Lowe's cuts out all commission sales

As of 2/10/2012 Lowe's discontinued all commissioned sales for employees, employees were offered a weekly bonus equal to half of there weekly average commission from the previous year. As an employee of Lowe's for several years I think this is a move on the wrong direction. For all of our customers this is a step in turning Lowe's into Walmart. Any thoughts on where a better than average salesperson can find a good commission sales job with benefits in the West Tennessee area?

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Guest bkelm18

Meh. I guess since I've done maintenance type stuff for several years I rarely, if ever, have the need to speak to an employee at such stores for anything so it doesn't affect me as the consumer much. Sorry about the pay cut though.

I'm confused , as usual. How do they pay a commission , no one ever asks who waited on me ?

I think it's only or major purchases, appliances, cabinets, flooring etc. but I've never worked there, just speculation.

Seems to me no commission might take the bias out of customer service.

As of 2/10/2012 Lowe's discontinued all commissioned sales for employees, employees were offered a weekly bonus equal to half of there weekly average commission from the previous year. As an employee of Lowe's for several years I think this is a move on the wrong direction. For all of our customers this is a step in turning Lowe's into Walmart. Any thoughts on where a better than average salesperson can find a good commission sales job with benefits in the West Tennessee area?

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Were you receiving an hourly on top of the commisions?

Will those who have their commisions cut in half still have hourly pay/

Dolomite

Yes but at a considerable pay cut. Most of us can't live on our hourly pay. Lucky for me I can along with my "weekly allowance" but most cant. The average McDonald's employee makes as much without the stress of the job.

Lowes did pay commission on all special order sales and big ticket items such as appliances and lawn mowers.

And no selling cars is not an option. Too ethical for that.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

In some markets short timers might have passed you off to someone else I the next person was more qualified to help. If you have had selective customer service you shoul have brought it to someone's attention because that is not stood for in most stores.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

I think it's only or major purchases, appliances, cabinets, flooring etc. but I've never worked there, just speculation.

Seems to me no commission might take the bias out of customer service.

No offense to the OP but it doesn't matter what I go into Lowes for, they never ask or even seem to care.

I hope you find something where you can use your skills and be appreciated.

Guest bkelm18

No offense to the OP but it doesn't matter what I go into Lowes for, they never ask or even seem to care.

I hope you find something where you can use your skills and be appreciated.

I've been asked if I could be helped a couple times. The only time I needed help was to locate something since I couldn't find it, usually they had no idea what I was talking about. Found it myself a few minutes later. Granted those employees probably aren't the ones affected by commission sales.

I was at Lowes today, the employee I talked to said Lowes is changing, they are going to cut back on in store stock & are going to push on line sales?

Yep, another example of following in Best Buy's footsteps. Too bad the online prices won't be any cheaper, which is one reason why they have a difficult time competing with online retailers like Amazon and the like.

Before long you'll begin to see these big box stores start using buildings with far less square footage. Times are a changin', and that's the only way they will be able to compete with online retailers who don't have the overhead of gigantic stores and the employees to operate them.

The last time I sold a special order at Lowes, I got about 1% commission, down from 4% a few years ago. Next month, there's no commission. I get commission only on special orders. With no commission, It's not worth my time to order anything for a customer, as the next customer in line is going to buy something we have in stock. At the currrent time, my store has less than half the stock we had 5 years ago. Empty spots on the shelf stay empty for weeks. We sure ain't Cabelas!

BTW, hourly pay at Lowes is just enough to starve to death slowly.

Edited by enfield

JTM������

Sent from my iPhone

This is big corp at its finest and dumbest ..I am 100% for offering incentives and commissions for any and every sales position no matter

what the store ...CEOs are so freeking greedy these days that our country has been sold down the river

Edited by SonnyCrockett
Guest nicemac
And no selling cars is not an option. Too ethical for that.

You imply that you have to be unethical to sell cars.

That is absolutely false. There are plenty of ethical people selling cars. (and no, I am not one of them)

Edited by nicemac
With no commission, It's not worth my time to order anything for a customer, as the next customer in line is going to buy something we have in stock.

This is the attitude about customer service that makes me hate commission sale stores. An employee's job should be to help all customers equally with their purchases. It shouldn't matter if they are buying a $10 hammer or a $2,000 appliance.

• Like 2

You imply that you have to be unethical to sell cars.

That is absolutely false. There are plenty of ethical people selling cars. (and no, I am not one of them)

I apoligize for that. I spent 13yrs as the parts department manager on a new car dealer and know several ethical car salesmen. That line is a joke between me and a few of them that are still my friends.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

This is the attitude about customer service that makes me hate commission sale stores. An employee's job should be to help all customers equally with their purchases. It shouldn't matter if they are buying a $10 hammer or a $2,000 appliance.

I agree with this and have done so for many years. I you won't pay commission then pay me appropriately.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone