Look what Caster got...AR fans only

Caster

Did some horse tradin'. Dunno if I got beat, but I ain't been this happy since the hogs eat up my twin brother!

Check out this old Colt A1 upper. Pencil barrel, chrome lined, 1/12 twist. Bore is nice, you can tell it's seen use, but it's very nice and lots of life left. No forward assist, and the charging handle is not old, but the BCG is M16. I've already stuck it on one of my other AR's and it shoots AWESOME with a 50g soft point.

DSC01915.jpg

DSC01916.jpg

Here's a mock up of what it will look like. I picked up this battered old scope at a gunshow a while back for a decent price. I still need the all the parts to put this stock on a lower. A tube, spring buffer, upper stock screw and some little detent thingamabob. I've never assembled an A1/A2 type buttstock so I need to look at an exploded view and figure up what all I need. I also need an old style three prong flash hider. I can buy a new one from midway for like $8 but I'm hoping to find an old crusty one. I also need an old type grip like the old bakelite ones. I want it to have a battlefield pick up look to it. I'll likely fork over the extra bucks to NODAKSPUD for an appropriate reproduction lower and charging handle.

DSC01918.jpg

So? Whatcha think? Anyone got some parts that would be appropriate, shoot me a PM.

The only adjustment I'd make to your plan is to maybe do the graphic on the buttstock in a subdued black on black scheme. That upper is a classic; it might look a little gaudy with the bright graphic.

Yeah, I picked that stock up a while back and had a different plan for it. I'll likely take it off completely or maybe as you say redo it very subtly.

The Bakelite grip would not be correct for an SP1 or any model of M16. The Bakelite grips also had a really bad tendancy to chip right at the top behind the trigger. That becomes painful to hold and shoot. All of the Army contract and SP1 rifle grips were black fiber-reinforced plastic. You need a black A1 grip without the finger groove of the later A2 grip.

Keep an eye on GunBroker and FleaBay for the 3-prong flash-hider. They show up pretty often.

The older buttstock is the one with a rubber buttplate and no recess for cleaning tools. Most of the SP1s came that way. Later SP1s and M16A1s had the buttstock with the recess.

The older 1/12 twist used with a .22 Atchisson or Ceiner conversion shoots best with standard-velocity ammo. I used to use a lot of Remington Target ammo until a few years ago when their quality control went downhill. The Federal AutoMatch seems to shoot pretty well though. For full-power use, the M193 55gr FMJBT is the correct load and will give excellent accuracy.

I know it would do well with the .22 LR, I just can't get into it. I dunno why, I just can't get into them no matter how hard I've tried.

1gewehr, thanks, I didn't know that about the grip. I'm not going for a restoration but I'll keep it as close as I can.

Guest alloyguitar

I have an old m16 upper laying on my desk right now, along with an m16 lower.

....it's a shame that the upper was cut in half and the lower was crushed into 2039482305984205982 pieces.

I'm definitely jealous.