TIP FOR SELLERS!!!!!!

I don't get it, you either want the item or you don't. I'm not wasting a sellers time if I don't know. If I don't have the cash to pay for something at that moment I'm not going to hassle the seller. As long as the item is as described and the price is agreed on I don't understand the whole "SPF" thing either. As long as we are talking guns and whatnot we are usually talking a matter of a few hundred dollars. "SPF" sounds like you are awaiting a call from a financial institution to make sure that your loan has been approved or something.

Another thing that gets me when I'm trying to sell stuff is people who want a discount because the item is used. Case in point I have an SUV that I've been trying unsuccessfully to sell for a while. It's a clunker, it's got 250,000 miles on it, it needs certain things done mechanically which I have always disclosed. I had one guy come look at it and he tells me I need to knock $100 off because the door bushings are worn out. Really? Dude, I'm asking $700 for this vehicle that has a quarter million miles on it, anyone should be able to deduct from that information that this is not a certified preowned, like new vehicle.

Expect haggling. If you don't like it then mark the price "firm". If a price is marked firm I won't put an offer on it unless its full price. Otherwise it's fair game. Folks that don't care for that system can take it to a gun store or a pawn shop and see how good a deal they get.

I always enjoy "Don't waste my time." which immediately turns me off as a buyer. Maybe it works because you won't waste time meeting me to complete a sale.

Perhaps I might be turning sellers away with some ads then. I don't think that I have ever been as blatant as placing the phrase "Don't waste my time" in my ad but I've certainly written things like "No test rides until money is in hand" when selling a motorcycle and "I will not meet you anywhere, if you want to see this item you will have to come to me." As for the first, the item was a very fast motorcycle (GSXR1000.) Generally when I sell a motorcycle my policy is cash in hand you can ride it, you don't like it and bring it back in one piece I will return your money. This seems to keep the tire kickers away, it's amazing how many people will show up with no intention to buy just because they want to ride your bike. The second phrase I put in there I use because I don't want to drive an hour to meet someone just to hear them say that it is the wrong color or they don't have the money right now. My Craigslist listings are probably pretty abrasive but it's only because of the bad experiences I've had with the site, yet it still seems the best way to sell used items that I know of.

Expect haggling. If you don't like it then mark the price "firm". If a price is marked firm I won't put an offer on it unless its full price. Otherwise it's fair game. Folks that don't care for that system can take it to a gun store or a pawn shop and see how good a deal they get.

I'm not opposed to haggling if it's haggling for the sake of haggling, I do that myself. But when it is rationalized because a 15 year old vehicle has something that is a normal wear and tear item that pisses me off. Reason being I was selling said vehicle very cheaply. If you walk around the vehicle and assess every single minor imperfection and adjust the price for such you could claim that the vehicle would be worth something but to make this particular vehicle like new it would cost 30 grand. That's why it's being sold as is as a used vehicle. It's not a collector piece, it's something that is functional that you don't have to knock the mud off of your boots before you get in it and you can scratch it without getting upset.

Guest Travtastik

I love dealing with the I got money in getting it sighted in guy. I guy was selling me a 10/22 he paid $350 for it and the scope but wanted $400 because he had done all the work of getting it on paper. It shot about 3-6 inches high at 25 yards he said.

I have been looking for a m&p

10-Ring, I am sorry if you thought that was directed toward you or anyone. Not attempting to bash anyone, just suggesting more buyers respond to honey or at least plain water. There have been a few WTB/WTS Ads out recently that that come off arrogant. I really am focusing my comments on Tips For Sellers and maybe buyers too. I do agree that if someone has no cash/trade they shouldn't be in contact.

Edited by D3vo

10-Ring, I am sorry if you thought that was directed toward you or anyone. Not attempting to bash anyone, just suggesting more buyers respond to honey or at least plain water. There have been a few WTB/WTS Ads out recently that that come off arrogant. I really am focusing my comments on Tips For Sellers and maybe buyers too. I do agree that if someone has no cash/trade they shouldn't be in contact.

Haha, I'm no internet tough guy, I wasn't being defensive as much as I was thinking about how the way a write my ads may not be too inviting for buyers. It seems like if you are a nice guy in the ad and don't lay down some ground rules then people just run all over you and try to take advantage of you. It's a slippery slope, to nice and you get run over, firm wording and you look like a butthead.

No, the guy in Smithville is so overpriced I don't think he has ever sold one. There is a guy in Hilham that sales 10-20 guns a month, I can't believe the ATF hasn't been to visit him.

Isn't that the truth. I talked to him on the phone a few years ago, and he claimed to have owned a gun shop ( maybe Aaron Tippon's), or supplied a gun store with guns. I guess he's trying to sell them for the same price they would have been listed for at the store.

Another tip for sellers: If you're selling a used gun for more than a new one online + transfer, you're probably not going to get very far. If you bought from a LGS and paid more than the new price at say, Bud's, it just means you may be eating that difference just to be in the ball park. Then you have to discount it on top of that to make a buyer want a used one from you instead of a new one from the online source. If you chose to pay a premium for the service you get at your LGS, that's great. someone helped with the purchase and that adds value to you. However, a second hand buyer isn't getting any more service from you than they are from Bud's or GlockWorld or CDNN or.....

Example: A G19 from many online sellers is $499 + TICS + Transfer = $524 out the door.

LNIB G19 @ $550 sells slowly if ever

LNIB G19 @ $500 sells

LNIB G19 @ $450 sells fast

In other words "I got this new at Larry's House of Boomsticks last month and just want to get out of it what I've got in it" usually doesn't work.

You're of course welcome to list your item for any price you want, but don't be surprised when there's no activity on a $575 G19 with some scratches and "slight holster wear".

YMMV

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Another tip for sellers: If you're selling a used gun for more than a new one online + transfer, you're probably not going to get very far. If you bought from a LGS and paid more than the new price at say, Bud's, it just means you may be eating that difference just to be in the ball park. Then you have to discount it on top of that to make a buyer want a used one from you instead of a new one from the online source. If you chose to pay a premium for the service you get at your LGS, that's great. someone helped with the purchase and that adds value to you. However, a second hand buyer isn't getting any more service from you than they are from Bud's or GlockWorld or CDNN or.....

Example: A G19 from many online sellers is $499 + TICS + Transfer = $524 out the door.

LNIB G19 @ $550 sells slowly if ever

LNIB G19 @ $500 sells

LNIB G19 @ $450 sells fast

In other words "I got this new at Larry's House of Boomsticks last month and just want to get out of it what I've got in it" usually doesn't work.

You're of course welcome to list your item for any price you want, but don't be surprised when there's no activity on a $575 G19 with some scratches and "slight holster wear".

YMMV

Good point. As a buyer if I'm going to pay for a new gun I want a new gun. No reason in chancing that the one I'm buying is hot. Probably a slim chance but still. Those guys with the tin foil hats may be willing to pay full retail for your LNIB firearm but you are going to have to sweeten the deal for me.

Guest Tim1077

I've bought and sold several things on here, and have found that if you are knowledgable about retail prices vs trade in prices, and the buyer is as well, you can find a price point that is fair and will sell quickly. I've never waited more than a day to sell anything on here and never felt like I let anything go for less than what was fair. Priced above trade value but below retail value before factoring in tax and TICS will get money in your pocket quick. I'll never lose a sale over $10 either.

I will also very quickly tell someone who lowballs to buy somewhere else. If they are truly trying to negotiate thats another story. If someone feels like they are getting a deal, they will scramble to buy and you will have to turn people away. Seems simple enough to me.