Where to find good sushi

Guest rebeldrummer

Kroger (here in the Maryville/Knoxville) area has some really good sushi...suprisingly! And cheap too. $6 gets you 12 pieces i think....crunchy sprimp roll!!! Had it last week. And the "party" sushi I call it, California Roll, is only $5

Publix (finally coming close to home) has the same deal....good stuff...i had it while visiting a buddy in Hendersonville.

Check out Aya Sushi in Murfreesboro. One of the very few that's run by actual Japanese immigrants. Most Japanese restaurants in this area are actually operated by Koreans.

I also eat at Sam's Sushi in Nashville. Sam, aka The Sushi Nazi. (it's good, cheap, filling, and within walking distance of my office)

I gotta check some of these places out when I come back, hopefully the sushi chiefs are actually Japanese, not Chinese or whatever. I've been to the one in Brentwood, right off Nipper I can't remember the name, it has decent sushi, a couple other places (can't remember the names) were crap.

My favorite in Nashville is Sonobana on Whte Bridge (Lion's Head). It was Benkay for years. They changed the name, but not the staff. They have been consistently great for the 10+ years i've been going there. Haven't been in a year or so.

Virago.. OK. Ken's... usually OK.

I gotta check some of these places out when I come back, hopefully the sushi chiefs are actually Japanese, not Chinese or whatever. I've been to the one in Brentwood, right off Nipper I can't remember the name, it has decent sushi, a couple other places (can't remember the names) were crap.

There is a lot of crap sushi out there.

Sushi is Awesome and super yummy if done correctly and with fresh ingrediants. There are sushis that are fried Caster, kinda becomes soggy. Now I want some sushi...

Yep. I can get any meat eater thru a sushi experience without ever touching raw fish. A lot of it is cooked.

Guest Brianf88

Hanabi in Maryland farms I found out while going to joeys pizza during lunch. Has the best I promise you and has Orion beer 22oz for $9. Or Rusan in the gulch in Nashville but very packed go early.

Sushi Max. About 150 yds West of the town square in Lebanon. Check their website or call before driving from Hendersonville. They have strange hours. Closed for a period of time between lunch and dinner, even on Saturdays. But their sushi is GREAT!

Brad

Guest bluecanary25

Thank ya'll for the recommendations. I will have to look up the ones in Green Hills and Clarksville.

Trying to find a place to take my 83yo mother. (b. village of Yao, outside Osaka)

Tako, maki, ebi she knows... California Roll just puzzles the hell out of her. ("Why is avacado inside?")

EDIT: Googled Shintomi... is this place closed? Several review sites indicate as much.

Edited by bluecanary25
Guest FiddleDog

Thank ya'll for the recommendations. I will have to look up the ones in Green Hills and Clarksville.

Trying to find a place to take my 83yo mother. (b. village of Yao, outside Osaka)

Tako, maki, ebi she knows... California Roll just puzzles the hell out of her. ("Why is avacado inside?")

EDIT: Googled Shintomi... is this place closed? Several review sites indicate as much.

Sadly, yes. It was, imho, the best Sushi that Nashville had to offer. If you're mom's native, I know that the owners of Hanabi are Japanese (not as common as you'd think), and they are almost always there. They will treat ya'll well. Asian hospitality. It definitely sets a standard.

Edited by FiddleDog