Former CIA Army General: Martial Law Expected & “Warranted�

I've had the pleasure of meeting General Boykin on several occasions and even having a long conversation regarding his own rich history in service to our country. He is a great American. However, he is not known for thinking before speaking and has a history of being controversial to a fault. I don't believe his words on the economy or the likely outcome of the devaluing of our currency holds any more weight than anyone here on this forum.

• Like 2

I've had the pleasure of meeting General Boykin on several occasions and even having a long conversation regarding his own rich history in service to our country. He is a great American. However, he is not known for thinking before speaking and has a history of being controversial to a fault. I don't believe his words on the economy or the likely outcome of the devaluing of our currency holds any more weight than anyone here on this forum.

Good to Know

I always wondered with approximatly 320 million people in the U.S., how can anyone think martial law could be enforced? If anything, a declaration of martial law would actually greatly increase civil unrest, and possibily cause unrest and division in the military. Enforcing martial law and getting the whole population to comply is impossible. We are far from the French and Germans of the 30s and 40s.

• Like 1

I always wondered with approximatly 320 million people in the U.S., how can anyone think martial law could be enforced? If anything, a declaration of martial law would actually greatly increase civil unrest, and possibily cause unrest and division in the military. Enforcing martial law and getting the whole population to comply is impossible. We are far from the French and Germans of the 30s and 40s.

Yep. They can pull it off in a limited area. The whole country is a tall order.

And where are you going to house the population of the United States?

They announce martial law then tell everybody they are on house arrest? Not likely. Logistically trying to support even 5 million people would be a nightmare.

And the government will not do it because once you declare you have control over someone you must feed, house and provide medical care for them. They can't afford to do that.

Dolomite

Under martial law, who would enforce? Would these be voluneeters receiving no compsenation since the money collapsed? If the money collapses, will military and policemen continue work for $0 per hour? For that fact, would the local utility workers continue to work for $0 per hour? Just a thought. Would radio, television and other forms of media, would they continue to work for nothing?

Just curious, I am not that familiar to the nth detail when the U.S. came off of the gold standard, could it go back on it, i.e. emergency executive order? I would assume a hail mary play in the playbook by the government, with the collapse of the paper money system, it could go back on the gold standard to sure up the government, so as to pay military and police to enforce martial law. Maybe a new U.S. currency so as to distinguish it from historical U.S. currency. I do believe the U.S. goverment still owns the largest stock pile of gold of any nation. Regardless of currency, this has to be worth something. I know for decades, gold was around $30 an ounce, I know today its around $1,700 an ounce. I would assume basic supply and demand principals for gold really has not changed, only the devalue of the currency is all that has changed. Thus, gold is steady, only the devalue of cash as increased giving a illusion gold is going up in value, in fact, it has not. To provde my theory, I recently compared US dollar vs. gold, and Japanese Yen vs. gold, tremendous differences in the curve. Japan is known to have had a more stable economony over the past 5 years, vs. the U.S.

• Like 1

It would take mass attacks to control the heards of population using martial law. It seems to get stirred up every so often to get people twisted up. I don't seriously think it will happen in any of our lifetimes.

Yep. I'm not worried, and never will be. Short of nuclear weapons, the government doesn't have enough "mass" to get it done. It's always a good mental exercise, though.

Martial law on a large scale is a fallacy. It implies that there would be some sort of order or that some agency or someone would still be in charge. That just would not happen.

Yep. If they ever throw the rule book out the window, I figure everybody will follow their lead. An F16 is a serious weapon until it has to land.

• Like 1

I can't see this being the start to gain power. As I said in another thread I would be more worried about another war in the Middle East starting up and an incident from that being the cause for Martial Law. The reason I say that is because I just can't see several riots in a handful of big cities being reason enough, I know people are stupid and need to be protected, but riots several states over just doesn't fly. Maybe I just haven't grasped the picture yet, who knows.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

While the chance of the scenario is hopefully slim, I think folks are looking at it backwards. He is not talking about just enacting martial law as a power ploy, but in the event of a currency event. Currency events do happen and anyone who has payed attention to the exponential growth in the US debt, coupled with the droughts causing food supply wrinkles, may see how it is a possibility. That does not mean it will happen.

In the event that there is a collapse, they will have to enact martial law. There will be no choice because people will go ape #### without their cokes, big macs and tv. They will block off major cities and corral people and distribute food. It will be a humanitarian effort or at least appear that way.

While it does appear unlikely, especially given our historical context and perception, most everything in the article has some legitimacy with the exception perhaps of the coordinated preparing between the military and the local law enforcement, since I'd like to think one of our friends here may would leak that sort of info.

Then again, maybe he just owns stock in mountain house.

Edited by sigmtnman

Well the grunts and the upper echelon I doubt talk much other than orders.

One of the lowest ranking individuals in the entire intelligence community leaked more classified material than all leaks in history combined because he felt as if he was an outcast because he was queer. No, when our government can go more than a week without a substantial intelligence leak then I might start to worry that they're getting competent enough to do something sinister.

• Like 2

One of the lowest ranking individuals in the entire intelligence community leaked more classified material than all leaks in history combined because he felt as if he was an outcast because he was queer. No, when our government can go more than a week without a substantial intelligence leak then I might start to worry that they're getting competent enough to do something sinister.

This! No way the Government could keep quiet long enough to actually get everyone needed in line and in place to come down with Martial Law, in the event of a crisis. IF a crisis did happen and there were riots in some of the large metropolitan areas, then they would declare Martial Law in those places only and move the troops in (and don't think they won't either. Both Bushes did it during their terms in office during the Rodney King affair in LA and in NO after Katrina), but not every where. They would be spread way to thin and would have no way to control the chaos.

In my mind, in an economic collapse, society would function like what happened during the Great Depression any way, which honestly is about like now, just no soup kitchens downtown. However, I think peoples minds are sorta in Great Depression mode. You see a lot of people saving money and planting more gardens and such.

Edited by Moped

This! No way the Government could keep quiet long enough to actually get everyone needed in line and in place to come down with Martial Law, in the event of a crisis. IF a crisis did happen and there were riots in some of the large metropolitan areas, then they would declare Martial Law in those places only and move the troops in (and don't think they won't either. Both Bushes did it during their terms in office during the Rodney King affair in LA and in NO after Katrina), but not every where. They would be spread way to thin and would have no way to control the chaos.

In my mind, in an economic collapse, society would function like what happened during the Great Depression any way, which honestly is about like now, just no soup kitchens downtown. However, I think peoples minds are sorta in Great Depression mode. You see a lot of people saving money and planting more gardens and such.

Americans as a whole were alot tougher back in the 30s than they are now, too many are dependent on others doing the dirty work for them. I don't expect to see tanks and APCs rolling down the streets of Kingston Springs or Pegram, my big concern for me is that i'm too close to Nashville, all the little pampered preppies living in cluttered apartments in Nashville will be refugees during an economic collapse. Many will venture out of Nashville believing they are entitled to whatever food you have grown or saved.

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

Americans as a whole were alot tougher back in the 30s than they are now, too many are dependent on others doing the dirty work for them. I don't expect to see tanks and APCs rolling down the streets of Kingston Springs or Pegram, my big concern for me is that i'm too close to Nashville, all the little pampered preppies living in cluttered apartments in Nashville will be refugees during an economic collapse. Many will venture out of Nashville believing they are entitled to whatever food you have grown or saved.

Those preppies will have problems, won't they?

Guest ThePunisher

Martial Law imposed by the government implies that everyone will cooperate. Getting over 300 million to cooperate with the government will be one huge task.

Nah, you over estimate them. They don't think like that They will just move back home with mom and dad. I've already seen this with recent college grads that couldn't find a job out of college. The ones in the hood will stay in the hood and gain even more power.

Edited by Moped