What gun did you use to take your carry permit class?

I will be taking my carry permit class next month and was just wondering what gun you used to take yours. More so what caliber. As of right now I just have my XDm .40. Is there information somewhere that tells you the distances and accuracy you must hit to pass? Haven't shot in a while. I will be putting in some range time and was wanting to make sure I practice at those distances. Thanks.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a an XD-45. I could have used a slingshot and passed. This ain't no Army marksmanship test. Your XDm-40 is a fantastic pistol. I own one myself. It will give you good service. When I took my test, I pretended like every shot was a do or die shot. I was dead serious! But the little old lady next to me started shooting at the wrong target (she passed) . The young man on the other side had an $800 target pistol (he beat me). WTF! This is a test to see how you would do in a self defense situation, treat it as such. Take this test with all seriousnesss. Do not worry about failing. You cannot fail unless you shoot the instructor..........

I used a Ruger Mark II, because I had no idea how strict the shooting qualification would be. I figured, better safe than sorry. In retrospect, I could have smooth-bored my Hi-Point C9 and still qualified.

They ask you to get 70% hits on a standard full-size silhouette. The shots are 12 rounds each at 3 yards, 7 yards, and 15 yards. Then there are 12 rounds at a distance of the instructor's choice (usually easy, since he wants you to pass), totaling 48 rounds. It's not hard at all, since you can completely miss the silhouette almost once out of every four shots and still qualify.

Guest Catfish36

Will Carry is right on all accounts. I enjoyed the class and the test (just enjoyed getting into guns and shooting in general). I bought my first handgun G27 .40 on a Tuesday afternoon at CCA in Knoxville. I planned on shooting it for a few weeks and then going to take my test. But I thought I would ask about when the classes were given while I was there. I assumed they were all on Saturday. Scott said, "We actually have a class starting tonight and ending on Thursday night..if you want in I will give you a discount on the class with this gun purchase." So I took it..went to class that night (without even firing this gun)...but knew we would not be shooting until Thursday night. Shot a little on Wednesday with it..and was not very pleased with my results..so I went Thursday afternoon and took some time before the class learning my new gun and getting use to it. That night I took the test and did the best shooting I had ever done with a handgun...better than alot of the others in the class if I do say so myself.

But the test is mostly done in the 7 yard range, this is due to the practicality more than likely in a shooting situation you will not be a long way away..(if you are..you can probably find another way out of the situation). I think some of the shots are made at 15 or 20 yards..but not too many.

Good Luck and Carry with Pride,

Catfish

I used a Glock 19. It was my first handgun. Any quality Glock, XD, Ruger, S&W, Sig, CZ etc... will be more accurate that you are so it really won't matter. I'd only shot my G19 a few times before the class and I scored 100%. If I were retesting today I think I'd either try to have the smallest hole in the class or do it left-handed. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying I'm a great shooter. It's just that the test is easy for any reasonably coordinated adult. Then again, most self-defense shootings are at very close range so the safe gun handling is probably the most important part of the class anyway. Show up sober, follow directions, be safe, are use a proper grip and you'll pass. If you haven't shot in a while, now is as good a time as any to review the basics like grip and trigger pull. Practice dry-firing safely with an unloaded weapon a few minutes every day and you'll probably have one of the smaller groupings.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest Lester Weevils

Agreeing with others, don't sweat the shooting test. I took it seriously though, and enjoyed the class.

First time was a rented Beretta Cheetah .380. Second time was a Beretta 92FS. Had to take a second class because one time I was incredibly lazy and slothful and allowed the permit to expire.

I used one of the ranges used Glocks (G19) since it was included in the cost of the class. All but 7 of the 50 rounds were in the red... the others were very close. Like everyone else said... it's pretty simple. There were ladies there with brand new DAO .380's that hit 100%. I pity da fool that messes with them!

Guest packingheat

I used a Glock 19 and wife used a rented .22 caliber revolver. Wife has arthritis in wrists, so the .22 didn't punish her as much. She likes the 9mm, but 25 rounds is about her limit. The caliber was not recorded by the instructor, so it didn't make any difference what caliber was used. As a side benefit she could actually see where every round hit the target, while mine had a pretty good hole in the middle. I actually started shooting at the eights on the target so the instructor could positively identifty where each round hit. My instructor didn't try to count holes though - he just glanced at it and scored me at 100%. I hadn't shot a handgun in 30 years or so, so I made a few trips to the range prior to qualifying. I would recommend at least a couple of trips, but some in the class had no prior shooting experience whatsoever and everyone in the class passed.

@ the OP: I used a Taurus 605 .357. Shot .38 SPL. I really appreciated the part where you do reloads. Before that, I hadn't ever considered stuff like which way the chambers turned, or the difference between reloading with a speedloader v. by hand. Like others have said, there's really not a wrong gun, and the standards are nothing to sweat.

My wife and I both shot my Smith and Wesson Model 18 Combat Masterpiece in 22 long rifle. This was partly due to ammo cost and availability at the time. The shooting portion of the test wasn't difficult, however, as I scored 100%, and her 98%. If a person couldn't pass what we were required, they definitely don't need a carry permit. You will be able to pass it with most anything; don't sweat it!