Dyson Vaccums

hipower

Guest Broomhead

Get one, we have had one for years and it is amazing how much crap that thing picks up. We thought it had burned out but I took it apart and washed out the permanent filter and it's as good as new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another or recommend one to someone. You will need to keep the canister emptied, the hair cleaned out of the brush and just general maintenance, but other than that it will amaze you. I can go from a completely empty canister to a full one in two vacuumings and I vacuum pretty regularly.

I don't know about being too aggressive, it won't tear up the carpets if that's what you mean.

Guest mcgyver210

Ok, seriously, Macgyver; what do you mean about being agressive on floors. We have hardwood and throw rugs.

OK I was really trying to stay a little neutral on this but not sure I can now.

1. Any vacuum that has a beater bar should not dig into the carpet leaving lines in its path. This can cause damage in many ways including but not limited to friction burning, tip blooming etc.... Now this is more easily noticed with higher pile construction but can also happen with lower piles without leaving as noticeable lines hiding the damage. A properly adjusted beater bar will just barely vibrate the fiber releasing the dry particulate from the fiber to be suctioned out.
  2. If your vacuum waste collection contains a significant amount of carpet fiber your vacuum is most likely slowly thinning out your carpets weight which also means it is most likely too aggressive. Now if your carpet is New or almost new you could still have a significant amount of excess staple fiber so it would be normal to see extra fiber in your waste collection in most cases.
  3. Now on hard surfaces most any vacuum or sweeper will do a decent job as long as it has good suction at the floor & the beater bar can be disabled. Be-aware though if you use your vacuum on carpet also you should check for any foreign objects that could scratch your hard surfaces especially soft woods & stones such as marble.

My statements above can apply to any brand of vacuum so I’m not really just picking on Dyson.

I've had the big yeller one with the ball for about 7 years or so. Still runs perfect and I'd buy another, ( with the ball.).O, almost forgot. The clear dirt chamber doubles as a Bug Cage Ring. I sucked up a wasp and yellow jacket. It was battle royal with front row seats.

Edited by Tncobra
Guest mcgyver210

I've had the big yeller one with the ball for about 7 years or so. Still runs perfect and I'd buy another, ( with the ball.).O, almost forgot. The clear dirt chamber doubles as a Bug Cage Ring. I sucked up a wasp and yellow jacket. It was battle royal with front row seats.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey, I categorize them as power tools, so it's within the realm.

I have had one of the blue Dysons for a few years (not a ball one). Just all around pretty crappy vacuum, though it works okay as a glorified shop vac. The auto-level adjustment doesn't work well, so you have to hold the handle in just the right position to get the brushes to engage the floor. My wife won't even use the daggone thing because it is so frustrating to do anything with it.

I recently got a Shark Navigator Pro. Wasn't too expensive, decent reviews, and the thing works well and is well thought out. I can't attest to durability, but I'm impressed with it so far. On top of that, my wife will use it, which, of course, is a good thing.

As someone mentioned look at Consumer Reports before you buy. While Dysons are well made and perform well they command a hefty price. Four years ago I went on the vacuum search and started researching it. Dyson does do well for the most part. About every complaint is backed up with hundreds of good reviews. When it was all said and done I went with a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser. It does a good job but after a few years of daily use (well mostly daily use, I vacuum the house 5 to 6 days a week) it is showing its age. I have replaced the handle and the lock lever once. The last time the handle broke I used Hysol to repair it and its still going strong :) Over all I am pleased with it. Anyway after reading about vacuums I learned that while the Dyson does well, it will vacuum up the same amount of dirt just a little faster than the Bissell so that made up my mind.

As I said earlier, my wife hated the Bissel we found. Too heavy and bulky for her to use easily. Maybe there is a smaller version. We will try looking for a location that sells more than just one of each brand. It's kinda rigged so you see just enough to confuse, but not enough to make an intelligent choice sometimes. I really long for the days when you could go to a vaccum shop, not a big box store. Where the salespeople actually knew something besides the price on the tags.

I have had a Dyson for about 7 years, no problems. It is the best vacuum I have ever owned. We have three dogs that live inside and we vacuum at least once a day. We use it on hardwood, tile and carpet with no problems. If you're going to buy a new one you can get it from bed, bath and beyond and use the 20% off coupon they send out all of the time. We saved close to $100 on ours that way.

Guest Broomhead

If anyone in the Nashville area wants to try out an older model Dyson before buying one, you can come by and vacuum my house...for FREE!!

I am in the same situation. My yellow lab sheds like crazy. I have killed a Hoover and a Bissell in a year and a half time. I keep eyeing these Dysons but the price is steep. Will Home Depot take one back if I bought one and it wasn't worth the $$.?

Now to get this thread back in true TGO fashion.... What type holster carries best while using the Dyson?

Never had a Dyson; but I will NEVER have any "bagless" vacuum again. Those are the nastiest, filthiest demons ever devised. Give me a BAG I can just throw out. NOT a "plastic pot" I have to wash and wipe.

Amen to that. The whole concept of a bagless vacuum makes no sense to me. The whole reason I'm vacuuming is to make the dirt go away. I sure as heck don't want to look at it, much less have to dump that dusty, nasty mess in the trash can 3 times per use.

Yes, I vacuum (and mop) the house. I have two young kids and a dog with a mix of hard floors and carpet. I bought a bagged Kenmore with a HEPA filter for about $130 and its worked fine for the past 4 years.

The Kirby salesman came to my house a few years ago. He went through his whole pitch while I cleaned my SKS on the coffee table. When he told me the price, I almost fell off the couch. After haggling for a while, his bottom dollar was about half his initial price... $1400 went down to $700 in about 10 minutes. When I was convinced that was his lowest price, I told him.... "Look, if I'm gonna pay that much for something that sucks, it's d_mn sure gonna suck more than my carpet. "

Edited by peejman

I agree that the bagless system is a pita. We've got a DG-7 it works well but there is no way to take the cannister apart to clean it. I have to take a shop vac and run a hose in it. A vacum to clean your vacum ??? The little filter dirtys up pretty quick and you have to rinse with water and let dry which takes about a day. It works great for a little while and then needs cleaning again. One room fills the cannister "2 great danes" and needs to be emptied. Its an older model and the newer made be easier to clean.

I've had one for over 8 years now and absolutely love it. It's had 0 problems and still has not lost suction. I do like the newer ball versions (ours was before that) but the mechanics of the vacuum is very solid. Not a single thing on ours has broken. Pretty amazing for over 8 years old.

Buy with confidence.

Charlie

We have one and love it. I've found several "litters" of Chocolate Labs that match the real one we have. It has several filters that the air passes thru before going back in the room so it does keep the dust level down. The only thing I would change is to get rid of the baffles that are on the inside of the can. The dust & carpet fresh build up behind behind them and it takes a dremel tool or act of Congress to get them out.

Guest wrigolv

We have the dark Purple DC-7 and it works fine.

We were amazed at what it picked up the first few times we used it. Our carpet was only two years old and was much dirtier than we expected.

It's very easy to empty the chamber using a push button but I would recommend doing that outdoors if possible.

It is a PITA to clean if you do it thoroughly. Not sure if I'm cleaning it the best way but it works for me, keeps the dirty vacuum smell away and maintains the good suction.

First, I empty the canister using the push button. Then I take the cyclone canister out and spray it down outside with a hose pipe until all the little holes around the top are clear of the dust that builds up after a couple of vacuum cycles.

I then run water at the highest pressure possible through the intake holes at the top and then turn it over and run it through the holes at the bottom.

Shake it to drain the water and let it dry for a couple of days (if inside) or a day out in the sun will dry it well.

Just found this article which seems to indicate it may be a lot dirtier inside than I thought - http://dysonmedic.co.uk/why-a-dyson-dc07-needs-a-proper-service/

Guest rebeldrummer

Dysons are great....you realy get what you pay for. Been rocking one out for almost 5 years! No issues...however I cant say the same for MacGyver obvisouyl, HE SUCKED UP A WHOLE DOG from what I hear!! ha ha ha