Funny OC stories.

I live about a half mile away from a Kroger that shares a parking lot with a Subway restaurant. This past weekend I was doing some "spring cleaning" around the house and had my 1911 on waistband on a paddle holster.

Around mid-day a buddy came over for beers and video games ("Sorry hun. I have to stop cleaning the garage and entertain our *guest*!"). We decided to go to the Subway for sandwiches and then hit up Kroger for sodas. I absentmindedly neglected to switch over to my IWB holster when we left the house, leaving me basically open carrying. My T-Shirt was over the butt of the gun but it didn't cover the holster or the end of the barrel. This opened the door for two amusing stories, back to back.

1.) While in the Subway waiting in line for our lunch, my buddy went to sit down while I ordered (his subtle way of saying "You're buying, Viracnis"). While he was sitting, a woman with two children came into the store and was standing in line behind me. Her youngest daughter (maybe 5) was running up and down the length of the dining area singing and laughing and carrying on as 5-year-olds often do when left unattended. After a few minutes of staring at my buddy across the room, she calls her daughter over and whispers loud enough for everyone in the place to hear "You can play, but stay away from that man over there, ok?" as she pointed directly at my buddy.

I raised my eyebrow at her and she said "He looks shabby and I think he has a gun". I'd been standing next to her for the better part of 5 minutes with my gun-side toward her carrying on waistband. She was right at eye level with it as she was whispering this to her daughter. My buddy did not have a gun, he refuses to carry his because of the reactions he gets. He had a paperback book in the pocket of his cargo pants that she had been eyeing the entire time she'd been in the store.

Always one to rise to the occasion of harassing stupid people I said "Oh, I understand. I wouldn't let Anthony around my kids, either." She got the point and shut up pretty quick.

2.) So while I was telling him about that story (he's been practicing his quick draw on that "Game of Thrones" paperback for the next encounter) we head over to Kroger. After wandering around for a while we decide he's paying for the sodas (payback for lunch) and I'm buying a box of chocolate chip cookies.

So I'm standing in the checkout line with a $2 box of cookies on the belt with $3 in cash sitting on top of the box. I'm chatting with my buddy - a lively debate on the real-world application of a contained plasma field, probably - as the cashier is ringing up my purchase and making change for my $3 when he suddenly stops dead and turns white as a sheet. I'm not paying any attention, just standing there with my hand out waiting for my receipt and change while I'm making some cunning point in our debate when Anthony grins at me in his superior way and points toward the cashier. I stop talking and look his way, greeting him by name on his nametag and asking what the problem is. The exchange went like this:

Me: Hello <cashier>, is everything ok? Did I not give you enough?

Cashier: What's that?

Me: What's what?

Cashier: Is that a gun?

Me: Oh! Jeeze, I forgot about that. Sorry, yes it is.

Cashier: Are you robbing us?

Take your time here. Really let that sink in. I've got answers prepared for most questions that might be asked of me while carrying... but that one floored me. I had no rational, reasonable and detailed response that would have eased the kids fears. I debated something along the lines of "Yeah, but my wife made me promise I'd buy her a box of cookies first" or even "Are you kidding? At these prices, I'm getting robbed!" but eventually settled on a more sedate "No, sir." as I took my cookies and my change and left the store to the soundtrack of my buddy's peals of laughter and sarcastic comments.

- Viracnis

- AKA: The cookie bandit of Spring Hill.

Edited by Viracnis
  • Like 2

I frequent Moes across town form that Kroger. I've gotten the look from the kids and moms in there too. I guess they can tell its not a cell phone. Even though I know what there looking at I still check my nose.

"Is that a gun?" Haha, reminds me of one, not really an open carry story but... A friend and I were hanging out at my place one Sunday afternoon. It was nice outside, we had been doing some shooting, had put the guns to the side and were hanging out on the porch. Then another friend stops by with his two young sons, maybe 8 and 10. Now this guy isn't a gun guy and neither he nor his boys have been around guns much, if at all. While we are talking a crow flies up and perches in a tree. My first buddy grabs a 12 gauge and kills the crow. About the time it hit the ground the 10 year old boy shouts "Is that a real gun?"

Depending on the intensity, I can think of several uses for a contained plasma field...

And obviously, some folks don't use that grey matter between their ears for anything more important than fertilizing hair.

I think Chuck Norris has to use one to contain his awesomeness lest we all be instantly incinerated in his presence.

• Like 1

Well, if you can open a tiny hole in the containment in a specific direction, you've got a helluva carry weapon.

9.gif

Not as clumsy or random as a Glock, an elegant weapon from a more civilized age?

The story of "is that a real gun!" reminded me of a friend knocking on my door a few weekends ago while I was vacuuming. He sees my gun on my belt and goes "Do you always clean with a sidearm?"

My answer of "No, sometimes I use the shotgun for the really tough dust bunnies. " made Dr. Pepper shoot out my wife's nose behind me.

Edited by Viracnis
  • Like 1
Guest Sgt. Joe

Pretty much the opposite of an OC story but a funny carrying story to me none the less.

A few years ago as I was leaving our local K-Mart I stopped outside to scan the parking lot as I always do. The K-Mart is real close to one of our many "hoods" and since it was just getting dark I was taking my time looking for anything out of place.

The Security Guard saw me doing this so he walked over to me and asked me if I had lost my car, I told him no and that I was just looking the parking lot over for any possible BG's. He then went on to tell me that they had very few problems there and that I should not be concerned.

I then told him that it was not anything to do with the K-Mart in particular and that I always looked a parking lot over both coming in and going out.

He then told me that if I was so concerned about BGs that I should look into getting myself a carry permit and went on to explain just how to do it.

It was all that I could do to contain my laughter and not blow my cover as I was carrying a full size 9mm, an extra mag for it and had a 380 and extra mag for it in my pocket the whole time. :pleased:

I told him that I would consider what he said and chuckled all the way to my car. The man simply had no clue that I was armed and had reinforced my thoughts that I was concealing rather well. :lol:

I have not yet OC'ed anywhere but have stopped worrying about any printing and honestly do believe that for the most part that the general public simply does not pay much attention. I have a friend who has OC'ed for years and has yet to have anyone notice enough to mention anything to him about it.

I stopped at a gas station and was at the counter paying, the guy behind the counter notices my Glock. He looks at me and says, "Are you a cop?". As straight faced as I could I replied, "No, I hate cops". He didn't say anything else and kept his head down. I was just going to leave, but I decided to set him straight. I told him I was kidding and I love cops and that I was a responsible permit holder. He still seemed a bit nervous, but not near as bad as he first did.

Guest drv2fst

I lived in Memphis many years ago and had JUST gotten my HCP and was still very self conscious about CC. I walked into a convenience store an see the guy in front of the counter and the clerk behind the counter pointing a gun at each other. They see me at the door and both of them immediately put their guns down by their sides. Strangely, both seemed embarrassed but there was no stress or tension in the air. Also, there was an LEO in uniform over at the fountain drink machine ignoring the guys at the counter. Since they both lowered their guns, I figured it wasn't a robbery and proceeded to pickup what I came in for. When I got to the counter they were still standing their chatting with both guns on the counter. I gave them a strange look and they informed me that they were old friends and were just showing each other their new carry weapons. It was a strange encounter.

I lived in Memphis many years ago and had JUST gotten my HCP and was still very self conscious about CC. I walked into a convenience store an see the guy in front of the counter and the clerk behind the counter pointing a gun at each other. They see me at the door and both of them immediately put their guns down by their sides. Strangely, both seemed embarrassed but there was no stress or tension in the air. Also, there was an LEO in uniform over at the fountain drink machine ignoring the guys at the counter. Since they both lowered their guns, I figured it wasn't a robbery and proceeded to pickup what I came in for. When I got to the counter they were still standing their chatting with both guns on the counter. I gave them a strange look and they informed me that they were old friends and were just showing each other their new carry weapons. It was a strange encounter.

I believe I would have gone elsewhere.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I removed my jacket before going into Kroger, which left the Glock on my belt visible. (I typically conceal, but I've done this before on occasion, and no one has said anything or even noticed as far as I could tell.)

While shopping, I saw my next-door-neighbor (of 12 years) a few times, but she didn't seem to see me, so I didn't say anything to her. Out in the parking lot, I heard my name called from a few cars away - it was her, and she said that she didn't want to say anything inside the store because I was wearing "THAT!", as she pointed to my gun.

She wouldn't say why it bothered her, but during the conversation she did tell me that she would have her husband come speak with me about guns, since they've been burgled a couple of times, and he's been talking to her about buyng a weapon.

• Like 2
Guest bluecanary25

Several years ago in Krogers as me, THE BOSS and son were shoplifting (what you think I buy stuff there? :rofl: ). Teenage girl playing in the aisles (old enuff to know better). Passed me several several times. After going through half the aisles (we shoplift systematically for efficiency), this girl runs up and hugs my son!! The are friends in high school. My son introduces us and we chat for a few minutes.... when her eyes and mouth open wide in suprise.

She points to my side and repeats about 4 times..."He's got a gun". My son informed her that it is OK for me to have a gun.

Took her 4 passes and 5 minutes before she noticed.

For the anal retentive.... the shoplifting is to have fun with your reading.

Edited by bluecanary25
for a few minutes.... when her eyes and mouth open wide in suprise.

She points to my side and repeats about 4 times..."He's got a gun". My son informed her that it is OK for me to have a gun.

Took her 4 passes and 5 minutes before she noticed.

She should have went and gotten the manager and had them announce it on the PA...in case there was someone in the store who hadn't already heard her...and had an employee standing at the entrance announcing to arriving customers that there was a "man with a gun" in the store. Oh, the humanity!

Guest Sgt. Joe

I think that it is a horrible situation that there are so very many flavors of firearms in the world and a man like myself only has the means to taste of so few of them in a lifetime.....Tiss such a shame. :cry: