If you had 700 dollars to spend on a rifle, what would it be and why?

gjohnsoniv

If you could spend 700 dollars on a rifle new or used, what would you buy and why? I'm thinking about purchasing a new rifle but I don't know which direction to head. I'm leaning toward a bolt action or lever action, but I want to get some feedback on what else you would recommend.

I was considering a 700, always have liked them. I want something that is good for general hunting and long range shooting.

How long are you thinking? The better they get at long range, the heavier they get for hunting. Can't beat a 700. I have one in .270 with a sporter barrel. Nice and light for carrying around. I don't try to shoot it a long distances though. It's a little over a 1 MOA rifle.

Around here the max for hunting would be what, about 600 yards to 800 maybe? I keep wanting to go back to a lever-action though. I had a Winchester Model 94 and loved it but made the mistake of selling it a while back. Possibly get a lever action again and just put some nice optics on it. Even though this is the exact opposite of what I just said.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

800 yards is a good haul. A 1" group is going to be 10" at 1000 yards. Lever guns are fairly short range, because of the calibers they come in. I like them too. I have a Marlin 30/30 that I've never shot, but I sure like playing with it :-). I think it's about a 200 yard gun with the old round nose ammo, and you can push it to 300 with the Hornady stuff.

Guest USMC 2013

Savage .308. Get the model with the accu-stock and you will have a gun capable of putting kill shots into deer sized, and larger, game at 500 yards. Easy to find great ammunition for also at a wide range of bullet sizes. Plus, it's super easy to re-barrel and change the caliber on a Savage rifle if you ever decided to. Semper Fi,

Joe

I would take a look at the Remington 700 Heavy barrel Varmint that Dicks runs on sale for $449. It’s got a cheap scope and stock on it, but I think you can throw those away and still have a pretty good deal.

I have a VLS 700 in .308 and was looking for a used heavy barrel .223 just for cheap center fire trigger time. I can’t find used for less than that deal at Dicks on new.

Whatever you buy you are going to need a high quality scope for long range shooting. Is that included in the $700 figure?

You aren’t going to shoot a lever action at 600-800 yards. If you think that I would stick with Beer & Lap Dances. :biglol:

I'd put the $700 you are giving us with the $2000 that Il Duce is giving us (over in 'the what if thread') and buy something really cool - maybe even a couple of somethings. Thanks, guys!

Seriously, though, since you asked, "What would you buy and why?" I'd buy a lever action .357 carbine. Stainless with wood. In fact, I hope to buy one (probably the Rossi version) at some point after I finally get off my butt and get started reloading. Whatever is left of the $700 can go toward ammo and/or reloading supplies. Of course, I have no real desire to shoot anything at much beyond 100 yards or so. Oh, as for the why part of the question, because I love lever actions and .357 Magnum is probably my favorite all-around cartridge.

Now, can I have another few hundred bucks so I can buy a single action revolver in .357 to pair with it? Thanks!

Failing the lever action, I would probably buy a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 because I don't own anything in .223, see the practicality of owning something in that chambering and don't really have much desire for an AR type rifle.

Edited by JAB
Yep - that's what the lapdances are for. There are all sorts of game animals to chase.

And I guess the similarities with long range target shooting is that you end up dreaming about hitting something that you are never really going to be able to hit consistently unless you are willing to spend a whole lot more money.

Savage model 99 in .308 winchester. WHY? Well, I love the 308. I think it's the best "all around" cartridge ever made. I love the 99. It's the only lever action that is "pointy bullet friendly" (<-- that's a technical term) AND, I don't own a 99. Now there's some lucky dogs *couchgregcoughcouch* who own many.

I doubt many would agree but a Savage 99 in .308 tossing a 200g cast boolit sounds like a boat load of fun.

And I guess the similarities with long range target shooting is that you end up dreaming about hitting something that you are never really going to be able to hit consistently unless you are willing to spend a whole lot more money.

That is an interesting and accurate parallel.

Well if you were asking ME, what I want, it would be a 1894s in .41 Mag. Because, I like the .41 Mag. Black Hawk I have and it needs a partner. In fact that is the one rifle I plan on finding this year. Hopefully.

Now I also want .308 of some sort, been thinking about trying to find an old Remington 788. I have always heard that they are some pretty darn accurate rifles for the money. Not the most beautiful, but are cheap and accurate. Could always buy a different stock for it and probably still not have a ton in it.

Oh yeah, a 99 in .308 would be nice. Nice lever action in a long range caliber.

Edited by Sidinman