Are things really getting worse daily....

Its no secret gas prices are up. Unemployment is way too high. People are suffering around the U.S. No doubt in my mind. My question is this; how much of this do we bring upon ourselves? In the last two decades, information can freely travel across the country in a mater of clicks, i often wonder if things are really that much worse than they were in the past?

Maybe we are more exposed and often over exposed to the issues at hand? Would business owners know we were in a recession if it wasn't plastered on every billboard and TV commercial? Would they invest in new technology and create jobs if they were not completely consumed by the state of the market and the predictions of the talking heads (pick your channel--FOX, MSNBC, ABC, etc)

Not to make light of the situation in Colorado; IF this would have happened 30 years ago, would we have police stationed at movie theaters across the country tonight spot checking American citizens?

Just my uneducated thoughts--remember, the bar opened at 1700......

Not to high jack your thread with a religious theme, but this is fitting: Mathew 24:12: And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. In another translation: Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. This is taken from Mathew 24, which mostly discusses the last days. I really do not know if the media is better in reporting or if lawlessness is increasing, it surely feels like the latter! Mathew 24 was written 2,000 years ago. Someone knew something. Coincidence? Vaughly written to fit anytime, I don't think so!

yes, things are getting worse. it is going to take some hard times to get things back to where they should be.

I do not belive they will ever be where they should be. We are destined for disaster and there is nothing we can do about it. When we, as a country, go bankrupt people are going to starve when their free meal tickets run out. And when that begins to happen we will be a third world country.

I wish it wasn't so but nothing is going to change the course we set for ourselves almost a century ago.

Dolomite

I do not belive they will ever be where they should be. We are destined for disaster and there is nothing we can do about it. When we, as a country, go bankrupt people are going to starve when their free meal tickets run out. And when that begins to happen we will be a third world country.

I wish it wasn't so but nothing is going to change the course we set for ourselves almost a century ago.

Dolomite

This!

I tend to believe that hardship is just as apart of life as prosperity, and you cannot have one without the other. Come what may, we will see this through and come out stronger in the end. I do not subscribe to any teotwawki kind of thing, as dwelling on that too much can make a person crazy. Take things one day at a time, come what may, it is all part of God's plan, and a cycle of life, imo.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 1
Guest drv2fst

I don't believe things are really getting worse for our physical safety. Politically that is a different story. We obsess on tragedy more than ever and are better informed about it now more than ever.

This is the most peaceful time in human history, (according to some researcher I saw on a tv show recently). The nearby village does not attack us for access to water. There are no mongrel hordes at the gates of the city. Our lives are so peaceful we create imaginary enemies ( zombies ) so that we can satisfy our instinct to fight and defend.

Violence has always been a part of life, and it is less a threat to us now than ever before. Politics are what is truly dangerous to our families.

Most peaceful time in history? Well, that's the problem. It's been so long that when the top blows off this go round, it's gonna be worse than it ever was. Couple that with the fact that we have a country full of the most spineless, sniveling castrated cowards in all of history and we are really in for it. The sissymary tittybabies of this country have no stomach for what they are going to get and the wails and gnashing of teeth will be audible from coast to coast.

• Like 2

It goes in cycles. Just gonna have wait this one out. You are somewhat correct about the media, there is big money to be made in the 24 hour news cycle and bad news will always keep the peoples attention more than good news.

Yes, you have the information much faster than in the past. News agencies don’t care if they get it right or wrong as long as they get it out fast. Being fast and being controversial cause’s people to click on their stories; that is how they get paid.

Yes, it is as bad as it appears; it’s worse than it appears. I keep thinking something will have to happen to open people’s eyes, but apparently it will have to get worse.

It used to be that the people that didn’t have jobs were people that didn’t want to work, or they were just to messed up to keep a job. That is not the case anymore. Skilled trades and skilled tech people can’t find jobs or are working at wages far below where they were before. Unemployment figures don’t reflect underemployed or the shift to Rich/Poor. That’s the way the rich that don’t have to work want it.

I simply can not now envision any combination of circumstances that could possibly restore a general quality of life anywhere near that of our past pinnacle without a period of great national pain first.

I submit that the only real question is how long the USA can continue to overall degrade into its long gray winter of discontent before rather sudden and cataclysmic change occurs.

I still believe this is overall due to the global realities of population vs resources more than anything else though; at heart an environmental equation, but as with all modern human endeavor, translated into economics first and foremost.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I simply can not now envision any combination of circumstances that could possibly restore a general quality of life anywhere near that of our past pinnacle without a period of great national pain first.

I submit that the only real question is how long the USA can continue to overall degrade into its long gray winter of discontent before rather sudden and cataclysmic change occurs.

I still believe this is overall due to the global realities of population vs resources more than anything else though; at heart an environmental equation, but as with all modern human endeavor, translated into economics first and foremost.

- OS

At some point our economy will become a worldwide issue. If our government fails; it could be catastrophic for the entire world. We are nuclear superpower with ability to destroy any country on earth. The collapse of our government is not an option that will end well for anyone… especially us.

Nukedeer.gif

I do tree work. Unless you are willing to work for nothing,people aren't looking to hire you. People are holding onto their money very tightly. I can't say I blame them but I cannot work for the prices they are willing to pay.

I also am a mechanic. I pride myself in doing excellent work the first time. I get lots of people telling me I charge too much so they take it elsewhere. I then get a call that the cheaper guy screwd it up worse or the repair didn't last. Can I fix his mistake for his low price?

Sorry folks,you get what you pay for.