Tactical Response - Fighting Pistol

Fighting Pistol Class

Tactical Response

Camden, TN

June 2/3, 2012

Instructors: Jay, Chester, Steve, David, Kayla

All the instructors were very professional and extremely knowledgeable. It was very evident that they all practiced what they were preaching. That was very comforting to me. I have nothing but good things to say about them all. The class attendees consisted of a variety of occupations such as policeman, fireman, lawyers, mechanics, security contractors, engineers, students, musicians, doctors and businessmen. Men and women whose ages varied from late 50’s down to 14. Everyone got along and enjoyed each other’s company and always ready to lend a helping hand. I recommend attending any cook outs, meals or gatherings that are offered.

The Fighting Pistol class itself was outstanding. It was the perfect mix of technical explanations broken down to dumb-ass terms that I could grasp and hands on application of the techniques. We all met up at the gear store at 0900 and started promptly. Short roll call and introductions at the beginning then straight to the safety rules and medical personnel identification. Before we knew it, we were off to the range.

I’m not going to spend lots of time explaining the training and instruction that was given (take the class!). My past experience is like many others. I grew up around guns, hunting and shooting all the time. I spent six years in the Army. I thought I was confident and fairly familiar with handling weapons. I was sadly mistaken. I quickly realized that I didn’t know jack squat and was completely unprepared to handle a weapon in a proficient manner.

The training was laid out so that a common, less than intelligent man such as me can grasp and comprehend the information the first time. I rarely had to ask a question for further explanation about the task they were trying to teach. When I did ask a question it was answered right away and I never felt like the instructors thought my questions were stupid or silly or a waste of time. The training taught from start to finish was as if I was learning how to walk all over again. They walked you through each step until you were running and jumping and rolling around. Do not think you are going to get away with doing it wrong too. There are eyes on you almost all the time. They catch things you are doing wrong and correct you right away and sternly. I like the way they are trying to keep the stress level up for us all. Twenty eight students split into two relays of fourteen. One relay ran at a time so five instructors for fourteen people. Perfect ratio for catching things you are doing wrong.

Gear-bring it all, it’s on the list for a reason. Make sure it is not broken. Be prepared. Have your magazines loaded and for God’s sake……BRING YOUR GUN AND HAVE IT LOADED!!! You wouldn’t go to work without your tools of the trade. Don’t show up at a gun class without a gun loaded and ready to go. Sounds simple I know. You will be surprised how many folks are not prepared.

I was using my daily carry S&W M&P .40 compact with a Don Hume J.I.T. Slide holster at 330-4 o’clock position. I was using Aguila ammo FMJ 180 grain. The gun ran flawlessly and shot like a dream. I had the required five magazines with pinky extenders (factory S&W). I carried two magazines on my weak side in a single Blackhawk! double magazine holder. I kept my last two magazines in my pants (Vertx) pockets and during training I would transfer those magazines into the mag holder when it was empty. My belt was a Galco instructor’s belt 1.5 inch double thickness reinforced. Bring sunglasses and a ball cap.

Expect to take some rib jabbing if you’re not running a Glock 9MM, or a 9MM of any make. I was told I was compensating for a shortcoming in other areas. Kayla will be sure to let you know what she thinks about that for sure. I do have to say this. The only guns that were having problems were NOT made by S&W or Glock. After shooting for two days, that became very obvious.

Will I take this or any other classes from Tactical Response at Camden again? Absolutely. I have made a list of which ones already. I highly recommend this training to beginners and so called “expertsâ€. The thing that impressed me the most was the adult environment and setting of the class. They treated you like a grown adult that is responsible to handle a firearm. There was no safety nazi’s screaming about this or that. They laid out the four rules of safety with a firearm. Honestly, they are the only four you really ever need to follow. They didn’t waste time treating you like a fool with a gun like a lot of training classes or ranges do. I love the “an unloaded gun is a dangerous gun†philosophy. It will be hard to be around a safety nazi from this time forward. For any nay-sayers out there that wants to cry and whine about their safety procedures…..1.) TAKE the class then whine!! Don’t whine about something you have not experienced. 2.) Tactical Response has trained over 15,000 students and has had 0 accidents. ZERO. That is impressive to me. Think about all the schools and workplaces that can’t go one week without someone getting hurt.

Thank you for what you do Tactical Response. I will return.

www.TacticalResponse.com

• Like 5

Glad you went. More people need to do so. Like you, shot all my life, but until you expose yourself to a formal training program, you just don't know what you don't know. You can repeat the same course every year and still pick up something.

Glad you enjoyed your class at Tactical Response. Having taken Fighting Rifle, I agree that they have very good training. Fighting Pistol will probably be the next class I take there.

Sorry your AAR is getting crapped on by the "Yeager-haters." Please don't let that discourage you from posting future AARs about any training you may take,

I'd love to take one of their classes, but I don't think I'm in good enough shape for it. The one day class I took last weekend wore my butt out. My knees can't take the running, kneeling, and getting back up that they used to.

I'd love to take one of their classes, but I don't think I'm in good enough shape for it. The one day class I took last weekend wore my butt out. My knees can't take the running, kneeling, and getting back up that they used to.

You got that right! After an IDPA match I'm ready for a wheel chair.

No worries. I was prepared for the haters. I did a lot of research prior to making my decision to go. I've seen the so called edinborough ambush video and have read the aar's about that incident. I also asked the instructor Jay about that in the class. He gave a simple answer of "everyone not doing their part".

So all the arm chair critics who were not there but want to pretend they know all the facts and circumstances that took place are silly in my eyes and have no credibility to me. Those people always seem to know all the answers to events that transpired outside of there presence. I have gone through life enough to understand that when the heat is on and things go bad, normally honest, nice people will lie out their ass to save their own skin. Also, the one guy who is getting the blame and telling a different story than the rest is usually the only honest one. That whole situation stinks of lies and deceit. Those who base their entire judgement over something they really have no knowledge of are missing out on superb training in their on back yard.

I know this first hand. The training I received was worth every penny. I will continue to go back and learn more.

• Like 2
Guest bkelm18

No worries. I was prepared for the haters. I did a lot of research prior to making my decision to go. I've seen the so called edinborough ambush video and have read the aar's about that incident. I also asked the instructor Jay about that in the class. He gave a simple answer of "everyone not doing their part".

So all the arm chair critics who were not there but want to pretend they know all the facts and circumstances that took place are silly in my eyes and have no credibility to me. Those people always seem to know all the answers to events that transpired outside of there presence. I have gone through life enough to understand that when the heat is on and things go bad, normally honest, nice people will lie out their ass to save their own skin. Also, the one guy who is getting the blame and telling a different story than the rest is usually the only honest one. That whole situation stinks of lies and deceit. Those who base their entire judgement over something they really have no knowledge of are missing out on superb training in their on back yard.

I know this first hand. The training I received was worth every penny. I will continue to go back and learn more.

Wow, your moral compass is a little off. So... nice, good people lie out their ass and bad people don't? Seriously? A good and honorable person is not going to lie out their ass. And the person who is telling a different story than everyone else is the one telling the truth? Yikes...

Edited by bkelm18

I have had nothing but good experiences at Tactical Response training and despite those who don't trust James Yeager, many people in the industry do trust him and recommend him and his training...while there are many who want to paint him negatively, the official report I read of the incident notes that while mistakes were made, it does not blame Yeager for the incident and said that given the circumstances and the volume of enemy fire, the team responded as well as could be expected.

People can have any opinion they want but once I put the rumors aside about this incident and concentrated on what was left, I came to the conclusion that it was simply a situation where good people did the best they could in a very bad situation...it doesn't make anyone a saint or a coward; just human.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest bkelm18

I have had nothing but good experiences at Tactical Response training and despite those who don't trust James Yeager, many people in the industry do trust him and recommend him and his training...while there are many who want to paint him negatively, the official report I read of the incident notes that while mistakes were made, it does not blame Yeager for the incident and said that given the circumstances and the volume of enemy fire, the team responded as well as could be expected.

People can have any opinion they want but once I put the rumors aside about this incident and concentrated on what was left, I came to the conclusion that it was simply a situation where good people did the best they could in a very bad situation...it doesn't make anyone a saint or a coward; just human.

I guess blaming everyone except himself could be considered human. :)

It's pretty damn easy to judge someone and what they did when you weren't there. Most of what has been passed around on internet forums about this incident has about as much substance (and is about as useful) as fairy dust.

I'm also wonder why some, as early as the third post, feel the need to step all over another person's thread and bring up a subject that has ZERO to do with the OP's thread - if people want to dump on James Yeager maybe they ought to start their own thread. :shrug:

• Like 1

I'm also wonder why some, as early as the third post, feel the need to step all over another person's thread and bring up a subject that has ZERO to do with the OP's thread - if people want to dump on James Yeager maybe they ought to start their own thread. :shrug:

+1

The mods should clean up this thread

Tell you what.

I will go back and edit out everything I said. I just feel strongly about the situation.

Good. If you feel that strongly about it, you should start your own thread about it, instead of crapping in someone else's.

• Like 3

I live pretty close to Camden and I have heard really good things about their classes from several people.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I live close to Camden myself and have never heard a negative comment on the training, except if you show up with anything other than a Glock. But, $450.00 for a training class is a good chunk of change. I guess it's commeasurable with other top notch training facilities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Good. If you feel that strongly about it, you should start your own thread about it, instead of crapping in someone else's.

You can stow that ####. If people don't want counter opinions, they don't need to start threads on a forum. Period.