Toyota 4Runners

I'm considering my next vehicle and I'm looking very closely at 4runners. Them seem to be a pretty good value over the pickups which I originally wanted. Seems that a Tacoma outfitted about the same as a 4runner is about twice as much. It's a Toyota so I know they are about bullet proof. Anyone know of any concerns? I'll be shopping within the next couple of months but I don't need it until the fall so I will take my time to find the right truck for the right price. I'm looking at the 1996 and up models in the $4-6K range. I've noticed they are offered in 4 cyl but I will be towing a 6x12 trailer full of firewood a few times per year and it seems like that 4 banger would be stressed under that kind of load? 4x4 is a must, gotta have it so I'm not stranded in the winter, plus I really hate dragging deer back to the truck, I'd rather take the truck in to get the deer. I see a few that have manual transmissions which I would prefer but they seem to be few and far between. However I'm not scared of an automatic with 200k on it if it has been properly maintained. Ideally I'm thinking V6, manual, 4x4, with the transmission not being a must. Thoughts?

My wife had a 1997 4x4 with a v6. I pulled a bass boat with it for a couple of years and that thing ran like a top. We sold it when it reached 190k to my mother in law and she drove it a few years after that until she got t-boned in it. The only thing we ever did to it was 5k oil changes, put a new battery in it, and changed the timing belt once. It was fine but I read on the internet you should change it at xxx miles and did it. I can't remember when they recommended to change it. Ours had the automatic tranny in it.

I just traded my Tacoma for a 4runner recently. So far I really like it. I have a 98 with about 160k on it. I got lucky and got a limited model with the factory rear e-locker.

I would recommend against the 4 banger, it's very underpowered for the weight of the vehicle.

One of the known issues with the 4runners is the rear coils sagging. The '99 model year has taller springs and supposedly sags less then other years. If you can find one, the '99 model seems like the best overall year.

The 96-98 years have really lousy cupholders, not really a big deal, just annoying.

Keep an eye out for the "strawberry milkshake." You can google that.

All said, they are great vehicles. I look forward to having mine for a long time.

I have a 2001 tacoma its a 4cyl 5 speed 4x4 manual I love it it has 260k miles. Every summer I load the bed full and pull a 16ft popup camper about 50 miles one way. You won't win any races but they will pull. The first weekend I owned my truck I pulled my best friends 1991 Norris craft 19 ft bass boat. And if you are worried about stopping, don't because the have 4 piston calipers and huge almost 11 inch drum brakes on the rear with a load sensing valve that applys more rear brakes when the rear is squatted. I have seen smaller travel trailers behind v6 trucks and 4 runners with no problems. I'm a Toyota nut and these trucks are fantastic. If you could afford an 03 up 4runner the were available with a v8.

I just traded my Tacoma for a 4runner recently. So far I really like it. I have a 98 with about 160k on it. I got lucky and got a limited model with the factory rear e-locker.

I would recommend against the 4 banger, it's very underpowered for the weight of the vehicle.

One of the known issues with the 4runners is the rear coils sagging. The '99 model year has taller springs and supposedly sags less then other years. If you can find one, the '99 model seems like the best overall year.

The 96-98 years have really lousy cupholders, not really a big deal, just annoying.

Keep an eye out for the "strawberry milkshake." You can google that.

All said, they are great vehicles. I look forward to having mine for a long time.

Just the kind of info I'm looking for. Looks like the fix to the strawberry milkshake is the replace the radiator with a particular aftermarket unit? Pretty sure I have the same lousy cupholders in my '97 Avalon. They are good for, well getting your beverage all over yourself and the interior of the vehicle. Can the sagging suspension be fixed with aftermarket coils?

You can either replace the radiator or get a tranny cooler.

Here is a link with a lot of upgrades you can do to 4runners. http://www.4runners.org/

As for the sag, and especially if you plan on towing I would upgrade the the old man emu 906 rear springs.

Personably I plan on the ome 906 coils in the back with the trd tundra struts up front when funds allow. That supposedly rides great with better towing characteristics as well.

I drive Toyota pickup truck. It has 220 000 miles.

The weak spots are:

Leaf springs

Coil springs

Shocks

Timing chain and tensioner in 4 cylinder engine

Blowing fan

Electrical connectors easy got corrosion

Body rust protection is insufficient

The average gas mileage is 18 mpg

The 2nd gens (90-95) had major head gasket issues on the 3.0. If u r in the market for a 96 up, then your v6 option is the 3.4. Which is a great engine, no problems that i know of. The second gens with the 3.0 are generally the most looked down upon, but i love mine and havent had any problems out of it. If i was gonna buy another one though id look for the 3rd gen with the v8 option. Iirc they only had the v8 option for a few years.

3rd gen 4runners are excellent vehicles. Get the 3.4 V6. Not only for the torque but the timing belt is a lot easier and cheaper to replace than the chain in the 2.7 4 banger. I was a Toyota mechanic for years. Still am,just at home now.

Auto trans is pretty much bullet proof as well.

Any questions,PM me or call 865-206-8482

Steve

I have an '06 with the 4.7l V8. Fantastic vehicle! I bought it "new" in Jan '07, and have about 75K miles on it. I pull loads well over 3k lbs with it on a regular basis up and down Signal Mountain with 0 problems. Little 1,500lb bass boat gets pulled without really even noticing. Can't buy a better "SUV". Period.

I drive Toyota pickup truck. It has 220 000 miles.

The weak spots are:

Leaf springs

Coil springs

Shocks

Timing chain and tensioner in 4 cylinder engine

Blowing fan

Electrical connectors easy got corrosion

Body rust protection is insufficient

The average gas mileage is 18 mpg

Never noticed any of those things on mine other than rust from up north.

3rd gen 4runners are excellent vehicles. Get the 3.4 V6. Not only for the torque but the timing belt is a lot easier and cheaper to replace than the chain in the 2.7 4 banger. I was a Toyota mechanic for years. Still am,just at home now.

Auto trans is pretty much bullet proof as well.

Any questions,PM me or call 865-206-8482

Steve

I agree that the timing set for the 2.7l 4cyl is very expensive, you should know that the timing chain in the 2.7l is not a matinence item, like it was on the 22r series, on the 2.7l it only gets replaced when you have to tear apart the motor. I have over 260k factory water pump, and timing set on my 2.7l.

I agree that the timing set for the 2.7l 4cyl is very expensive, you should know that the timing chain in the 2.7l is not a matinence item, like it was on the 22r series, on the 2.7l it only gets replaced when you have to tear apart the motor. I have over 260k factory water pump, and timing set on my 2.7l.

If you change your oil it should be no problem. Oil is the life of the chain.