Which Glock and why?

gjohnsoniv

Guest Victor9er

Glock 19 or Glock 23 depending on your preference for 9mm or .40SW

The 26 / 27 give up a lot in terms of ergonomics and capacity for hardly any gain in concealability. The 17/22 give up a lot in terms of concealability for hardly any gain in ergonomics or capacity. Just my practical take on the matter.

Agreed. What's the hardest part to conceal on a gun? The handle. What's the biggest advantage to buying a sub-compact? Less handle to have to conceal. What's the first thing 95% of people do when they buy a sub-compact? Add an extension to the handle! :wall:

By the time you add the extension you're basically turning it into a 19 or 23. You may as well just get the compact at that point. And while the 17 / 22 are both great in their own rights (they make for a perfect "house" gun) the extra capacity and grip is a minimal advantage over the compact models.

To me, if you could only have one gun to serve as an all purpose gun then it would be either the 19 or the 23.

Edited by Victor9er

Agreed. What's the hardest part to conceal on a gun? The handle. What's the biggest advantage to buying a sub-compact? Less handle to have to conceal. What's the first thing 95% of people do when they buy a sub-compact? Add an extension to the handle! :wall:

By the time you add the extension you're basically turning it into a 19 or 23. You may as well just get the compact at that point. And while the 17 / 22 are both great in their own rights (they make for a perfect "house" gun) the extra capacity and grip is a minimal advantage over the compact models.

To me, if you could only have one gun to serve as an all purpose gun then it would be either the 19 or the 23.

Add the 36. I have a 19, 23, and 36 now. They are all basically the same size, and use the same holster. I had to put a +0 extension on the 36 to stop pinky bite.

• Like 1
Guest adurbin
Pot stirring :stir: get a Kahr IMHO better trigger , lighter weight , smaller size , more concealable , safer to carry. :hiding:

Let it rain ......... :popcorn:

I wholeheartedly agree! Now back to said glock posts.

Guest 6.8 AR

is that a pair of 357's off to the right?

The big one is a 29 Smith(.44) and the other is a Taurus.357. I recently got a 29-3, not in the picture.

I carry J Frame revolvers since I left LEA but when I did carry for duty I liked the G19 or G23. I have small hands and the gun fits me perfectly. I own a G23 (3rd Gen) and it is the only centerfire semiauto I do own now. I keep current with it just in case my"assistance" would ever be needed again. Prior to carrying Glocks I carried a Colt Commander, similar size.

Guest Victor9er

Add the 36. I have a 19, 23, and 36 now. They are all basically the same size, and use the same holster. I had to put a +0 extension on the 36 to stop pinky bite.

I wouldn't include a G36 in a discussion of "if you could only have one Glock which would it be" because I feel that you'd be compromising too much just for the sake of stepping up to the .45 caliber. You lose more than half of your ammo capacity by going to the G36 (6+1) as opposed to the .40 caliber G23 that will hold 13+1. That's a huge drop off in firepower for a minimal gain in caliber size. And that's not factoring in the cost of the .45 ammo to practice with on a regular basis, or that a lot of people aren't comfortable with the recoil from a .45 caliber.

The 9mm and .40 S&W are much easier to handle for a lot of people, the ammo is usually cheaper, and with the G23's and G19's capacity of 13+1 and 15+1 respectively, I think they make for a much better choice than the G36 if we're talking about only being able to have ONE gun.

I wouldn't include a G36 in a discussion of "if you could only have one Glock which would it be" because I feel that you'd be compromising too much just for the sake of stepping up to the .45 caliber. You lose more than half of your ammo capacity by going to the G36 (6+1) as opposed to the .40 caliber G23 that will hold 13+1. That's a huge drop off in firepower for a minimal gain in caliber size. And that's not factoring in the cost of the .45 ammo to practice with on a regular basis, or that a lot of people aren't comfortable with the recoil from a .45 caliber.

The 9mm and .40 S&W are much easier to handle for a lot of people, the ammo is usually cheaper, and with the G23's and G19's capacity of 13+1 and 15+1 respectively, I think they make for a much better choice than the G36 if we're talking about only being able to have ONE gun.

You don't have to include it, 'cause it's not your gun. I've been moving toward .45 recently because the hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up. The last two pistols I bought were .45, both new, and both in the last few weeks.

If you don't like the caliber, then don't use it. get what you want. The ONE Glock I bought recently was a 36. FWIW, the first high capacity 9mm I bought was in the '70's. Still haven't needed those 15 rounds.

The G36 is a great pistol. My ammo is cheap enough. I think the bullets were 13 cents or so.

Guest Victor9er

You don't have to include it, 'cause it's not your gun. I've been moving toward .45 recently because the hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up. The last two pistols I bought were .45, both new, and both in the last few weeks.

If you don't like the caliber, then don't use it. get what you want. The ONE Glock I bought recently was a 36. FWIW, the first high capacity 9mm I bought was in the '70's. Still haven't needed those 15 rounds.

The G36 is a great pistol. My ammo is cheap enough. I think the bullets were 13 cents or so.

No need to get yer panties in a wad... if it works for you then great, go for it. After all everyone is different and I was generalizing. I just know that a lot of people would like to have more than a six shot capacity if they could only have one gun. I suppose as long as you had other guns in your arsenal then it wouldn't matter, but I was approaching it as if the Glock you had to choose was the only gun that you could own in this senario. But if you're comfortable with 6 shots when the zombies come, more power to ya!

;)

No need to get yer panties in a wad... if it works for you then great, go for it. After all everyone is different and I was generalizing. I just know that a lot of people would like to have more than a six shot capacity if they could only have one gun. I suppose as long as you had other guns in your arsenal then it wouldn't matter, but I was approaching it as if the Glock you had to choose was the only gun that you could own in this senario. But if you're comfortable with 6 shots when the zombies come, more power to ya!

;)

Yeah. That's how the thread started out, and then it turned into a show your Glocks thing. I started out with wheel guns. My favorite held 5 rounds. So, high capacity has never been a big deal to me. I don't plan on any huge gun battles. My 1911's are single stack too.

I don't feel under-gunned with 7 rounds, especially with an auto loader. I don't carry a backup gun either. If I was an LEO, both would be serious issues. Would I have a 36 as my only gun? Sure would. Do I think .45 has a little edge? Yes, I do.

I'd go for the 36, not because it's a 45ACP, but because it's the only Glock that feels reasonably comfortable in my hand. I bought a 17 thinking I'd adapt to the gun, but I hated the feel and sold it shortly afterwards. The 26 and 27 have enormously wide and thick grips. To me, it's like holding a potato. They have the worst grip of any semi automatic handgun I have ever held. What was Glock thinking? Anyone who needs a thicker grip can always add a Hogue handall, but you can't make a grip smaller without extensive machining. I can understand a big grip on their full size models, but not on their subcompacts. As you may have guessed, I'm a small guy with small hands, but all of the other major brands make a subcompact with an acceptable grip for me... but not Glock.

Edited by jgradyc
Guest StorminMormon

The obvious answer here is a Glock 34 chopped to the height of 26 with the add-a-grip to bring it back up to 19 height.....rounded out with a 33-round G18 mag. Naw, for real, a G37 with Cold Bore Customs Grip-reduction with the bobbed-tail and rounded triggerguard, Warren Tactical Night front sight/Plain rea, 3.5 lb connector and $.25 trigger job and Vickers mag release. John Moses ain't got nothing on this Perfect piece.