I'm going to build an AR-15

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

went to the range with Sqlightning and a friend of ours a week and a half ago, and they both had AR-15's. I was a little too mesmerized by my new video camera to shoot either of them, but looking at them and seeing some of the members builds on here, has stoked the old fires from my Army days, and I've got the itch now. :D

In mid-January, I'll start getting the components to put a nice AR-15 together.

At sqlightning's advice, I'm going to start with a palmetto stripped lower receiver and work from there.

I found the SSAR-15 slide stock that sqlightning told me about, and that should help scratch any itch I have for now, it's cost effective, legal and requires no Form 4's or any ATF interaction.

A Review of the Slide Fire Solutions SSAR-15 Bumpfire AR-15 Stock

then later on after college, I can buy a full auto registered pre-1986 receiver and fork out some cash to do it.

I was looking at scope's online, and came across this one in the M-4 thread on AR-15.com and was wondering if anyone knew what scope this was? or perhaps knew of something similar that I can use on my AR-15 that I'll be building?

realmiamiheat005.jpg

realmiamiheat007.jpg

here's a pic of the scope on the AR-15, but he doesn't mention what brand and the pic isn't close enough to see the mfr of the scope.

realmiamiheat010.jpg

any other tips, advice, or parts suggestions will always of course be welcome. ;)

Edited by WyattEarp
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palmetto makes good stuff. Can't go wrong with Spikes Tactical either. A lot of the scopes that offer red and green come from NCStar that makes knock off and replica stuff. I'm sure this could be something else, but the slant of the front on the scope looks like some NCStar that I have seen.

Guest WyattEarp
Sorry to disappoint but you haven't been able to register a AR as a machine gun since 1986. You can make a SBR though.

i stand corrected, i got it backwards when I was trying to remember the exact terms of doing so. I don't see the point in doing an SBR if it wasn't full auto, so I'll just build this one as a semi-auto with the SSAR-15 slide stock, then later down the road, I'll buy a pre-86 registered machine gun receiver, pricey, but eh, no biggie.

Guest WyattEarp
Sorry to disappoint but you haven't been able to register a AR as a machine gun since 1986. You can make a SBR though.

ok, found out that I can drop in a DIAS (drop in auto sear) that was registered before 1986 into this AR-15. reason is the DIAS is considered by the ATF to be "the machine gun", so you can drop it in any AR-15 you want, because the DIAS itself is the machine gun and is registered.

so that's what I'll be doing eventually, but for now, i'll be content with just building it up and having fun with it till I can afford a DIAS in 5 or 6 years.

it was previously answered here, I just forgot about this thread.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa-firearms-accessories/59474-m-16-ar-15-conversion-questions.html

and when i get the RDIAS, i can either have safe, semi, auto. can't have safe, semi, burst and auto (according to what I was told by Dolomite).

Edited by WyattEarp
Guest WyattEarp
Have you purchased your receiver yet?

not yet. gotta get some cash flow going again. looking at mid-jan before I buy.

If I happened to fall into $20k, then I'd probably pick one up... Otherwise, I'll stick with getting the Slidefire Stock. What kind of rifle are you planning to build? 16" or 20"? Flat-top or A2?

I'm thinking a 16" flat top, with a rail mount scope, slide-fire stock. figure the rest out as I go.

Guest WyattEarp
yeah, if I came across 20K in discretionary funds, than I would be paying off my student loans, and credit cards. Been paying them for four years not and still got over 10K left. errr....

I hear ya, but I'll be sure to get most of that taken care of before I get one. aside from house, I don't think I'll be buying much on credit after college. had enough of owing people money, and glad I don't owe too much right now. The slide-stock should satisfy my itch until it's feasible to get one :D

there was nothing more enjoyable when I was in the Army, than firing 3 round burst and getting behind that SAW in the prone and let loose on some targets and sawing them right in half! Hoooooah!

Something like this may be an economical way to get you there in the meantime.

plumcrazy ar-15 lower & slide fire stock free ship : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

Not sure how well the poly would hold up under much rapid fire, but when you are out of school, rolling in the dough, and spending $15k on something to go full auto, what would be another $200 to replace the lower?

One thing you need to remember when you buy a receiver it must be a low shelf design to use a RDIAS. It will not work in a high shelf.

Here is a link to high/low shelf receivers and RDIAS. I don't care that much for the forum but when you wade through the BS you can find some good info. Some of the info is dated on recevers but it is a start.

AR Lower Receiver FAQ (56k beware) MMS, CMT, LAR, LMT compared... - Page 6 - AR15.COM

Edited by R1100R
If you plan on a slide-fire stock, which by the way is ridiculously expensive, you might want to go ahead and start buying ammo now. The are cool and all but that $350 stock is liable to triple your ammo costs. But that's just me.

My 9mm build will be dedicated SSAR-15, so I'm taking less of a hit :)

One thing you need to remember when you buy a receiver it must be a low shelf design to use a RDIAS. It will not work in a high shelf.

Here is a link to high/low shelf receivers and RDIAS. I don't care that much for the forum but when you wade through the BS you can find some good info. Some of the info is dated on recevers but it is a start.

AR Lower Receiver FAQ (56k beware) MMS, CMT, LAR, LMT compared... - Page 6 - AR15.COM

yup, have to have the holes for the sear pin as well.

If I ever bought the slide fire stock, it'd be with a .22 conversion kit. I don't think I want to blow 20-30 cents a round just for the thrill of seeing brass fly. I can get just as much "thrill" at a couple pennies per shot.

By the way, if you're REALLY considering dropping that kind of cash for a RDIAS or FA, why not just buy up ammo instead? In times of economic crisis or a huge jump in materials prices, not only will your investment be safe, you can get your money back a little at a time. And just try extracting your cash in a pinch if you needed to sell the weapon quick...

If you want that type of scope, Kruger makes one that is decent. The optics and fit and finish are quite a bit better than the Nstar or BSA. Nashville Sporting Arms carries them, but I don't know if they have any in stock now. I picked one up a few months ago and so far I am pretty impressed, considering the cost.

Edited by quietguy
Guest Blown4v

22 lr doesnt have neough recoil to properly work the slide fire stock. And those things are ugly.

i still dont see the big deal or even advantage of a FA AR. Accuracy goes out the window and cost of ammo goes up.

AS for the build..

Get a Mega billet upper/lower combo and build from there. Rainier or DD barrel, handguard of choice, proven BCG. It will be easy to get upwards of 2k in this build with hand picked components, but some say even in the AR arena that yo uget what you pay for

You can build an AR for cheap, or you can build an AR for $$$.Will they both perform? yep

PSA seems to be making a name for themselves, I have read of some previous QC issues, but probably no more of a ratio than manufacturers who spit them out by the thousands

You cant go wrong with a build of a high $$ rifle or a low buck one, if it works for you, it works. Once you start, one will never be enough, you will want a 14.5 pinned, a SBR, a middy, a dissy, etc, etc, etc

yup, have to have the holes for the sear pin as well.

You do not have to add any other holes than what are in the standard AR15 lower.

All you will need is the DIAS, M16 carrier, M16 trigger, M16 selector, M16 hammer, and M16 disconnector.

Edited by Jasongar8