so your chillin on a roof top....

I'm still wondering if a .22LR headshot would take care of the 'undead' type zombies. ...

It was standard issue to some mobile foot units in World War Z. Remember the woman soldier who had to climb the tree? Brain just needs to be disrupted some, doesn't need to be puree. Hey, Brooks knows his stuff. :)

Might have to double tap a few when you get too oblique and glance off the skull instead of penetrate. No biggie with a 10/22 and a buncha 25 round mags.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I'd save the ammo for squirrels and bunnies. An 8 ft by 6 ft trench surrounding the home would do the trick. Once there are a few hundred of them start launching balloons filled with fuel/gel mix into the trench in crowded spots. Add flame. Problem solved.

• Like 1

I'd save the ammo for squirrels and bunnies. An 8 ft by 6 ft trench surrounding the home would do the trick. Once there are a few hundred of them start launching balloons filled with fuel/gel mix into the trench in crowded spots. Add flame. Problem solved.

Yep - might as well have some fun with it. Fire always makes things more interesting.

Just be sure you're upwind of the trench. P-U!

Guest Victor9er

It was standard issue to some mobile foot units in World War Z. Remember the woman soldier who had to climb the tree? Brain just needs to be disrupted some, doesn't need to be puree. Hey, Brooks knows his stuff. :)

Might have to double tap a few when you get too oblique and glance off the skull instead of penetrate. No biggie with a 10/22 and a buncha 25 round mags.

- OS

Dunno bout that, Brooks is a civi and he favors the .22 round which is why he included it in his book. Maybe for close range the .22 would be ok but if I'm sniping from a distance (ie - rooftop) and wanting to drop them from as far away as possible I'm not trusting a .22 to get the job done. If you have to double tap (or more) to drop them then you're wasting ammo. I'll trust in a bigger round for the sniping and when they get close switch to my AR.

OP asked for high powered rifle choices. Personally I'd wish for a 50 BMG on a tripod with an Eotech on top. An ACOG would be nice as well. And the Hooter's waitresses i rescued bringing me beer wings and ammo...

Realistically I'd grab both of my JChiggins tubefed 22LRs and lettum have it.

Edited by Kevo

I vote for a LRB M25 supermatch rifle with a 1:10 twist heavy barrel cut to 18" like the bush rifles with a vortex razor HD 5-25x in a custom Manners stock. their prototype stock was pretty sweet but they havent done much with it lately.

second choice would be a GAP Gladius, same scope. maybe an 18" LWRC REPR? can you tell i like an 18" .308?

any of them would be wearing an AAC SDN-6 can as well.

Many are questioning the letality of a .22LR. I want to put those questioning of the letality of .22LR at ease. IT IS LETHAL FARTHER THAN YOU MAY THINK. I've worked many homicides where the victim was shot with a .22LR. Here is a video that explains this very well. If a picture is worth a thousand words, this video is worth tens of thousands.

With that in mind, I recently built a .22LR AR15 upper. It has a 4.5 inch barrel and eventually, as soon as I get my tax stamp back, a YHM Mite suppressor. That is the weapon I want for the zombie hoard. The 4.5 inch barrel keeps the projectile subsonic (no sonic crack), the suppressor stops the boom of the gun. I'd like that and a .223 upper for farther shots. And of course the lower for both of them.

Aside from that, I like Casters style. I also want a umbrella (I burn easy), cooler with a ice cold beverage, reclining lawn chair, turkey sub, etc...

John

Guest rebeldrummer

"a .22 will kill the crap out of you!""

Well said sir......well said!

After that video I am def taking a .22 with about 10 bricks...

also, I will take the AR and one of my mosins..If for nothing more than the "fun" aspect of it all.....

Let's get real, we all know we want to see some heads poppin and pink mist flyin!!!

Edited by rebeldrummer

I completely agree. Nothing like a puff of pink mist, With the "puff of pink" you know they're dead. With a .22LR I'd have to double tap, Sooner or later you have to move the bodies, or the stench would get unbearable, and I would not want any "playing dead."

John

Guest Victor9er

flame thrower

Only thing worse then the undead is "Flaming UNdead"!!!!!

Not to mention, you'd then be stuck on the rooftop of a BURNING BUILDING!

No thanks.

Edited by Victor9er

Many are questioning the letality of a .22LR. I want to put those questioning of the letality of .22LR at ease. IT IS LETHAL FARTHER THAN YOU MAY THINK. I've worked many homicides where the victim was shot with a .22LR.

John

I do not doubt the potential lethality of .22LR. However, again, this is not about lethality. Lethality refers to the ability to be lethal, i.e. the ability to cause death. Zombies are already dead. In other words, they have already experienced a 'lethal' event and are now reanimated corpses. You can't cause death in something that is already dead so the lethality of something - in this case, 22LR - doesn't matter. After all, we are talking about creatures that don't have to breathe, don't have blood circulating through their veins, might be slowly (or not so slowly) rotting away and have maggots and worms gnawing on them. In many cases, they might have their throats ripped out, arms torn off and entire abdomens ripped open and their entrails gone but are still up, walking around and trying to snack on your cerebral cortex. Being that they remain animated despite those grevious wounds - wounds which were likely the lethal event that killed the person they used to be in the first place - I have serious doubts that putting a 40 grain piece of soft lead into possibly unused, dead brain tissue is going to have the desired result of returning them to a state of non animation. Therefore, potential lethality of .22LR on a living person means nothing. Instead, you have to be able to do enough damage to shut down whatever is making the corpse walk/attack.

On another hand, I could see the possibility that it is the introduction of the lead, itself, into the zombie's system that does the trick rather than any damage done by the bullet. It could be that lead is toxic to whatever prion or virus caused the dead to rise, etc. In which case people using 'lead free' bullets are pretty well screwed.

I know, I know, I'm harshing some folks' mellow and this is just a silly discussion for fun. At the same time, we are already talking about sitting on top of a building sniping walking corpses as if it could happen in 'reality'. As in some philosophical discussions, then, once an unlikely premise is accepted as 'given' for the sake of having a discussion, I just think we should then stick with that premise and see where the logic takes us - the premise being that there could be a need/desire to neutralize dangerous, walking corpses.

Of course, if we look back to some of the 'original' zombie legends (as in voodoo legends), a shotgun loaded with shells filled with rock salt might be the most effective weapon. In voodoo zombie lore, salt makes a zombie conciously realize what it is. There is one story I have read claiming that a plantation owner had a zombie workforce doing much of the labor for his plantation. They were doing such a good job that his wife, who didn't know about the whole salt thing, gave them some roasted, salted peanuts as a reward/treat for working so well. The story claims that the zombies ate the salted nuts, realized what they were and left the plantation. Further, the story claims that these zombies were found next to their graves, having returned to decaying, inanimate corpses while trying to dig their way back in. Of course, those are voodoo zombies which seem to differ significantly from the Walking Dead/Night of the Living Dead type.

Edited by JAB
Guest rebeldrummer

I do not doubt the potential lethality of .22LR. However, again, this is not about lethality. Lethality refers to the ability to be lethal, i.e. the ability to cause death. Zombies are already dead. In other words, they have already experienced a 'lethal' event and are now reanimated corpses. You can't cause death in something that is already dead so the lethality of something - in this case, 22LR - doesn't matter. Therefore, potential lethality of .22LR on a living person means nothing.

i condensed your paragraph down...hope thats ok.

also, i disagree...if you want to play the serious (about a not even close to serious discussion) game we can...

look back at all the movies and shows...they are not taking the time to cut or sever any specific areas of the brain.

they just try to damage it or destroy it....ie: using a bullet, a spear, a knife, an arrow, a hatchet....well., you get the point.

a .22 would have the same effect...having ANYTHING go into the brain would have the same effect.

so to be technical, lethality would not be a correct term w/ the UN DEAD....so replace that word with whatever word you want to use in the follow sentence..

a .22 cal bullet, when striking the brain of a zombie, would without a doubt be __________ .

Think numbers man. That rifle has high "Manly Factor" but can you shoot that all day? The fatigue would bad. I'm not a big rimfire fan at all but a rooftop zombie kit includes the following

*(2) reasonably accurate, extremely reliable .22 rifles.

*Dozen "bricks" of .22 ammunition

*Coleman cooler with beer, water, some turkey sandwiches, BBQ chips and some twinkies

*A large parasol, or umbrella and some sunscreen

*Solar charged iPod with plenty tunes that make you happy.

Got room up there for one more?

On another hand, I could see the possibility that it is the introduction of the lead, itself, into the zombie's system that does the trick rather than any damage done by the bullet. It could be that lead is toxic to whatever prion or virus caused the dead to rise, etc. In which case people using 'lead free' bullets are pretty well screwed.

I agree with you relating to the term "lethality." The .22LR would be making them "re-dead" or "perma-dead." I think the .22LR would "deanimate" them via distruction of the brain. I think those little 40 grain lead BB's bang around in your skull once they make the initial penetration. I don't see how the lead itself (toxic) would have any affect. Following your train of thought, undead have no circulation and therefore the lead would only affect the prion or virus that is actually touched by it.

Relating to 'lead free' bullets... It seems like its another hippy, tree hugger, liberal way to ruin a good apocalypse. I blame Obama.

John

Edited by mikadosoft

also, i disagree...if you want to play the serious (about a not even close to serious discussion) game we can...

look back at all the movies and shows...they are not taking the time to cut or sever any specific areas of the brain.

they just try to damage it or destroy it....ie: using a bullet, a spear, a knife, an arrow, a hatchet....well., you get the point.

Well, this pretty well sums up my response:

From The Return of the Living Dead:

Burt Wilson: I thought you said if we destroyed the brain, it'd die!

Frank: It worked in the movie!

Burt Wilson: Well, it ain't working now, Frank!

Freddy: You mean the movie lied?

Edited by JAB
Guest ochretoe

I would want my Sub 2000 paired with my glock 22 and my Marlin 1894 lever in .357 paired with my S&W 681. Nothing fancy, just fun shooting.