"Time Capsule" - Backyard arsenal

Guest Nunya

I've always thought a piece of pvc pipe with a glue on cap on one end and a screw on cap with plenty of thread sealant on the other end, but I really don't know if pvc is totally waterproof over the long haul.

Glenn

Use purple primer and heavy duty cement. PVC will last pretty well forever. It used a lot for water lines so it is good for the long haul. Seal the threads with teflon tape with pipe dope on top (don't let anybody tell you you don't need both) and tighten it up really good. Put everything together and check it for leaks before you put anything in it. You can check it by dunking it in a barrel of water and looking for air bubbles.

Guest Nunya

Good info. I was wondering about condensation, etc. When you say "grease it", what would you use to do that?

I would probably more likely buy an off-the-shelf container than build my own.

Being well sealed isn't all of it. Condensation is a real problem too. Grease it heavy and be sure to put a rudimentary cleaning kit in there too.

maybe a desiccant pack might help for a while.

Don't forget where you bury it. It's not often you get a valid reson to draw an actual 'treasure map'.

Good thread.

Regular old grease works fine. Take the wood off and put it Ina separate plastic bag. Personally I'd do the same with plastic.

You can build one from PVC and buy two heavy duty metal valve stems for a truck. Drill the proper size hole in each end of your build and install the valve stems. You want the metal ones with the little rubber washers not a regular rubber/ brass core valve stem. They don't treat rubber anymore and they will dry rot in less than two years. Less thana year ifmtheynare in direct contact with soil. (now's a good time to check the stems on your vehicle!)

Remove the core from one end and rig up a way to feed other end from a gas bottle. You need an inert gas such as argon, co2, xenon, or even helium. Basically, use your welder gas. Feed the inert gas into the container until you are confident that there is no oxygen and quickly replace the core in the other end. Use a metal valve cap that has an o ring inside it to cap it off. No oxygen, it can't oxidize. I'd go as far as to wrap that in a heavy duty trash bag before sinking it in the ground. Just to keep dirt off of it and make it easier to get into later. Nothing is worsemthantrying to open something covered in crusty dirt.

Don't forget where you bury it. It's not often you get a valid reson to draw an actual 'treasure map'.

This is the most important piece of advice. I have buried things before while enjoying a cold "beverage" and went back later only to find I really had no clue where to look. Luckily it wasn't a firearm I buried, but it is still frustrating.

Coat it in cosmo or something. seal it in with some of those moisture absorb packs, and if you have the option, replace the air in the container with an inert gas like nitrogen or helium. The pvc pipe is a good start, then put that inside something else and seal that too. Store in the outer container a cleaning kit, some lube, some oil, and so on. Prepare for the worst, have some abrasives in case you need to deal with some rust, and punch/screwdrivers/hex in case you have to tear it down. You also want to store ammo...

There's a tried and true method for long term storage of guns that many have come to love/hate. Cosmoline.

I'd do the well sealed PVC tube and goop everything up with cosmoline or other heavy grease. Then I'd vacuum seal them and stick them in the tube. Bury the tube more than 12" deep.

There's a tried and true method for long term storage of guns that many have come to love/hate. Cosmoline.

I'd do the well sealed PVC tube and goop everything up with cosmoline or other heavy grease. Then I'd vacuum seal them and stick them in the tube. Bury the tube more than 12" deep.

What does a vacuum seal do to ammo? That is the main reason I would prefer inert gas, kind of concerned that you might suck the rounds out of the case with a strong vacuum seal (?).

As far as actually *doing* it.... I would consider "burying" it inside your home as one option. Inside a wall, bricked up in the platform in front of a fireplace, under the floorboards, in the foundation, something. Still preserve and all, just avoid the exposure of outdoors yet keep all but the most determined search from locating it. (Inside, outside, if they have metal detectors and scanners its all over. At least inside, there is enough metal to confuse that somewhat.)

Edited by Jonnin

If you have a vacuum sealer you could go that route. Seal the ammo separate and put the sealed bags in your tube. Dry ice the tube, or purge it in some other fashion. Bury it in an area that does not hold water. Also some ideas when burying it: Use your post hole diggers to go about two or three feet deeper than you need and pour the bottom with some coarse gravel to let the water drain past. Use a heavy plate of something, concrete or steel even oil soaked plywood if that's all you got; over the burial spot in case of any heavy traffic should drive over it. AND, if you're paranoid [or smart ;) ] enough to be burying guns pick your spot well. If you were to put it in the ground in an area you've got some old scrap metal laying around it'll help throw off a metal detector.

Rather than a screw on cap I would glue two end caps on the tube. That way you would never have an issue with moisture. And when you need access it is less than 3 minutes with a hacksaw. After all, how often are you going to open it up after it has been sealed?

And with two end caps the cost is reduced substantially. Threaded end caps are pretty expensive compared to regular glue on types.

I would also soak he gun in synthetic oil. Seal it in a vacuum bag. For ammo I would seal it loosely in a vacuum bag with dessicant. Hou do not want to leave it in any type of paper packaging because most modern papers have acids in them. Then toss the gun and ammo in a container just big enough to minimize air space.

Dolomite

What does a vacuum seal do to ammo? That is the main reason I would prefer inert gas, kind of concerned that you might suck the rounds out of the case with a strong vacuum seal (?).

Nothing. You're sucking the air out of the bag. If there's significant air volume in the case, you could generate enough differential pressure to push on the bullet, but I doubt it'd be enough to matter.

edit... I'm a nerd and did the math.... For a typical .300" -ish diameter bullet. If you could pull a "perfect" vacuum (physically not possible) and generated a 14.7 psi differential pressure, you'd net 1 lb of force pushing the bullet out of the case. If you've got a .45, that goes to 2.3lbs. Further proof that .45 is better than 9mm. ;)

You might also be able to try the dry ice idea in the tube. Stick a chunk of dry ice in there and it should force the oxygen out and stick the rifle/handgun in there. or just go bury a Hi Point, you'll never kill one of those.

You'd have to hold the tube vertically for that to work. The sublimation of the dry ice will displace the air through the nearest exit. If that exit happens to be adjacent to the dry ice, it'll leak out and the air will stay. If you hold the tube vertically and drop the dry ice in, it should push the lighter air molecules up and out of the tube. However, condensation is a significant concern at -110 deg F.

Also, dry ice is carbon dioxide. Meaning it has twice the oxygen molecules. And it is oxygen that causes steel and other materials to oxidize, or rust.

I may be off a bit in my theory but I think that adding Co2 to the container is probably not a good thing.

I would also make sure to have the ammo in the largest room of your house for a few days before sealing it in the vacuum bag. Do the same for the gun. And finally do the same with the tube before sealing.

The reason is your house will always be dryer than the outside or even a garage. And the reason for the largest room is it is less susceptible to major shifts in temperature which can cause condensation.

Dolomite