Opinions on a nice new affordable .22 revolver

Guest Hounddog777

Guest Hounddog777

Howdy. My wife and I both have our carry permits. she has a Glock 26 and I have a Glock 19 for defense using JHP. I want to pick up a couple of new 22lr revolvers for practicing and also carrying out into wilderness areas. We like prospecting and metal detecting and figure the 22lr revolver would come in handy for any rattlers or anything else in our path, without scaring the heck out of anybody around us. We always carry our Glocks and a mossberg 500 12ga.in case we run across something bigger than the22's that we also want to carry, but for some reason a lot of people get upset when they go BANG!

I have a few thousand rounds of 22lr that I use for a 30 year old marlin rifle and figure a couple of 22lr revolvers would also be fun.

Any opinions on good dependable revolvers and easy on the pocket? Yeah, I know, my wife wants pink. What can you do?

God Bless & Stay Safe

Lots of people are happy with their Heritage .22s. For less than $200 they seem like the way to go, don't come in pink though from what I've seen.

Getting out of the single action world the prices seem to jump up a bit. Taurus makes a few DA/SA revolvers that seem pretty nice but believe those are in the $250-$300 range.

Ruger makes both single and double action but the price is higher still. The quality is great though.

One thing to consider if your thinking of carrying snake shot is all the above manufacturers make models with interchangeable cylinders for 22magnum which hold more shot. Those models are where I'd be looking personably, that way one of you guys could be carrying regular for dispatching anything furry and nasty while the other carries snake loads for anything scaly.

taurus 94 (all steel version!) has done really well for us for a low price tag. You can get a set of inexpensive factory or identical to factory pink rubber grips for it --- my wife did this and I think it was $20 for the grips. Comes in a 2 or 4 inch barrel IIRC, holds 8 or 9 I forget which.

I have two different Heritage Rough Riders in .22LR. With one convertible cylinder.

One has the plain rosewood (?) grips, the other has the white polymer ivory grips with the Gadsen Flag motto engraved.

I am into each of them for well under two bills.

I have run 2000+ rounds through the pair of them, with the rosewood gripped one taking the brunt of them, including ~200 .22WMR.

They are easy handling, and easy shooting, At ten to twenty yards I will pop empty shotgun hulls for hours.

You can go to their website and order grips, which yes, they do come in pink.

I don't think this is what you had in mind but the NAA Mini revolvers are totally awesome. I used to shoot milk jugs without a miss at 20yrds. They are very durable and dependable. The Mini Mags people tend to like less.

I like my Heritage Rough Rider. Mine has a 6.5 inch barrel, fixed sights and I have both LR and WMR cylinders for it. With the WMR cylinder in place, it often gets used as a yard/gardening/woods gun. It wouldn't be my first choice for SD against a two-legged threat but if I had to use it for such a purpose I certainly wouldn't feel 'unarmed' (and, of course, that isn't your stated purpose for wanting a .22, anyhow.)

The 6.5 models only come in 'standard' plow-handle grip styles but some of the shorter barrel models are available in either plowhandle grips or birds head style grips. As someone else said, pink faux pearl grips are available. I've actually seen some on a birds head model in person and, although pink grips aren't my thing, they actually looked pretty good. There are also adjustable sight models in some barrel lengths. Most models have alloy frames with steel barrels and cylinders (not steel inserts in an allow cylinder) but there are models available in some barrel lengths with steel frames, albeit at a slightly higher cost.

I also like my WMR chambered NAA mini revolver. I ended up putting the 'oversized' rubber grips on mine. They make the little beastie easier to control but I find that, surprisingly, they don't really have that much impact on how well the little guy fits into my pockets compared to the birds head grips that came with it (YMMV). If you will also be carrying your Glocks, the NAA would probably be a lot easier to carry rather than another, full-sized gun. Loaded with a good, 'normal' load, I think the WMR versions can make a pretty good non-woods BUG, too. I recently tested the Speer's newish WMR Gold Dot load from my 1 5/8 inch barreled model on gallon jugs of water. The bullet fully expanded (looked like the picture on the box) and penetrated three jugs - I found the bullet stuck in/protruding from the back of the third jug. Sure, it's not a .357 but I don't want to be shot with it!

The only 'drawback' to an NAA I see for your situation is that you say you also want to use the .22s for practice and, IMO, practice with an NAA mini really doesn't 'transfer' to full-sized, centerfire guns all that much. In fact, I think that shooting them is totally different. Other than that, they seem perfect for what you are wanting (if I understood your OP correctly.) I bought my WMR only model used a little over a year and a half ago and the 'sticker price' (before tax and TICS) was only $169. If you could find a couple at that price and then maybe pick up a (used?) S&W 22A or a used Ruger Mk I, II or III to use for practice you still shouldn't be out all that much $$$. As another option for the practice end of things, aren't there .22 conversions available for both of your Glocks (I don't own a Glock so I don't know that much about them.)

As far as how shotshells do out of a mini, some time back I tested some CCI shotshells on a piece of newspaper that I had rolled up to resemble a snake. I put it on the ground, coiled up as if ready to strike, and shot at it from about five or six feet away (I really don't see shooting at a snake that is any further away - especially not out in the woods.) I was pretty impressed with the results as far as how much of the shot it actually put on the target:

IMG00067-20100617-2019.jpg

IMG00068-20100617-2019.jpg

Some folks believe the NAA minis to be 'toys' or 'novelty guns' at best. They are not, IMO. They are definitely 'niche' guns but they are real guns that can serve a useful purpose, all the same.

Edited by JAB

I carry a NAA mini in my pocket more than any other gun. In the summer when I'm at the farm or on the river, I keep the first 2 rds snake shot and the rest hollow points. I have killed a few snakes with it, and it does the job well without being cumbersome. Never checked on pink for it, but I am sure there is the option somewhere. I also have a larger single action 22. My father inlaw gave it to me, but he said he only had about $150 in it. I think it is a FEI brand or something like that. Nothing fancy about it, but is does go bang. Single actions are great fun to shoot. Plenty of options out there, and a rattle can or duracoat is always an option for the pink lover.

If you don't mind a single action, the Heritage Rough Rider is a pretty good gun for the money. It isn't a Colt, but you won't pay for a Colt either. If you'd prefer a double action, bite the bullet and buy a Smith and Wesson. You'll spend more range time with a 22 than with any other gun if you're like me. Go on and get a good one.

I have two different Heritage Rough Riders in .22LR. With one convertible cylinder.

One has the plain rosewood (?) grips, the other has the white polymer ivory grips with the Gadsen Flag motto engraved.

I am into each of them for well under two bills.

I have run 2000+ rounds through the pair of them, with the rosewood gripped one taking the brunt of them, including ~200 .22WMR.

They are easy handling, and easy shooting, At ten to twenty yards I will pop empty shotgun hulls for hours.

You can go to their website and order grips, which yes, they do come in pink.

Murg where did you find those grips with the Gadsen emblem? If you don't mind me asking.

Here's a couple of dandies:

Rimfires_2.jpg

The Ruger is pretty affordable, the Colt not so much. Both are .22/.22 Mag convertibles.

I have a Colt Peacemaker in .22lr with a 6.5" barrel. It's a great shooting pistol! I don't reckon they are that cheap anymore though. I also have a High Standard Deluxe Sentinel. Great pistol that really feels good in the hand and holds 9 rounds. Sadly, they are no longer made, but can still be found for under $200. Any of the old H&R 900 series pistols are also very good shooters and can be had for less than $200. And I'd also have to go with the rest of the crowd and say a Heritage Single Action, though if you can spring some more moola, the Ruger Single Six is a GREAT pistol!

If you were to change your mind about an automatic and were looking to go cheap, check out the Phoenix HP22. I know several people that own them and swear by them! If $200 to $300 is in your budget, go with a Ruger MkIII or a used MkII.

Murg where did you find those grips with the Gadsen emblem? If you don't mind me asking.

I thought I had a picture of them, but I can't find it right now.

I got it and a Ruger 10/22 the day Academy opened in Knoxville. I hadn't seen the grips before, and hell for the money, I just couldn't leave it there all alone if I was already paying for the background check...

....I also have a High Standard Deluxe Sentinel. Great pistol that really feels good in the hand and holds 9 rounds. Sadly, they are no longer made, but can still be found for under $200. Any of the old H&R 900 series pistols are also very good shooters and can be had for less than $200. And I'd also have to go with the rest of the crowd and say a Heritage Single Action, though if you can spring some more moola, the Ruger Single Six is a GREAT pistol!

If you were to change your mind about an automatic and were looking to go cheap, check out the Phoenix HP22. I know several people that own them and swear by them! If $200 to $300 is in your budget, go with a Ruger MkIII or a used MkII.

I agree with everything stated above except it isn't easy to find a High Standard Sentinel for less than $200 anymore. High Standard also made a western style nine shot revolver known as the "Double Nine" that was also double action, hence the name "Double Nine."

The exception to the $200 price point in the H&R 900 series revolvers would be the model 999 Sportsman. A very fine revolver, but priced accordingly if in good condition.

And for the money, the HP22A pistol by Phoenix is hard to beat. It may not last forever, but the warranty is great and cheap enough that you could buy two. ;)

Guest Aces&8s

I have a Heritage Rough Rider and would highly recommend it, if you are looking for a single-action. It may not have the fit and finish of my dad's single-six, but it shoots just as well.

I have a Colt Peacemaker in .22lr with a 6.5" barrel. It's a great shooting pistol! I don't reckon they are that cheap anymore though. . . .

Online, the used Peacemakers are selling for up to 10 times what I paid for mine new in 1973. They haven't been made since 1977.