My First Revolver

hazmatt

I will likely buy my first revolver soon. I am looking at used DA/SA .357s. I want something that can handle a steady diet of full power. 357 loads.

I know S&W make quality revolvers, but I hear that they are not designed to handle the stresses that constant full power .357 loads can dish out.

I have also heard that almost all Rugers, even the older ones, are built like tanks, and should be able to handle anything you feed them. I have heard the same about Dan Wessons.

On the lower end of the scale, Rossi is supposed to be a good gun for the money.

I would like to hear your oppinions on this subject.

I have a Ruger GP-100 and a Ruger Bisley Vaquero, in .357. Both of these pistols are accurate, have good triggers and are tough. They are the poor mans Smith and Wesson. I would rate them every bit as good as a Smith if not better.

I have e-mailed a seller about a Ruger Police Service Six that is in my area. I do not have any real information about it yet, other than it has some holster wear, but I am interested. He is asking $350. I am hoping to get some more info on it, before I set up a FTF.

Edited by hazmatt

I know S&W make quality revolvers, but I hear that they are not designed to handle the stresses that constant full power .357 loads can dish out.

That just isn’t true. S&W owns the revolver market and has for decades; they are the best there is. I’ve been shooting and carrying S&W (and other) revolvers for 40 years. The K-frames have been handling a steady diet of full house 357 mags for years. You just need to shoot 158 instead of the 125 or less grain. There is 30 years of information out there as to why, but if you see someone posting the frames couldn’t handle the stresses; they are clueless. The beefed up L-frames came out, not because the frames couldn’t handle it, but as a marketing tool against the Python and Ruger’s for those that wanted something heavier, but not as big as the N-frame.

Ruger’s are great guns. Back in day when the cops were carrying revolvers they were cheaper to buy. Today they cost almost as much as a Smith & Wesson.

Colt Pythons are great guns if you can find one at a reasonable price. I had three of them years ago that I tried to shoot in competition, but just couldn’t shoot them as accurately as my S&W’s (It was me not the guns). Wish I had them today. $$

S&W, Ruger, and Colt revolvers; buy them right and they will appreciate more than many 401K's, plus you get to play with them. You just have to be educated about what you are buying.

Just my opinions.

• Like 2

I will likely buy my first revolver soon. I am looking at used DA/SA .357s. I want something that can handle a steady diet of full power. 357 loads.

I have also heard that almost all Rugers, even the older ones, are built like tanks, and should be able to handle anything you feed them. I have heard the same about Dan Wessons.

On the lower end of the scale, Rossi is supposed to be a good gun for the money.

Seriously? A Rossi is a good gun, but a Smith and Wesson won't hold up? Where did you hear this? There was a problem; I believe reported much more often than happened, with the Model 19 K frames. The 110 and 125 grain screamers, after a while, were occasionally cracking forcing cones. They worked fine with heavier projectiles.

An L or N frame Smith in 357 will shoot anything you put in it, and more than you'll ever care to buy or load. Heck, Smith and Wesson was the FIRST gun chambered for the 357 Mag.

Jerry Miculek isn't shooting a Rossi.

• Like 4

S&W and Ruger make great revolvers as others have stated, and I have a few from both makers. I think the OP meant that Rossi makes a decent revolver for the money....I'll say that I've had some nice Rossis and some that weren't so nice. Generally I'd say they are a good value, but don't expect to get a Smith or Ruger action right out of the box...although you might find some that are pretty good. :)

I guess the S&W problems I heard about were the ones DaveTN and gregintenn mentioned. I do not pretend to know much about revolvers. I just know that if I shoot a revolver half as much as I have been shooting my 9mm, I could be putting over 250 rounds through it per month. Out of 250 rounds, I am sure 100-150 of them will be full .357 loads. So, I want something that will take a pounding and ask for more.

Please forgive me, I was in no way trying to insinuate that a Rossi is better than a S&W. I was just saying that I have heard Rossi made a decent gun, for the price.

Edit:

You beat me too it LCPfraTN. You must type faster than I do. LOL

Edited by hazmatt

I've got both S&W and Ruger revolvers. S&W actions are generally just a little bit smoother, and the L-frames (and up) will take anything you can put in them. Some of the newer J-frames will also. I have a model 13 (K-frame) and I don't shoot 125's Magnums out of it, but it is a very accurate and fun gun. I also have a GP100 Ruger and it is a very fine gun - absolutely nothing wrong with it and I carry it a lot, especially out in the woods. And it has a very smooth action. I think the S&W is sleeker and more elegant, feels better, etc. The Ruger is the one that I could drop from the top of a 10-story building onto concrete and then pick it up and it would shoot fine (kidding of course, but it is a tank). So, if you want a long term investment that will be an awesome gun, then consider going with S&W. If you want function and don't really care if it is heavy and not quite as sleek, then maybe you could save a few bucks and go with Ruger. You won't make a bad choice either way. I think (not sure) that the Ruger GP100 was beefed up a little over previous versions. And most of the new S&W's have an internal lock (a hole on the side) that some folks don't like...if it bothers you, then consider picking up a used one that was made prior to the introduction of the internal lock.

One last thought...you are planning to purchase a .357 Magnum revolver that can handle a steady diet of hot loads. Nothing wrong with that...that's what most folks do. However, once you get the gun, if you are like me, you may end up shooting a lot of .38 Specials out of it because they are just plain fun to shoot. It is cool to snap off a few hot loads now and then, but in general, I almost always end up shooting .38 Specials out of all my guns. Best Wishes, B

Edited by Bassoneer

I'm all about S&WJ, K and N Frame wheel gun's and have owned a couple of L Frames all pre-lock model's. All of them can develop wear issues over a long period of heavy use but few of us will subject them to that level of wear and tear. I have grown to admire the utility of the Ruger SP 101 as my wife has one that is far stronger than any J frame Smith I own, with a better out of the box DA/SA as well. No, it doesn't feel like a S&W but it's just fine and in time I'll purchase a 3" barrel GP100 for myself. Older S&W or a GP100 are where I'd set my sight's on is my recommendation.

Thanks for the invite, TrickyNicky. I shot a GP100 at On Target...that is where I caught the bug. I would love to own one, but I have not seen any for sale in my area.

Bassoneer, you are probably right. I will likely shoot a bunch of .357 loads my first few times at the range. After that, it will likely be more .38s.

I would love to find a 5" GP100.

Edited by hazmatt

older smiths and certain models (I am not sure which without looking it up again) apparently suffer from "gas cutting" where the hot gasses eat the frame (specifically, the bar a the top of the gun over the cylinder!!!!) when you use certain types of ammo (light bullets in full power mag loads, I think???). You should be able to look this up. They are excellent guns and can handle full power loads with heavier slugs just fine for decades on end. I love my old S&W and I love my ruger blackhawks (you would want a redhawk if you want DA/SA).

If you want it to last forever eating whatever ammo, ruger is probably a #1 choice. I would not rule out S&W but research the model as some are much better than others. Colt python if you have a ton of money is also a great gun --- but it has an insane collector's value (on top of being a great shooter) so those may be excessive.

Only rossi I have is a shotgun but it is well made and I would buy more of their stuff if that shotgun is a typical example of their work, its very nice. Their pistols look and feel good but I have no info on long term durability.

I have recently become a fan of taurus revolvers, but I only have 22 and 22 mag --- a world apart from 357 so someone else may have more to say there.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest Baron

I will give another vote for the GP-100. It is my favorite revolver. However, my Chiappa 40DS is growing on me and is challenging the number 1 spot.

I have recently become a fan of taurus revolvers, but I only have 22 and 22 mag --- a world apart from 357 so someone else may have more to say there.

I would like to have a .22lr revolver also. I would not mind having a taurus (model 94 it think) .22lr

I would like to have a .22lr revolver also. I would not mind having a taurus (model 94 it think) .22lr

That is what we have, the 94 and the 941, both with a 2 inch barrel. They are more accurate than I would have expected, and I highly recommend them. I would rather have had the long barrel version, but wife got the 22 mag to carry and the .22 LR to practice (she was going thru 22 mag so fast it was cheaper to buy her another gun!). They get the "for the money" stamp of approval. I would not trade in my .22/22mag blackhawk for it, but if I were buying a moderately priced .22 revolver today, the taurus would be in the top 5 for sure.

Shoot a 617 first. They are that nice. I've been trying to find one for sale used for a couple years, but it appears everyone who has one intends on keeping it. That's a pretty solid vote of confidence. I have not shot a Taurus .22lr, so I can't compare.

My mom has been looking at one of those Taurus .22s

My only reservations have been Taurus repair service's spotty reputation and I had heard the trigger was sub par.

Any thoughts on the trigger from owners? Less than great can be dealt with but she's starting to get arthritis so anything super heavy would be out.