I'm thinking about replacing my knife, what do you think I should get?

It's hard to beat a Spyderco for the money.

I don't "carry" any knife I can not afford to loose, break, or if I have to abuse.

The SpyderCo Tenacious can be found for around $40 (or less)

The next would be a Native III.

I have a Benchmade called the Mini-Pika II. It is also great for the money.

But I'm not sure it is made any more.

But the kicker is I carry a Buck Bantam (small) all the time.

It doesn't hold an edge as well as the others but it sharpens back up FAST.

Plus, I've never had it rust on me yet, I've left it in clothes soaked with sweat in the summer.

I have had other knives (even stainless) rust when left in sweaty pockets for days.

The stonewashed stainless Kershaw would do this in a couple days. But I think they changed the steel to "fix" this problem

As I have seen others do this as well.

No I really don't have any problems with big pocket knives. I carried a Hammond Cruiser for a bit but liked the Sog because it was a tad thinner.

You will love the ZT 0350. Kong and I have some very expensive knives and yet we both continue to carry the 0350. Trust me it is the best knife you will get for $100.00

Guest lostpass

My preferred carries:

Gigantic:

Zero Tolerance 0300

Pretty Damn big:

Zero Tolerance 0350

Just right:

Kershaw Scallion

On the small side:

Baby boa

But I am a big fan of assisted opening knives, using a knife easily with one hand is a big deal to me. I think the best values are from spyderco. I hate the holes but a lot of people love them and can use them well one handed. Benchmade knives are also really nice.

In truth, you could probably get something really cheap and wear it out, buy a new one and come out ahead in the end. But where is the fun in that?

Edited by lostpass

I've gotta go with a Spyderco Military. I've owned many knives, Striders, Chris Reeve, and several custom makers included. But I always go back to the Military. Very light for a large knife if you get one with G10 scales, and has an s30v blade, which takes and keeps a wicked edge. Fantastic knife, and can be had relatively cheaply.

Check out the Cold Steel Voyagers,a lot of knife for the money.It features the trad lock which is very strong and CS has a very good heat treat on their AUS8 steel,a lot better than other makers,you can find them for around $50 online

I've gotta go with a Spyderco Military....

Hate knife threads without pix. :)

Spydie Military:

36gpcmo.jpg

Great knife for sure. Carried the Camo one for a good while, will probably periodically go back to it.

I prefer 3.5 - 4" blades for main carry knife. But always have my Buck Stockman for normal tasks -- it's mostly what the citizens see. :)

41DUic9m2AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Currently carrying a Chink Kershaw Tremor, just to prove I'm not a snob. :) Really do like it, and have gotten hooked on the assisted opening.

KS1950a.jpg

Also a Buck Vantage Force Avid, even though it's only 3.25".

ecb7b683eec7f8685854e083ac71.jpg

Also very much like the Cold Steel 4" Voyager, both older and new model.

IMG_1873.jpg

I want my main carry knife to have a decent point on it. Even my last ditch stand necker follows that advice (Meyerco Law Dog):

LawDog.jpg

- OS

• Like 1

I like the Spyderco brand, but I don't like not having thumb studs, and I really don't want to put "street studs" on it. Least that's what I've heard them called, where you put a ziptie and clip it on the back part of the circle. I like your last ditch OhShoot, I carry a Kbar LDK. I have gotten a ton of use out of that little thing. It's also really flat so I can carry several places without it printing or sticking out too much.

One thing I always keep in mind when looking for a new knife is the orientation of the pocket clip. I like the hinge side to be facing down when it's in my pocket. I had one that went the other way once, and I could never get the hang of smoothly removing it from my pocket and opening it.

One thing I always keep in mind when looking for a new knife is the orientation of the pocket clip. I like the hinge side to be facing down when it's in my pocket. I had one that went the other way once, and I could never get the hang of smoothly removing it from my pocket and opening it.

And if you're left handed, your choices become much more narrow. The majority of folders, especially in the less expensive lines, even if they allow tip up or down option, will be right handed only.

- OS

Nope, I'm the only non-southpaw in the family, I'm also the only one with red hair of all things. Yeah the pocket clip for me has to be one the keeps the hinge down so that so that I can pull and open the knife in one motion. The CRKT knives are surprising nice when it comes to being able to switch the clip around.