Carried in Knox Co Courthouse

I had a doctors appointment this morning in downtown Knoxville. It took a couple of hours, much longer than I anticipated. I also had some business at the Motor Vehicle Department in the Old Knox County Courthouse for my employer. So I drove over to the courthouse thinking about what I had to do at work today and how to make up for the lost time.

Parked on the street and went into the Old Courthouse. I placed my bag on the rollers for the X-ray machine and began to put my keys, wallet and cell phone in the tray. The deputy at the X-ray machine walked back to the front of the machine and held up my briefcase. He asked "Whose is this"? I said "It's mine". The deputy asked "Do you have a carry permit"? It then hit me, my 1970's age S&W J frame is in my briefcase. I grabbed my wallet from the tray and showed him my Handgun Carry Permit and said "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking about having that in my briefcase. I'll go put it in the car and come back". He said ok, and handed my briefcase to me.

I sure thought I was in trouble but it turned out to be nothing, thanks to a deputy with some common sense.

Al

Edited by Knox Al

I had a doctors appointment this morning in downtown Knoxville. It took a couple of hours, much longer than I anticipated. I also had some business at the Motor Vehicle Department in the Old Knox County Courthouse for my employer. So I drove over to the courthouse thinking about what I had to do at work today and how to make up for the lost time.

Parked on the street and went into the Old Courthouse. I placed my bag on the rollers for the X-ray machine and began to put my keys, wallet and cell phone in the tray. The deputy at the X-ray machine walked back to the front of the machine and held up my briefcase. He asked "Whose is this"? I said "It's mine". The deputy asked "Do you have a carry permit"? It then hit me, my 1970's age S&W J frame is in my briefcase. I grabbed my wallet from the tray and showed him my Handgun Carry Permit and said "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking about having that in my briefcase. I'll go put it in the car and come back". He said ok, and handed my briefcase to me.

I sure thought I was in trouble but it turned out to be nothing, thanks to a deputy with some common sense.

Al

Did you carry it past a legal sign? Because court houses are not off limits under the law, only courtrooms while court is in session.

It's a good thing you weren't in Rutherford County. The deputy's there won't even let women bring in their purses, and ANY metal at all will set off the detector. I took off my belt and all change in my pocket, had no other metal except the zipper on my pants. I even took out my wallet. It ended up being a dime I missed in my pocket. Kinda overboard if you ask me.

• Like 1

Unless it was posted, it's not off-limits to carry in a courthouse. I have carried in the courthouse here many times, even in the courtroom when there for a county commissioner meeting.

Interesting. I was under the impression that basically all government buildings (federal, city, & county) were off limits. Reading a bit confirms that it's only in the room while judicial proceedings are in progress.

Guest bkelm18

Did you carry it past a legal sign? Because court houses are not off limits under the law, only courtrooms while court is in session.

Unless it was posted, it's not off-limits to carry in a courthouse. I have carried in the courthouse here many times, even in the courtroom when there for a county commissioner meeting.

There are metal detectors as soon as you step foot into the Knox Co. courthouse. They ain't gonna let you carry. I don't know if it is actually posted properly or not.

Interesting. I was under the impression that basically all government buildings (federal, city, & county) were off limits. Reading a bit confirms that it's only in the room while judicial proceedings are in progress.

City, county, and state buildings have to be posted just like anywhere else.

Edited by bkelm18

There are metal detectors as soon as you step foot into the Knox Co. courthouse. They ain't gonna let you carry. I don't know if it is actually posted properly or not.

Perhaps, but it still isn't automatically off-limits, even if they have metal dectors.

City, county, and state buildings have to be posted just like anywhere else.

Yep and Federal Law requires Federal Buildings be posted with a sign that states they are such. 18 USC § 930(h)

Guest bkelm18

The Knox City/County building is posted and has metal detectors, but I am not aware if the Courthouse is posted or not. I am trying to get the commission to unpost any county own building.

Isn't the city/County building and the courthouse the same building? I know I had to go to the County building to go to court for a speeding ticket.

Guest A10thunderbolt

The court house on the river in Knoxville is posted. No Knives or guns. At least it was a couple years ago, I don't see anyone pulling the stickers of the doors.

The court house on the river in Knoxville is posted. No Knives or guns. At least it was a couple years ago, I don't see anyone pulling the stickers of the doors.

That is the City County Building. Runs from Main St, over Hill St, to the river. The "Court House" is the old original brick building next to it, corner of Main and Gay. Has separate entrances, although there is one connector from The CC building to it also.

What's confusing is that the City County Building has (I think all?) the courts in it, while the Court House is all or mainly admin offices.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Also, aren't post offices considered federal property?

Sort of. USPS is an "independent agency" of the gov.

I have read that their no-weapons policy is such that they don't have to post, it's in the "rules" rather than USC law.

I just got back from PO myself. Oops.

- OS

Sort of. USPS is an "independent agency" of the gov.

I have read that their no-weapons policy is such that they don't have to post, it's in the "rules" rather than USC law.

I just got back from PO myself. Oops.

- OS

That is my understanding as well.

BlackHawk93. I know what you mean. I went for jury duty about 5 years ago and had a 2" blade pocket knife. I had to take it back to my car and stand in line another 20 minutes.

They may have no done this then, but I know 2-3 years ago when I had a bunch of business down there at the city/county building that they would check knives for you.