1911 Suggestions: Kimber - Springfield - Colt or ???

TNMP40

I have never owned a 1911 and would like to get one in .45 but really not sure which way to go.

Willing to pay for something of excellent quality and I want it to look nice as well. Anyone have

some suggestions. If you do what is a fair price to pay for what you are suggesting.

Thanks for all your help.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest shooting each of those before settling on one. I've shot a Springfield, but had to go with a Kimber. Just felt better to me and I shot better with it. On the flip side, my buddy loves the Springfield but not my Kimber. Its a personal preference thing I guess. Last I heard, Kimber was backlogged on production so current prices are probably a little inflated. I got my Tactical Pro II for about $800 used a while back.

If you're willing to spend $1500 I would buy either a Springfield TRP( I own one) or a Dan Wesson Valor. You can do adequate interwebz research on both. I actually bought my TRP brand new for $1175 out-the-door. So if you look around at local gun shops you can find good deals from time to time.

Now if your price point in not that high, I can recommend others but I'd start there.

I like the Dan Wesson Valor at the $1500 level, Les Baer at $2000, Ed Brown at $2500, and Wilson Combat at $3000 (all rough MSRP approximations as Brown and Wilson offer so many options that prices vary wildly).

Guest dubaholic2

colts were great guns, pre series 80. now the quality is not what it once was. springfield makes some nice 1911's, but i prefer the kimbers. as someone already stated, its all personal preference. once thing is for sure though, you cant beat the 1911 platform!

Guest Catfish36

Thanks for posting this. I am also beginning my search into 1911's. 1st project is still to find that little pocket pistol .380 I keep mentioning (strongly leaning towards the P238 now)...but after that I am going to start putting back for my first 1911. Maybe this time next year I will be about ready for that..but beginning the research now.

Going to check out that 1911Forum now!

colts were great guns, pre series 80. now the quality is not what it once was.

In my experience, Colt seems to have righted the ship. I bought a new Series 70 a few months back, and it is extremely well put together. Much better fitting than either of Springfields I have owned. Nothing against Springfield, just think that Colt has turned the corner from a quality perspective. The triggers on the 1991s still suck, but the fit and finish issues appear to have been taken care of.

If you look at what you get for the money, the Springfield Range Officer is about the best deal going in 1911s (IMHO).

If you want a Commander-sized gun for carry, I would look at the Kimber Pro Carry or the S&W 1911PD.

If you just want a Mil-Spec shooter, then Auto-Ordinance and Rock Island are hard to beat for the money.

Guest TresOsos

Personally I'd get a Colt, Standard 5" Government Model for starters.

As for Kimbers, you can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig. You pay for bangels and bobbels and finishes, but the basic gun is still a $500 to $600 gun. Oh and you get to pay for those fancy glossy magazine ads too.

You know...for your first 1911; I'd buy something basic...reliable...not too expensive; there will always be expensive ones out there later.

I own quite a few 1911s and most of they are the expensive to quite expensive; I love them or I wouldn't have them but I think there is something to be said for a good, basic govt. model; $495 or so should get you out the door with a nice one.

I forgot to mention the new Ruger 1911. That also looks like a lot of gun for the money.

As for Kimbers, you can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig. You pay for bangels and bobbels and finishes, but the basic gun is still a $500 to $600 gun. Oh and you get to pay for those fancy glossy magazine ads too.

First, I have to say that I have been on both ends of the Kimber spectrum. I had a Ultra Carry that was nothing but problems. I have a Pro Carry that I can't see ever selling. I don't think I will ever try another Ultra, but wouldn't bat an eye to buy another Pro or Custom. The break-in is painful, but IMHO the end justifies the means. My Pro Carry took about 450 rounds to get right, but the result is fantastic.

Sure, they spend a lot of money on advertising and that gets transferred to the purchase price, but so does Wilson, Nighthawk, STI, and Springfield.

Bottom line for me, if I want a lightweight frame, Kimber and S&W go to the top of the list. If I want a heavier gun, then Colt and Springfield would be my choices.

My Kimber Ultra CDP II is a great pistol but I wouldn't get it for my first 1911. I have several from pistols Colt and Springfield Armory and each has been accurate and dependable. The Ruger 1911 would be a good choice if you can find one. Try to hand several before making a choice. Warranty and Customer Service would be considerations as well as price. The SA TRP is an excellent pistol in the over $1000 range.

Edited by tnhawk

I would put every 1911 in your hand that you can find first and see which one feels the best. Shooting each one would be even better but that maybe a little hard to accomplish. My first 1911 was a Taurus...Traded it off about a year later. It shot good but was a little sloppy for me. After trading back and forth on others I finally ended up with a Springfield Loaded and im satisfied. I would look at the Range Officer if you want to go the Springfield route. I'm partial to them but most of them are great guns. Some are just better than others. If your budget is between 1k-2k the TRP is a great choice. (IMHO)

Don't forget the Remington R1. I'm still seeing these in the $700 price.

R1-1.jpg

This is what I bought for my first 1911. I heard the early ones had bad fit/finish. However the one I bought has great fit/finish. 100% reliable with the WC mags. Really good for the money.

I looked at alot of 1911s before i bought one so i went with the kimber custom II already put different grips on it to add a little contrast, i really like it about 300 rounds through it with no malfunction of any kind,dont really care for the swartz safety on it but as long as you dont grip the frame safety when taking the slide offf no big deal.I guess its all doun to personal preference.

Wow thanks for all the info. Too bad there is not a range that had a large selection of guns to rent before you buy. My buddy just bought a Springfield and I will try his out first. I do not like how my XD shoots so I am shying away from Springfield. The Kimber felt really good in my hand. To be honest I shoot better with Revolvers. Keep the suggestions coming. It's all great info.

Wow thanks for all the info. Too bad there is not a range that had a large selection of guns to rent before you buy. My buddy just bought a Springfield and I will try his out first. I do not like how my XD shoots so I am shying away from Springfield. The Kimber felt really good in my hand. To be honest I shoot better with Revolvers. Keep the suggestions coming. It's all great info.

Just know the 1911 and XD are totally different guns made in different countries even. Don't judge one by the other