CZ VZ 82 Consideration

• Moderators

I very much like the idea of picking one of these up. I wish I could find one in person, but I cannot unless I luck out at a show. Where the best place to buy one of these online?

I would like one in as close to original condition as possible, with the best original finish available.

A while back there were several shops that let you pay a little more to hand pick your gun (from pictures, I guess?) but I do not know of anyone currently doing this. You want to look at the surplus shops, the places that specialize in milsurp guns. They will have some and you can get one in "nearly new" condition for, last I heard, between 200 and 300. These specialty shops are the ones that let you pick your gun.

The cz83 is the exact same gun in 380, though if you pester CZUSA enough you may be able to get them to import you a 9x18 instead (lack of US customers for the caliber = none imported, they make it for euro customers). If you want a high quality, new gun, that is the answer.

When I got mine, I ordered it online, sight unseen. I have no regrets...especially for the price.

The problem I suspect you'll run into is that few if any shops stock them. The original finish is not very likely to impress you much. It's usually flaking and chipping from heavy use or worn off and dull in the case of moderate use.

They can be made to look great for a little of nothing. I had mine cerakoted, added Marschal grips, and substituted Beretta mag baseplates. All sum total, including the original gun price, I have around $350 in it.

28c415d9.jpg

Edited by BigK

Well I have very much looked at the CZ 83's, but I cannot decide on a .32 or .380. How serious do you think they would be if I requested a 9mm Makarov version?

If you ask for it, they will get it for you, as I understand it. It may take a while, and they may try to "talk you down", but if you want it and nothing else will do, they will get it for you (eventually).

the 9x18 is pretty close to the 380 in performance, and the 9x18 performance has been cut way, way down in the USA (and imported ammo) while 380 has been beefed up. Today's "hard hitting" buffalo bore ammo for 9x18 is weaker than the self defense loads I bought in the 90s, according to the published energy and all that, and everything except buffalo bore is much, much weaker than it used to be. So the real issue is cost. If you reload, its the same, about $3-4 per box. If you buy it, 9x18 is about $10 a box (or less!) while 380 is typically 5 buck higher per box, or more! Otherwise, the 380 is effectively the exact same gun. The 32 is going to be a lot weaker and more fun to shoot (the 380 and mak have a bit of recoil, not bad but it can be stout), however that is also a pricy round per box compared to makarov (and it also reloads on the cheap).

I would call them and try to get the makarov caliber 83. The worst that can happen is it takes a while or they say "no".

Edited by Jonnin

BigK, your CZ looks similar to mine, at least the two-tone scheme! They do clean up nicely - I have about $275 in mine (refinished it myself) and used Grips4U grips (great product and excellent price!).

309og20.jpg

Edited by Reg

BigK, your CZ looks similar to mine, at least the two-tone scheme! They do clean up nicely - I have about $275 in mine (refinished it myself) and used Grips4U grips (great product and excellent price!).

309og20.jpg

Very nice looking. Almost makes me want to run out and get one.

Wideners in Johnson City has them for a pretty good price w/holster & two magazines. They only have left handed holsters now but I'm not interested so much in the holster...the extra mag is a nice bonus. I ordered one but haven't had a chance to go pick it up yet so I can't speak for the condition of the finish. From the examples other posters have provided a flawed finish can be greatly improved upon and everything I've read about them is that they are excellent as far as functionality is concerned.

Other sources you might consider are gunbroker.com. There are several listed with pictures so you can sort of handpick I guess but the prices are higher and then there is shipping and FFL if necessary. Cdnn.com has them listed in their catalog cheaper but they only come with 1 mag and again there is shipping (plus I don't know if they have any left).

Can't wait to pick mine up and take it for a spin at the range.

I would check SOG. Right now they have 82s for $189. If you add the $10 hand pick, your looking at the same price as wideners for the same thing, but you have the peace of mind that you got the hand pick. Another plus is that you won't have to pay sales tax on the gun from SOG like you do at wideners. My knock on Wideners is that they don't offer hand select and they don't take returns like Southern Ohio Gun. I did order a 82 from Wideners and it is nice with minimal wear on the slide. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Those are some nice looking pistols, I want one of those now. Question though, did you bead/sand/whatever blast the frame and just leave it bare or did you coat it in a cleat coat of some kind. I would like to redo one of these for a person I have in mind. Also Reg do you ever shoot over at CCA? If so, do you think it would be possible for me to take a look at yours and hold it one day?

Edited by gjohnsoniv

I have to say, you guys did a wonderful job turning a surplus beater pistol into a thing of beauty. I love the model 82 and for the price, I don't think you can find a better pistol. 9X18 might not be everyones caliber of choice, but with what has been shown here, they are very worthy of a makeover. Great job and seeing your results reinforces my idea to do the same with one.

which beretta mag base did you use it look good.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier (still getting used to the new forum software). I used these baseplates for a Beretta 92 or 96. They were on sale for $4 each at the time, but they still aren't bad at $6 now.

So do those baseplates just slide on or do you have to modify them any? I am quite taken with this project...

I can't speak for the ones Reg has on his, but the Beretta plates slid right on like they were made to fit. I'm heading to my garage now to see if the rubber baseplates on any of my CZ 75 mags will fit my CZ 82. I'll let you know later, but I bet they fit just fine.