1911 gift

Guest Irie

I would not consider Nighthawk Custom unless you want a gun that is built to his specs exactly how he would want it I owned several 1911's before I bought my Nighthawk and Nighthawk custom is not the same company that it once was

Mine is a perfect weapon in every aspect it was built by Ron Phillips back when he was in charge and today the pistol I carry would cost nearly $4k so I most definately would not get a Nighthawk as a first 1911

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman

There will be no regrets with a Springfiield TRP or a Dan Wesson Valor (see a trend yet). There is a stainless version of the Valor and a black "duty finish". There are still some "new" Dan Wesson CBOB's out there as well and they are, in my opinion, a very "pretty" 1911 (great shooter too). I can speak from experience with the TRP and the CBOB, and can say that the Valor will be my next 1911.

The TRP will give you some options as far as rails go too, if he's into adding a light/laser at some point.

If for any reason there is a problem with any of those, you'll get some excellent customer service too.

Props to you for paying attention and knowing what he likes!!

I would not consider Nighthawk Custom unless you want a gun that is built to his specs exactly how he would want it I owned several 1911's before I bought my Nighthawk and Nighthawk custom is not the same company that it once was

Mine is a perfect weapon in every aspect it was built by Ron Phillips back when he was in charge and today the pistol I carry would cost nearly $4k so I most definately would not get a Nighthawk as a first 1911

I have not been keeping up ... price is up that much now? Nevermind!

I have not been keeping up ... price is up that much now? Nevermind!

Dont feel bad, Jonnin, I'm in the same boat. The Wilsons have quietly shot thru the clouds with their pricing also. A fella could retire on a couple dozen of those if they keep appreciating like they have been. Standard CQBs "start" at 2550 and with just a few options they go over 3 grand. A loaded Wilson and their arch rival NightHawk are well beyond a working man's budget, in my opinion.

Dont feel bad, Jonnin, I'm in the same boat. The Wilsons have quietly shot thru the clouds with their pricing also. A fella could retire on a couple dozen of those if they keep appreciating like they have been.

My collection has always bee part of my retirement plan. :)

However, I don't have a WC but that is something I plan to correct this weekend as a matter of fact!

I found this thread on another forum. It's one man's opinion of course, but pretty interesting...

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?511-Buyer-s-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts

Good find. This was posted here the other day. I thought about reposting it here but was worried about sensory overloading ya. Keep in mind those are approximate values so you might find them higher or lower in price at your gun store.

Guest nowheretobefound

Irie,

I think it's great you are thoughtful enough to do this in the first place! As to manufactures and models, you should leave that up to him. He might like one of the "Big 6" manufactures or something else or something from a member of the American Pistolsmiths Guild. I'd tell you find a good shop that carries at least the "Big 6" take him to it make a great day out of it, he might find the one HE wants or you could order one, no need to rush something like that!

Best of Luck!

I'm going to check out a few shops on Monday, so I'll know who has the best selection. He's not a research kind of guy, so I'll do the legwork and narrow down his options for him. I just need to find a shop with a good selection.

Just bought him a helicopter tour of Key West too. Told him he gets a birthday month :)

Have you considered a Colt? They've been building them for over a century now, and their values keep going up, up, up.

Whatever you choose, please consider refraining from paying someone to scratch his name or whatever on the slide of a quality gun. You wouldn't do that to a new Porsche or Corvette would you?

Have you considered a Colt? They've been building them for over a century now, and their values keep going up, up, up.

Whatever you choose, please consider refraining from paying someone to scratch his name or whatever on the slide of a quality gun. You wouldn't do that to a new Porsche or Corvette would you?

Colt would be my choice. Followed by Dan Wesson and Springfield. For the money it's hard to beat a Colt.

I think you should set aside a day that both of you can go to some gun shops , give him a card that says. to day is your lucky loveing 50th day you have jest won a trip to any gun shop and any gun that you may want because you love him so mutch . that way both of you enjoy the adventure together , and he gets what he really may want witch will mean a lot more and both of you will bond and come closer , jest my thoughts

I'm definitely taking him with me for the final selection and purchase. He has a tendency to "cheap out" so I want to limit his selection to better quality guns :). I'm going to the two biggest gun stores in S Florida today to see what they have. Then I'll know which store to take him to. I have doubts on finding a Dan Wesson, but the rest should be available. We'll see....

What an experience today. I bet I held just about every 1911 out there. Of course, it's what he likes and not me, but I've got a few favorites...

S&W E series (I think). Nice looking, good weight, good for carry and shooting.

CZ. Awesome trigger pull! Very well made.

Sig. Also very well made, different feel to it.

Springfield. Heavy, work horse. Good quality.

I didn't like that the Kimber had some plastic parts. The Les Baer was very nice but I'm not sure he shoots enough to appreciate the difference and justify the cost (he'll never spend that amount!). Dan Wesson has gone up in price too (about 2K). I started with the Colt, but I just wasn't loving it. I hear their quality has gone down in recent years. I think I'd like to find him an older model of the Colt someday.

Both shops were very helpful. At the second store I talked to the manager who shoots 1911s competitively, and he was great. That's the store we'll be going to.

Anyway, the guy at the last store gave me a good idea. Since I want him to make the ultimate decision, I'm going to give him a card with a photo of a 1911 in it and then say "let's go shopping!".

I really appreciate everyone's help here. It was nice going in with a bit of an education.

Glad you had a good experience, good customer service is so refreshing.

Not to confuse you, but as far as I know(which isn't much) all CZ 1911s are under the Dan Wesson name. They will have the CZ factory marks though. So unless something has changed the CZ you mentioned above is a 'Dan Wesson'.

If I'm wrong please educate me.

Guest nysos

Not to confuse you, but as far as I know(which isn't much) all CZ 1911s are under the Dan Wesson name. They will have the CZ factory marks though. So unless something has changed the CZ you mentioned above is a 'Dan Wesson'.

That is my understanding as well.

Now I am confused. Maybe it was a .45 but not a 1911? Was a few hundred less than a Dan Wesson. Lightest, smoothest trigger pull. Very nice! Last gun I looked at and I missed the model number.

Now I am confused. Maybe it was a .45 but not a 1911? Was a few hundred less than a Dan Wesson. Lightest, smoothest trigger pull. Very nice! Last gun I looked at and I missed the model number.

Well some new Dan Wessons are $1800 some are $1300 others are in between. I'm sure you can clarify on your next visit. And maybe your husband will know

No, I looked on the website too and wasn't sure which one it was. All black, including grip. About $1300. Nicest trigger pull I've ever seen. Had the look of a 1911, but as I said, last gun I looked at and I was getting tired :)

Guest nysos

No, I looked on the website too and wasn't sure which one it was. All black, including grip. About $1300. Nicest trigger pull I've ever seen. Had the look of a 1911, but as I said, last gun I looked at and I was getting tired :)

If it was a CZ model in .45, then it shouldn't have been anywhere near $1k+. Hopefully it was a dan wesson 1911 otherwise I would consider a different shop as that would just be outrageous for a regular CZ.

If it was a CZ model in .45, then it shouldn't have been anywhere near $1k+. Hopefully it was a dan wesson 1911 otherwise I would consider a different shop as that would just be outrageous for a regular CZ.

Agreed! It has to be a Dan Wesson. I've seen some markups in my time, but that would take the cake.