MAN WITH GUN CHASES OFF ATTACKING BEAR IN NATIONAL FOREST...

Sad part is, the bear will likely die from sepsis or gangrene. You gotta do what you gotta do to survive but dang, that sucks. Note to self, when in bear country, leave Glock at home and bring enough gun to put the animal down.

• Like 1

[sarcasm] I call BS. I mean, we all know that bears are more afraid of us than we are of them. Certainly people who go into National Forests and the like have nothing to worry about from the bears - especially the really docile black bears. [/sarcasm]

Edited by JAB
Guest Lester Weevils

I suspect they had food in the tent. Glad the kid got away.

Funny ad copy that's been in the campmor catalog for many years. I always get a chuckle but am easily amused--

http://www.campmor.c...Product___14097

Backpacker Bear Resistant Food Container

This food container is made of high impact ABS plastic with stainless steel latches. The container is entirely flush and cannot be opened unless the bear has a coin or screwdriver.

He probably had some of that 6000fps/2000ft lbs 17 grain self defense ammo.

Lucky for him the last shot grazed the cornia and temporarily blinded the bear

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

• 7 months later...

Glad I live in East Tennessee.  I just worry about the elusive panters is all.  Not too worried about black bears.

"The rare attack by a black bear occurred Thursday during the family's
outing to a waterfall in a remote part of the Cherokee National Forest.
The bear killed a 6-year-old girl and seriously injured her mother and
brother."

Wonder if that mother thinks that way?

I would say that you are right, as for me, not too worried. BTW, statistically speaking, wasn't that the first black bear attack in these parts in like 75 to 100 years? Aren't you more likely to die from a bite from a rabid skunk, coon, or other sick animal in East Tennessee than an attack by a bear.

I would say that you are right, as for me, not too worried. BTW, statistically speaking, wasn't that the first black bear attack in these parts in like 75 to 100 years? Aren't you more likely to die from a bite from a rabid skunk, coon, or other sick animal in East Tennessee than an attack by a bear.

Pretty much.  Black bears aren't likely to attack, but I guess anything is possible.  When I was a kid we lived on the outskirts of a national forest.  Mom used to scare off the black bears by just leaning out the window and clapping her hands.  They are incredibly skiddish, but I suppose they'll get aggressive if they have kids, but that is any animal.

May have been already posted but I failed to see it in a search.

Bear attack in Alaska, also a neat site to browse. The bear stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.  

http://mountainsurvival.com/news_articles/bearattack.html

Is that last picture real? I have a hard time believing a picture like that would get leaked out to the public. Pretty tasteless for the website to post that picture IMO.