Police: Hug Triggers Officer's Gun, Kills Woman

Yeah, I called BS on this one too. Probably someone did something stupid/embarrassing and now the story has to be custom designed to fit the real thing. And since everyone believes that guns just go off when you touch or even get near them, this will be a hot news story until the media can dig up something juicier.

Not only do they go off just from looking at them but most of time, they are unladed as well! :)

News is now reporting that the officer is on administrative leave...also saying that the woman "hugged" him from behind.

It should be insteresting to see how this actually plays out; assuming of course that we ever get the whole story.

Guest Lester Weevils

Bullets can easily change direction in mid-air.

Just ask the Warren Commission... :-\

Lucky it didn't take out half the guests!

Guest Lester Weevils

The physics of how a heater worn "inside the waistband" shoots anyone in the upper torso has got to be quite complicated. IWB muzzle-up carry isn't very popular.

- OS

Yep. Reckon if it was small of back carry, they would just generically say IWB? Am far from expert but aren't some small-of-back rigs canted pretty far over? Or maybe some kind of cross-draw IWB canted rather drastically? Am not trying to make excuses, only thinking of possibilities. A strongly canted IWB might work if the guy was real tall and the gal fairly short?

...Am far from expert but aren't some small-of-back rigs canted pretty far over? Or maybe some kind of cross-draw IWB canted rather drastically?...

Well even a perfectly horizontal SOB holster would have shot someone else off to the side. And not in upper body unless they were a dwarf. A smaller than normal dwarf. :)

SOBINSET.jpg

Same with cross draw; here's about as drastic an angle on one I've ever seen:

cross-draw-for-web.gif

I think it's pretty obvious that most folks here are right -- real story ain't out.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Goes to show you though; you don’t want to drink and carry. He didn’t touch the gun and the press is screaming about a BAC test.

If I was at the press conference I might have ask something like “How did a gun in a holster pointed downward shoot someone in the chest?â€

At any rate, it was an unsecured weapon; that policy will change. Most cops (that I knew) didn’t carry unsecured.

Sounds like someone did something stoopid and they cooked up a story after the fact to me.

agreed. maybe an unsecured gun in a holster similar to what ohshoot posted and if person A jumped on persons B back and the person B person bent over forward. Screw it, no, can't say it happened like that either. Guns only go bang when the trigger is pulled.

If the hug from behind included saying "when are you gonna handcuff me again" in his ear... then it's easy to determine the off angle shot being caused by the wife resolving the home wreckin hussy's impropriety

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Guest bkelm18

Ok everyone with a M&P unload and see if you can get the firing pin to release without pulling the trigger.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Can't happen without a catastrophic failure of the gun.

New developments.

http://www.wzzm13.co...rs-gun-went-off

Sounds, interesting.

There ya go Dolomite ... somebody has finally agreed with ya on the only way the gal could get popped in the upper torso, on her knees. Right. Came pretty belated though, sounds forced, like finally somebody thought duh, how could a gun carried in any method on the waist have that angle of fire?

No other story of course, has even mentioned it, and it's come belatedly, so probably somebody grasping at straws, too.

The poor coverage continues, because nobody in the media knows the methods of how guns are carried; my head almost exploded today watching Shep's segment on FOX with the two lawyers debating the "when a cop should be on high alert and have his gun ready opposed to when it should be on safety", hair triggers, and other absolute crapola.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Lester Weevils

Yep it is interesting. That Shep segment was ridiculous crapola.

Hard to figure. Mechanical devices do fail on occasion. Rare doesn't mean non-existent.

There are occasional credible sounding stories of AD from holstering. Careless holstering but also a worn holster that has some loose material to grab the trigger. If there was something wrong with the holster they would probably have said something about it by now, unless maybe they are trying to say as little possible hoping it blows over? If by some tiny chance a loose fold of holster material had the trigger "almost all the way pulled" then the officer could probably be sued to hades and back for negligently using defective equipment? Even if it really did happen as described and there really wasn't any monkey business involved?

I can see how it would take awhile for the "on the knees" detail to come out even if that really is the truth. Dollars to donuts people at the party know mom. Daughter was heavy partying celebrating her birthday, acting risque as young folk will often do, and tragedy strikes. Witnesses who had been at the party, now consoling mom at the emergency room in the wee hours Sunday morning-- It would be against human nature for the typical person to have the guts to explain to mom, on the night of the accident, that her daughter was "acting slutty" when she got shot? Most folks have enough decency not to volunteer info like that. So maybe it took awhile for mom to find out about that detail? Even if it did "happen as described"?

Edited by Lester Weevils

If the hug from behind included saying "when are you gonna handcuff me again" in his ear... then it's easy to determine the off angle shot being caused by the wife resolving the home wreckin hussy's impropriety

See Jay G's take on the story:

"My take? The wife got pissed off, grabbed her husband's gun, and shot the woman."