Coffee Filter Conspiracy ?

Is it just my feeble mind or have coffee filters gotten smaller like everything else these days ? I now have to pull the strainer out of the coffee maker to get the shorter filter out and into the trash can. I know for the past 40 years I could grab the paper used filter and coffee and go straight to the trash.

Rant Rant Rant ...

Hey Caster, is that Jolt on the market again? Or just a pic you brought in?

I bought a 6-pack many, many, many years ago when it first came on the market. Tasted like drinking pure cola syrup from the bottling company. It did however, keep me awake for several days. Then...I think I died.

We use one of those kuerig <sp> machines, everything that goes in and out of it is small. Handy boogers to have though for making tea, oatmeal, coffee and hot chocolate all from one device.

Edited by Sam1

Hey Caster, is that Jolt on the market again? Or just a pic you brought in?

I bought a 6-pack many, many, many years ago when it first came on the market. Tasted like drinking pure cola syrup from the bottling company. It did however, keep me awake for several days. Then...I think I died.

You can still buy it, but I think that can is no more.

I have one. Good coffee. Major pain in the butt

It's worth the pain to me, but then again, I'm a wee bit obsessed. I keep the beans in the dark until time to grind, double filter the water, carefully measure an ounce of coffee (by weight) for every 16 oz water, let the water heat in the electric kettle to 195 degrees, and never ever let it steep over 4.5 minutes. How's that for obsessed?

Guest pfries

I have a Bunn (well two) can't use the forever filters they over flow, fresh grind a French roast and like BigK I keep them dark and cool untill grind time.

The only ting beter might ba a Sweedish IV.

There's a shop over in Murfreesboro that roasts their own beans several time/week. When the beans are freshly roasted, a froth comes to the top as the beans release CO2. Hard to get beans that fresh at Kroger or Starbucks.

If you can stand wading through all the hippies, it's worth the trip.

Edited by BigK
Guest 6.8 AR

I enjoy the Starbucks stop when traveling to Knoxville. A good stop in Cookville. Only stop for the wife, though.

I won't pay that much, too often.

It's worth the pain to me, but then again, I'm a wee bit obsessed. I keep the beans in the dark until time to grind, double filter the water, carefully measure an ounce of coffee (by weight) for every 16 oz water, let the water heat in the electric kettle to 195 degrees, and never ever let it steep over 4.5 minutes. How's that for obsessed?

I'm pretty geeky when I use a French press too. I'm just lazy these days. Slip one in the chamber and mash the trigger. Coffee in about 15 seconds.

I enjoy the Starbucks stop when traveling to Knoxville. A good stop in Cookville. Only stop for the wife, though.

I won't pay that much, too often.

Everything they have has the same weird aftertaste, I usually stop by the mom & pop coffee shops. It all costs you more than dinner does, so they should start including some tylenol with your drink to help ease the pain.

514SkCt0a3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41jcORztAeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Forever filters. Da bomb.

- OS

The lower basket is what we have in our Cuisinart , but the paper filters you put in it , #2 or #4 ; I don't recall , are shorter than they used to be. It's kinda like the chip bags these days , full of air and only 1/3 full when you open them.

I'm pretty geeky when I use a French press too. I'm just lazy these days. Slip one in the chamber and mash the trigger. Coffee in about 15 seconds.

No doubt, easy wins too often. I have a press at home and at work. At work I often finding myself hitting the Kuerig-like machine we have.

+1 after living in Indonesia for a while with those fresh Sumatra beans I learned the French press was the best way.

Sumatra is one of my favorites. Costa Rican Peaberry is good too.

Is it just my feeble mind or have coffee filters gotten smaller like everything else these days ? I now have to pull the strainer out of the coffee maker to get the shorter filter out and into the trash can. I know for the past 40 years I could grab the paper used filter and coffee and go straight to the trash.

Rant Rant Rant ...

I have the same thoughts as well. Prices keep going up and quantity keeps going down!