My Expierence Today...

dbla

I've been debating about putting this online, but I figured I might as well share my thoughts. Today, as a post-Christmas/Birthday gift (my bday is the 18th) I was on the prowl for a Gen4 Glock 26. Subsequently my father, also as a Xmas Present had me on the lookout for a Gen4 Glock 19.

I was calling all over town, everywhere that was open. I talked to Guns and Leather (both), D&T Arms, The Armory, The Outpost Armory, Hero-Gear, Eastside Guns... I even called Nashville Sporting Arms, and thought about calling Franklin Gun Shop.

I ended up purchasing the guns from Guns and Leather in Greenbrier (Thanks Nick!), Dad wound up with a Gen3 19 instead of a 4, while I still was able to find a Gen4 26.

Here's where I wanted to share my experience: I called The Outpost Armory, I was told that the [guy on the phone] didn't have time to talk to someone who wasn't in the store, and that he couldn't tell me whether or not he had what I wanted because he couldn't stop what he was doing to help me. Let me state this, I understand, I've worked in retail I get that things can get busy, but I felt that it was inappropriate to tell me that he didn't have time to deal with me because I wasn't standing in front of him. I live a ways away from their store and there's no way I'd drive from Nashville to Outpost without knowing. My father and I wound up spending over a thousand dollars today. Perhaps to The Outpost Armory this is just a drop in the bucket, but I don't do that very often, so The Outpost Armory has effectively lost a customer primarily because I won't be buying another gun soon, and if I am I'll go to G&L first.

I'm not trying to be "that guy," once again, I get being overwhelmed in a retail setting, but he should have put me on hold or not answered the phone I think. I don't know the circumstances, but I can't imagine he couldn't have put me on hold and while he was taking the background check back to the customer he couldn't have swung by the Glock counter and peeked inside. Either way I'm stoked with my new firearm.

- Aaron

I went in Saturday to the Outpost and bought a little LC9 for the wife for Christmas. They told me $369 for it. I waited for an hour and a half for my background to clear (something wrong with the TCIS, not their fault). I went back today and picked it up. The guys who worked Saturday weren't there and I told the girl at the register that they dropped the price from $389 to $369. The girl at the register went back and checked with the manager and came back and told me that she didn't know who told me that but that it was a special edition (pink) and they don't discount them. I told her I wasn't making it up and they didn't want to give me the benefit of the doubt I don't guess. She also charged me for my background check which I paid for on Saturday. She refunded the $10 but the look on her face seemed like I was lying again.

I've spent probably close to 3k in there since the fall and stop by about once a week.

I'm not very pleased. I've had good experiences lately at G&L, they will probably get my business from now on.

I bought a Sig P220 at G&L for $830 a couple weeks ago. Outpost's price was $995....another reason why I will shop elsewhere. Although I did notice that the prices at the Hendersonville store at least on sticker are quite a bit less than at Greenbrier...what's up with that?

Edited by Kenstaroni

I agree about G&L, my wife is not very gun savvy and the guys working out in Greenbrier have been VERY helpful and accommodating when she comes in. I've bought a decent amount of guns in the last six months, all but two have been from G&L. They've been incredibly helpful.

To be fair D&T also has been EXTREMELY accommodating and friendly. They sold me my M&P and I will do business with them again, they just didn't have the Glocks today :-/

I work in retail too and I have had disapppointing experiences at some of the smaller gun shops too. I have seen things that did not make any sense at all and was treated pretty poorly and fed lines of B.S. Good Customer Service does not cost anything.

The folks at T&K, and the folks at Guns and Leather treated me exactly how I wished to be treated. They are in business to serve the customer, not the other way around. They will have my business

Edited by Nashville Slim

I have yet to have a good experience at The Outpost. If the prices and distance from my house weren't enough, the lack of service just put them out for me. I went in when I was putting together my first AR, the guy behind the counter went out of his way to tell me that assembling a lower myself was a "piss poor idea", to use an exact quote. Anyone who has ever done it knows that a trained monkey could probably 'build' an AR lower. As an aside, I have no idea how they got my email address. After unsubscribing from their list three or four times, I finally had to set my email to filter all their stuff into the spam folder.

In any case, D&T not only has better prices and is closer to me, but I've never had the guys there display such an arrogant, condescending attitude.

Guest dubaholic2

i have been a retail store manager and currently work in the retail gun sales world and i could not imagine someone that worked for/with me talking to a customer like that. if someone is calling you to inquire about a firearm, they are in the market, or at least may be in the future. that is your time to be a "commercial" for your establishment. some people just dont want the business i guess.

i have been a retail store manager and currently work in the retail gun sales world and i could not imagine someone that worked for/with me talking to a customer like that. if someone is calling you to inquire about a firearm, they are in the market, or at least may be in the future. that is your time to be a "commercial" for your establishment. some people just dont want the business i guess.

I agree.

The last time I was there I was in the market for a MSAR STG. Theirs was $2600.00 and I bought mine elsewhere for $1100.00. I was treated like crap while I was there. I ask to see the rifle and was told in a minute. I had already been there 1/2 hour. I won't go back. I also tell everybody I know about it.

imo The Outpost rests heavily on the gov. contracted laurels of Barrett. Everytime I have set foot in the place I have been treated as a burden. Funny I have never seen very many customers there. The Outpost sucks. I wouldn't buy so much as a box ammo from them if they were giving away free Glocks with every purchase.

I haven't had any dealing's with The Outpost but my wife has been in G&L and was treated rather well. Customer service make's or break's a gun store, you do the best you can for your customer. If you drop the ball or screw up on an order or quote you tell the customer. If its wrong then make it right, a sastisfied customer bring's or send's their friend's and families to you.

GLaD (hah!, been playing Portal) to hear about your experience. Nick is new to us and is quite young compared to the rest of us, good to hear he's doing well enough. This Christmas season we've been... overwhelmed to put it lightly. I've been working at Greenbrier for about 10 years now, and dont remember a time when we were as busy as we are now. It's great and good for business, but I think it's starting to tax on our folks, myself included. It's nice to hear someone getting a good experience amid the madness. Just serves to drive me and the guys onward. I'll pass it along to Nick, I'm sure he'd be happy to hear it. Lord knows the boy needs all the encouragement he can get haha.

Thanks for your input Daniel, I've dealt with Nick a couple times now and he's been great every time. My Dad and I both a fairly new (within 6 months) to the hobby/addiction of gun ownership and Dad was uneasy buying a Gen3, he saw it as the 4 is new and thus superior. Nick was very helpful in that area and was able to provide Dad with a "from experience" opinion on the two models and from that Dad was able to make a good decision with his new piece. That's a valuable trait in a salesman.

a few years ago I was looking for a GSG-5, I went to Outpost and they had a few...which where way over priced, I asked to look at one of them, I asked for the best price out the door... then he said ...well HK is suing GSG so I'm not sure if I should even sell this...he took the gun back and put it in the back... I then came home and looked online and just bought one from a gun store in NY... I just go to look now...so I can feel and decided what I want and then come home and buy it off line :D I think the Barrett son owns the gun shop... they ripped the government a new one with the contract... hints that’s why a .50cal cost what they do for the public... they can't charge any less... further more I haven’t seen any good prices at On Target ether... Wal-Mart had the Remington AR sportster for like 8 something...On Target had there’s at almost 1000...I called them for a LEO price on a glock too...he said it would be $560 OTD... which is way off from what a GLOCK LEO dealer is suppose to charge for them $396...plus tax and tics doesn’t equal $560... I don’t throw my money around... I understand you have to make money...but I’m not getting greased and bent over

My parents aren't real gun savy, but they were going to buy me some ammo last Christmas. They went in the Outpost and told the man behind the counter what type of guns they were buying it for and told them just for target shooting. One of the guns was a .38 revolver. The guy behind the counter told them they could get either a .38 special or a .38 super, and they were the same thing except that the super is just more powerful. Thankfully, they just bought the .38 special. After Christmas, my Dad was asking me about it and if what the man had told them was in fact true. I made sure Dad was not confused between super and +p, and he was certain the man was talking about super as he had put a box of it on the counter. At that point, I realized I would probably never go back in there for anything.

This story would not surprise me if it had occured at Wal-Mart, but I feel this type of misinformation is unacceptable at a dedicated gun store.

Edited by dats82

Somone correct me if I am wrong. There is only one LEO primary dealer in Glocks in TN. I believe they cover a multistate area. Sub LEO dealers have to pay more than the primary Glock dealer does because the primary dealer has to make a profit too. Sub dealers then have to charge more than the primary dealer charges them to make a profit. How much more each sub Mi//Leo Glock dealer charges is a market decision of the seller, usually driven by the buyer.

I've been to the Outpost quite a few times on trips to visit an old friend in the Manchester area and nearly every time walk away empty handed scratching my head. I just figure they have the luxury of many I24 customers.

Buying at G&L is great, I just avoid it on weekends. It has been like Black Friday on weekends for years it seems. Having Jeff Wall there is a huge benefit. Nice guy and very competent. There is an obvious reason G&L is so busy. Congratulations to them.

G&L is making a lot of smart business moves with their indoor range, training facilities and customer service. They will also refer a customer to another gun store that maay be more acessable to the customer. A business that does right by the customer and take's the right step's in expanding move's forward.

Here's where I wanted to share my experience: I called The Outpost Armory, I was told that the [guy on the phone] didn't have time to talk to someone who wasn't in the store, and that he couldn't tell me whether or not he had what I wanted because he couldn't stop what he was doing to help me.

They better make time or hand the phone to someone that will. I live in Murfreesboro and have never been able to buy a gun at the Outpost or On-Target. I have to travel 60 miles North to G&L at Greenbrier to buy “locally”. But I’m not a “looker”, I’m a buyer and already have my mind made up before I get there. I wouldn’t think of making the drive without calling to make sure they have what I want, and they have always checked to see.

I’ve about given up on buying locally and the last few I have bought from Buds or CDNN.

Based on the way they do business; they must really be selling a lot, so I don’t guess we need to worry about losing local shops. :)

Edited by DaveTN