requiring altering the bevel, did you experience any of that (if you have/had one)?

I'd go with the Becker BK11. I really like Mora's for the price. Some of the sheaths like the ones that come with the Triflex and HQ models are easily modified to be really handy. The quality on the Condor knives has greatly increased over the last year. Of course, the first thing I would do with it if it were mine is convex the edge any way. I've never bought a knife that I didn't have to sharpen when I got it, except my Moras. They have always come scary sharp!

Guest bkelm18
I'd go with the Becker BK11. I really like Mora's for the price. Some of the sheaths like the ones that come with the Triflex and HQ models are easily modified to be really handy. The quality on the Condor knives has greatly increased over the last year. Of course, the first thing I would do with it if it were mine is convex the edge any way. I've never bought a knife that I didn't have to sharpen when I got it, except my Moras. They have always come scary sharp!

The Necker does look interesting. I'd have to look at getting grips for it. As far as sharpening a new knife I understand. But a lot of reviews I've seen on the condor are saying the edge comes quite dull and takes a lot of time to make it usable. But that could just be the older style.

My RAT3 came with a crappy sheath too. I had a leather one made for me by a friend, so now it carries higher and tighter. It's a great camp/trail knife. It may be heavier than you need, but it's popular for good reason. It's a good knife.

I like the moras too.

Mac, I don't know if you own one of them, but I've read many people saying that the edge that comes on the Bushlore requires a lot of work to make it sharp, often requiring altering the bevel, did you experience any of that (if you have/had one)?

I personally haven't seen that buzz...

I only have some larger ones, Rodan, Varan, and Kumunga, no Bushlore.

They all came sharp enough to push cut printer paper even though the blades are thick.

I haven't personally put them through their paces, but beau coup others have, video reviews galore out there.

Also, if you haven't noticed, rave reviews abound for the leather sheaths that come with Condor stuff, thy are indeed very nice.

Also also, SMKW carries Condor stuff, if you get over that way you might could lay hands on a Bushlore before you decide.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bkelm18
I personally haven't seen that buzz...

I only have the larger ones, Rodan, Varan, and Kumunga.

They all come sharp enough to push cut printer paper even though the blades are thick.

I haven't personally put them through their paces, but beau coup others have, video reviews galore out there.

Also, if you haven't noticed, rave reviews abound for the leather sheaths that come with Condor stuff, thy are indeed very nice.

- OS

Yeah the sheaths are quite impressive. I might go ahead and pick one up seeing it's only 30 clams. If it's not sharp enough I can work on it. I've got nothing to do for a month between semesters. :)

The Necker does look interesting. I'd have to look at getting grips for it. As far as sharpening a new knife I understand. But a lot of reviews I've seen on the condor are saying the edge comes quite dull and takes a lot of time to make it usable. But that could just be the older style.

Becker makes scales for the BK11. They are usually around $30 or so. Lots of people just wrap them with 550 paracord, but I prefer scales myself. I also like the Becker stripped down. I hate that coating they put on them. I've read that Condor is doing a much better job at the fit and finish of their blades. Of course, you got to remember they are a cheap knife to begin with and that means they are probably not going to be perfect. As for sharpening them, I've found that wet/dry sand paper like you find at the Auto Parts Store and a mouse pad will sharpen just about anything up pretty quickly. I have an older Condor Brushcraft that was a bit of a bear to sharpen, until I tried the sandpaper and then it was no problem. I convexed it.

Another reason I like Moras so well is they are inexpensive and sharp as hell right out of the box. The sheaths are they're downfall, but with a little search of YouTube or a perusal of Ragweed Forge you can learn how to make a dandy sheath for them out of leather. I've also seen some videos where they mod the sheaths to hold fire steels and other items. I took my No.1 and turned it into a neck knife using the original sheath.

What about a Benchmade Rant? It is right around the price you are looking at (even cheaper on ebay).

Amazon has a clip point for $85 and a tanto for $72. The blade is around 4.5" and it is also made in the USA (if that matters any).

Edited by mav
The Necker does look interesting. ...

Eskabar is even better, same knife, but the handle is little more comfy.

BK14_h_lg.png

They make micarta scales for one or both of them, cost about as much as the knife, though. Also you have to buy an add on clip for the sheath for either of them, unless you wear them as neckers or lash them to something. Oh, many use para cord to make two loops through sheath holes for belt carry, can do vertically or horizontally that way and you don't need the accessory clip.

And most folks just braid para on the handles of both of these, all kinds of examples of that. I even did it myself, turned out pretty comfy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=becker+necker+paracord+wrap&hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=5gh&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=qyjoTojpM4bNtgeB9vSaCg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1519&bih=793

https://www.google.com/search?q=eskabar+paracord&hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=r0M&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=cijoTtrsG4uEtgeW9fmECg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1519&bih=793

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Hey BKelm18, have you looked at Helle Knives on Amazon? They are fantastic blades! I have a Helle Odel that I love and is my go too woods knife. Helle is a much upscaled Mora! There are some in your price range. Specifically he Tolleniv and the Folkekiven. You might want to check them out. If you can squeeze out a few more pennies, I recommend the Helle Viking, but it is $80.

Guest bkelm18

Oh so many choices. Maybe I should just blow my Christmas fund on knives. :)

Hey BKelm18, have you looked at Helle Knives on Amazon? They are fantastic blades! I have a Helle Odel that I love and is my go too woods knife. Helle is a much upscaled Mora! There are some in your price range. Specifically he Tolleniv and the Folkekiven. You might want to check them out. If you can squeeze out a few more pennies, I recommend the Helle Viking, but it is $80.

Yes, those are some good lookin' knives for sure. I especially like the Temagami which was "designed" with the help of Les Stroud (Survivorman). I'm sure it's a great quality knife unlike the stuff Bear Grylls slaps his name on.

HE301.jpg

Oh so many choices. Maybe I should just blow my Christmas fund on knives. :tinfoil:

Yes, those are some good lookin' knives for sure. I especially like the Temagami which was "designed" with the help of Les Stroud (Survivorman). I'm sure it's a great quality knife unlike the stuff Bear Grylls slaps his name on.

HE301.jpg

That's a really nice knife! Stroud is the real deal. I like BG, but he takes way to many stupid risks on his show that a normal sane person never would. Helle smokes Gerber, IMO, in fit, finish and looks. They aren't all tacticool, like Gerber is and none of those serrations, which really turn me off. I really like my Odel, but I'd love to have a Helle Viking!

I use the good ole Ka-bar. It's kinda big, but it tends to scare some people, which makes it worthwhile. :tinfoil:
I take it your talking the "Marine Corp Model" i have one and love it but as you said kinda big. I saw at Bass Pro a smaller version I think the called it a "Air Force Pilot's Model" it was awesome. Not sure if Amazon has it. but check it out.
Ok, well I dropped an order for the Condor Bushlore, the Ka-Bar Eskabar, and of course, a ZT 0350 just to see what all the fuss is about. :rolleyes:

Wow. You should be well set.

Give us impressions when they all arrive; I have an Eskabar and have handled the ZT, so know how nice they are, but quite interested in your take on the Bushlore, as I've read nothing but raves about the newer version with sharpened edge all the way to hilt.

- OS

Guest bkelm18
Wow. You should be well set.

Give us impressions when they all arrive; I have an Eskabar and have handled the ZT, so know how nice they are, but quite interested in your take on the Bushlore, as I've read nothing but raves about the newer version with sharpened edge all the way to hilt.

- OS

Yeah if the Condor comes with a good edge, I'd say it would be an excellent value for a full tang knife with a good leather sheath.

Ok, well I dropped an order for the Condor Bushlore, the Ka-Bar Eskabar, and of course, a ZT 0350 just to see what all the fuss is about. ;)

Glad you got a 0350. Hope you like it. I would like to mention that the last two new 0350s I have purchased would not open completely without a lot of force. This isn't normal. They should open very rapidly. If by some chance your's is very stiff, a small 1/8 of a turn or less on the tension should fix it.