What gun did you use to take your carry permit class?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Man, the testosterone is thick in here. How did this go from your weapon of choice in qualifying for your HCP to bragging about how little of your target was left? Forgive me if I sound like a jerk, but who cares? I don't remember that being part of the OP's original question.

For the record, I placed 100% of my qualifying shots on the target, but that's more a testament to the accuracy of the Hi Power I used than to any supposed skill level I possessed, which at the time was virtually NONE, other than knowing which way to point it and how to pull the trigger.

Wonder if anyone could hit 100% in a real, live high-pressure SD situation? I know I couldn't, no matter how accurate I am standing still at 7 or 15 yards punching holes in paper. Yet that's one thing that a lot of instructors fail to mention, the adrenaline dump and the loss of fine motor skills when you actually have to defend your life or the life of someone you care about.

Remember the 11th commandment: Thou shalt not kid thyself.

:eek: The OP asked about the shooting portion. People were relaying their experiences. :)

Guest msparks

Glock 26, since that is what I planned on carrying. One ragged hole in the center. By the end I was speed shooting the 3 and 7 yard targets (we had 3-7-and 15)

Guest RobThatsMe

My suggestion is simple.

Use what you feel comfortable with.

You are not graded on the caliber, or if it is a revolver or pistol. You are graded on your accuracy.

You can always purchase your carry weapon of choice at a later time, and practise, practise, practise.

Rob

Guest lostpass
Do not worry about failing. You cannot fail unless you shoot the instructor..........

You fail if you shoot the guy even once? Everyone makes mistakes!

I will be taking my carry permit class next month and was just wondering what gun you used to take yours. More so what caliber. As of right now I just have my XDm .40. Is there information somewhere that tells you the distances and accuracy you must hit to pass? Haven't shot in a while. I will be putting in some range time and was wanting to make sure I practice at those distances. Thanks.

I used my Sig P226 that I carry for mine but I used my 22LR conversion kit so it only me $1.44 to fire my required 48 rounds vs $17 for a box of .40 FMJ.

You do I think 12 shots at 3 yards, 24 shots at 7 yards and then 12 shots at 15 yards and you only need to hit inside the 7 on the full size targets. Funny thing about it, you only need a 70% to pass. So you can actually hit the target and 3 and 5 yards and then miss every shot at 15 yards and still pass.

XD-9Tac. Shots at 3, 7, 15 yards. Mark (Instructor) saw my target, and asked that I aim at a different spot so he could count the rounds, then laughed and walked on. So, I went with headshots for the last series, and yes, that's six rounds, not three. If "I" can pass, anyone can pass.

I loaned my CZ SP01 and Beretta 92 to buddies from work that took the class with me. Most everyone else shot the Ruger 22/45 supplied by the range, except one of my other buddies that went with us took his Mosquito. 3 shots, jam. 4 shots, jam. 1 shot, jam. Everybody in the class almost gave up on him.

2012-01-13_07-01-58_999.jpg

Edited by McAllyn
pic was too big

I used my Rock Island 1911 CS because I'd bought it the day before and was looking for an excuse to shoot it.

My wife used her Pheonix Arms HP22 with the short barrel because Uselton told her it was garbage.

A guy I work with used this little folding pocket .22 derringer revolver that he's got that takes about 5 minutes to reload and has a 1/2" barrel.

My point is, the gun doesn't matter, just use what you're comfortable with and you'll be fine. If I had to do it again I'd use the HP22 - save my self a few bucks to buy a decent holster for the .45 AND annoy a gun snob? Win-win.

- V