Gun Store Pricing

FX4F150

Ok, guys. This post is not to make anyone upset, but rather try to understand handgun pricing in our local stores. Some of our vendors may chime in. That would be great too. Obviously, some of our local stores can't offer the best prices because of their size and staff, but why are some of them so much higher than their neighbor? I am will to purchase from a local store to support our community, but when some of the prices are +$100 in differences, i want that savings in my pocket. My question is, at what point in what place should you TRY to negotiate during a purchase?

I know you guys know this frustration. What do you do?

Example: I called a few local stores to locate a Sig. Found one online in the meantime. Checked the MSRP also. MSRP is $1249, local stores between $999 and $1099. Online (at one place only), $849. That's at least $150 savings.

Well keep in mind that online store overhead is considerably less than that of a brick and mortar store. Also be aware that you will have to pay shipping, transfer fee, and background. So are the savings really that great?

Plus you get that instant satisfaction of walking out with your new purchase right then. Additionally you get the opportunity to handle the weapon and inspect it prior to purchase. @$150 difference, you can come out ahead online, but below $75, the gun store is better in my opinion.

overhead most online places you cant go in and try it on so to speak.

i still prefer to deal with local people while i am a vendor i dont sell guns when i buy one i buy local

i have heard too many horror stories from online buying

also when you buy something and pay with plastic make sure the vendor is not using square up as a card service

in the great scheme of life a little more for local better service isnt going to change your lifestyle

Disparity in firearms pricing from store to store hasn’t changed much in the many years I’ve been buying and shooting guns. Some of this is due to distributor price variations some due to distributors requiring participating gun sellers to purchase and sell some guns that customers refuse to buy. The on line gun sales outfits and auctions look great a face value but once you’ve paid shipping, transfer fees and such the “saving’s†aren’t all that great. Good gun shops who have customer oriented owners promote customer satisfaction and gain new customers in return. Others have highs and lows based upon the whims of a very fickle public. I don’t do business with price gougers and refer everyone who inquires to gun stores that adhere to good business ethics.

• Like 2

Add $25 to the online price for Tax/TICS and add sales tax to the LGS price then decide if the difference is worth the convenience and speed of the LGS. If not, go on-line. Don't forget to factor in other "perks" that an LGS can offer. GnL for example gives a range pass with every gun purchase. That's worth about $10, IIRC, and can close the gap between them and on-line. Other shops may offer similar or other services.

Edited by monkeylizard

When I order online I have it sent to The Saddle Shop and their total for receiving it has been $32.50. I buy from online dealers who don't charge extra to ship and don't charge extra when I use my debit card. That means that on a gun up to $300 it's about a break even to buy local. $300 and up I'm saving money on the tax. This is all assuming that the online price and the LGS have the same price which usually they don't.

My other issue lately is finding the gun locally that I want. I've fallen head over heels for CZ's! I have recently bought a CZ 75D PCR and a CZ P-06. No one in the Nashville area had these and I never had anyone in the store when I was ther asking about them say "Let me order you one". I guess they expected for me to settle for something else. NOT! I'm kinda surprised at that because we have some very good stores in our area that pride themselves on their reputation for their customer service.

I went home and ordered online and had them in about 5 days. I've also been trying to get a CZ 2075 RAMI BD which no one has, even online so I have one on order from one of my favorite online stores.

I wish that our LGS would give me a reason to buy from them!

Volzfan..I'm with ya! Our difference is that i CAN find what i like in the store. I deal with a lot of inventory and inventory sitting on shelves cost money no matter is that inventory is already paid. One would think or like to think that a LGS would try to move a product especially if someone is there to buy. Of course we always refer back to volume. I know in my case, we get a better price on our products because we deal in volume, so if our LGS buys one gun at X dollars, someone like buds is paying >X. But sometimes you lose on one and make it up on others. We have a few LGS (none mentioned) that are much higher becaue of their location in Franklin (ooops). (But they do have almost everything)

In general, I always try to give the local guy a chance. I understand it is hard for them to compete sometimes, but in the end, the money in my pocket is worth more than the possible convenience of needing them to do something for me. I have bought a lot of guns online and can't say I have ever had one issue. I am also at the point where I am collecting higher end guns, so the extra tax is usually in the $80 $150 range, which is a big addition to a usually higher price to start. I am always thinking about resale in a worst case scenario, and that extra tax makes it hard not to lose a lot of money. I actually try to buy used, like new first, but that is a different discussion.

I think for someone that really needs someone to assist them down the road, then buying from a local vendor is great for the extra services they can provide. For those of us that really know what we want and aren't really needing/wanting that extra service, it makes sense to buy online if it is that much cheaper. I think there is a market for both, but local stores shouldn't get offended at the idea that someone wants the absolute best value for them. Defining what makes up that value is different for everyone.

Edited by Hozzie

As far as the actual price differences between gun stores are concerned, there are likely many factors, just like any other business. It's up to you to figure out who has "legitimate" reasons for being more expensive, and those who have ridiculously inflated prices just because they know there are plenty of ignorant people who are willing to pay whatever they are asking.

I generally don't price-haggle when shopping for a firearm. I've done my research long before I step foot into their store. I know what the average price is, and if they aren't within a certian range, I walk out. This is another advantage of buying online; you don't have to haggle. The online store has the price listed, and you already know it's their bottom dollar.

I've purchased both online and through local vendors. Generally speaking, if I'm looking for an ordinary and readily available item, I usually look for the savings online. I don't take into account the tax savings. If I'm having a difficult time locating a specific item or need to utilize their expertise, I'm willing to pay extra for the services of a local shop.

For example, I needed some one-on-one time with Joe from Hero Gear when building my first AR-15. For his knowledge and amazing customer service, I was willing to buy everything through him, rather than saving a chunk of change by purchasing the components online. Another example would be when I purchased my Smith & Wesson M & P Pro Series. I was having a difficult time finding one, so I utilized the knowledge and customer service of the guys at D & T Arms. Because they took the time to hunt down the M & P I was looking for, I was willing to pay more than I would have if I had waited to locate one online. While there, I even purchased a couple holsters and magazines that not only could I have found cheaper online, I could have purchased quite a bit cheaper at my local Academy Sports & Outdoors.

If you know exatly what you're looking for, in most cases, there's generally not a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to customer service. Unlike your average returnable/exchangeable Wal-Mart purchase, if you have an issue with a firearm you've purchased from a local gun store, you're almost always left dealing with the manufacturer. Some gun stores are kinder and gentler and more sympathetic than others, but almost always will they tell you that there's nothing they can do about it, call the manufacturer.

Oh, and just like the MSRP on almost anything else, the MSRP means very little to me when purchasing a firearm. With the invention of the internet, it takes only a few short minutes to figure out an average selling price of whatever it is you're looking for. In my opinion, the MSRP is just an inflated number to make you feel like you're getting some kind of great deal.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

It's a trade off. But when purchasing a firearm or anything ( expensive) i'd much rather deal with a local shop than online. Easier to return, helps the local economy ( yes, the inevitable taxes) and you might come across another deal you couldn't find online. You might save some $ but to get exactly what you want without much hassle, deal with the local shops. You can always shop around, and if you're a repeat customer, depending on the store, you'll get better customer service than the average buyer.

Instead of becoming just a number/name without a face to an online store. But the online world offers more selection and you could always find what you are looking for online, print it out or email it to the local gun dealer you have dealt with or are planning on dealingwith.

(MSRP) Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. It's justa ballpark figure the mfg puts out there to show you the above avg price you could be paying. True, it usually makes most people think they are getting a deal( that's a part of the marketing).

Well, today i got a call at work from a gun shop in Franklin about the S&W Shield 9mm just in. ( they are asking $499 before tax). Now Hero Gear has the same gun on order for $357 before tax. Hero Gear being a prefferred LE seller of S&W, they can offer that price.

I'm supporting Hero Gear. Second handgun purchase from them,definately won't be my last.

Gun pricing can be simple or complex, but it all begins with the business model philosphy with the mangement of the gun store. The business model can be cost driven (inventory cost, over-head, + margin) more of a local gun store approach, or the business model can be market price based. Price the gun at the perfect point that is the highest price possible before the majority of the uninformed customers walk, this is a box store approach. In some cases the gun manufacturors contracturally require retailers to sell items at a certain price. In many cases the buying power of the local gun store retailer is at a disadvantage. Examle a local gun store may have to buy from a middle man, a wholeseller, where as the larger box stores buy directly from the manufacturor like the wholesaler does so their margins are the best of both worlds (wholesaler markup plus retailer markup), and many times the box store takes additional advantage by knowing the general public would prefer to buy from someone like Academy vs. Bob's Guns down the street due to Academy is not going anywhere any time soon, and Bob's Guns may be Jim's Guns next week or simply closed a year from now. Bob or Jim might make $60 on that handgun, but Academy may make closer to $100 on the same gun. If the box stores used both their buying power and minimal margin, all local gun stores would have no choice but to close, aka the Walmart model.

In addition, as a former gun store owner, I have seen, have used, and have witnessed many gun businesses that use the business models of: Gun store may believe it will have more buyers that will not shop around, but are more apt to impulse buy, they tend to have higher prices. Local gun store may assume most buyers will expect some type of negotiation, then they may want to price higher in order to make people feel good about the purchase price, i.e. we will pay your sales tax, your fee, or maybe knock off a $1 on the ammo, etc. If a local gun store has no competition within a reasonable distance, then they may tend to have higher prices. Its rare to find that local gun store that prefers low margins and high volume. We as consumers would think this would be the best business model, it sounds great, and should work. Walmart has ruined us in that sense.

Outside the hard core gun lovers like here on this forum, I suspect the general uninformed public that wants a gun, will not compare pricing on serious scale like I do, they usually focus their energy on just wanting "a gun" and they are unsure or uneducated on what is best for them. They walk in, look around, and usually buy what a buddy has at work or what they have seen on TV. Retailers prey on these type gulable uninformed buyers. Its the bread and butter of the business. The hard core guys will find the niche retailer for their fixes.

When I ran my gun store, I did try the high volume thing on guns, but marked up the ammo, magazines, and other accessories up as much as possible. The guns were the draw card, the icing was the accessories. The hard core bought guns from me, but nothing else. I had a lot of repeat business from the hard core, but I sure wasn't making anything. The general public bought a gun and buggy full of accessories. It paid the rent, paid the employees, and allowed me to expand my inventory. For every gun I sold, there was 1 hard core guy, the other 9 were the general public. I imagine its probably more like 20:1 today, considering how the gun market is sizziling hot. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Runco

Curious to know how much would the average dealer make on say a $500 gun? Mine still makes $25 on online purchase (his fee). I know that may not be as much as if he sold it to me, but it is a quick and painless $25 for him. The last couple of guns I bought, I emailed him first with what I wanted and included Bud's online price. Both times he said he could not come close to matching it, but thanks for checking with him first. He still gets my $25 and I will continue to check with him first.

Edited by Tennjed

I remember working at lowe's and selling dewalt miter saws ( the $300 ones) cost was only around $275 so ending up with a $25 profit per saw before overhead costs and paying the employees. The real moneymaker is in the accessories, Where markup could be anywhere from 100% to 500% or more. I'm assuming this applies to most any retail outlet there is out there.

As for the gun dealers it could apply to the accounts and previous sales. If he's a volume dealer or has a contract with various gun manufacturers. If it is a small time dealer he might not see a high volume in sales and has to raise the prices of some of his stock( especially higher demand units or hard to get items) on order to stay in business. Or he might be in an area that has a higher income population and they don't mind paying the prices he has set just because they have had previous good dealings with him.

It can also rely on supply and demand, if the demand is high and the supply is low, then the sellers can set ther prices in order to make a higher profit or compete for the sales. But some volume dealers can take a hit with the big box item and still make the difference and more on the added accessories. If it's a specialty item or a custom item where you can't really get it anywhere else, the dealer can set his own price.

Just curious... what's wrong with Square?

Square reads the card data and converts it to an audio signal that is not encrypted. The app reads the data and does its thing. Well, it's not hard to read that data with a different app and you then have all the card data in plain text. You can also reverse the direction and have an app on a second device that outputs stolen card data into an audio signal via a basic 3.5mm cable into the device running the square app and you can run charges on a card that you don't have physical possession of.

The new square devices are black (old are white) and do encrypt, but it's not as robust as it really needs to be.

The risk isn't for the vendor using a square reader, but for the card holder. Never let someone swipe your card through a white square reader. There are other brands that are encrypted and are also white.

Just curious... what's wrong with Square?

Ever since they bought out Enix and decided that they would "modernize" the classic Final Fantasy formula with hand-holding AI and trivial battles it's never been the same. I surmise that Square-Enix will belly up within a few years.

But that's not what you are referring to. Just wanted to get that out there!

Edited by Metalhead

If we had ONE LGS, just one that would match ANY of their LOCAL competitors, it could make a few others honest with their pricing and possibly change the direction. Ok, some would lose money on a few hanguns, but volume will make up a little.

There is a difference in buyers. Most on this forum have been around guns, bought and sold many guns. We are always looking for a new gun......whether we need one or not. And we will shop for the best price on-line or locally. Sometimes buying one just out of loyalty to the local gun shop. But the majority of guns are sold, IMO, to the impulse and/or unknowing guy or gal, especially those who know little and have shot little. Want proof, just hang out at the local Gander Mountain and see how many guns they sell at sky high pricing.

When I order online I have it sent to The Saddle Shop and their total for receiving it has been $32.50. I buy from online dealers who don't charge extra to ship and don't charge extra when I use my debit card. That means that on a gun up to $300 it's about a break even to buy local. $300 and up I'm saving money on the tax. This is all assuming that the online price and the LGS have the same price which usually they don't.

My other issue lately is finding the gun locally that I want. I've fallen head over heels for CZ's! I have recently bought a CZ 75D PCR and a CZ P-06. No one in the Nashville area had these and I never had anyone in the store when I was ther asking about them say "Let me order you one". I guess they expected for me to settle for something else. NOT! I'm kinda surprised at that because we have some very good stores in our area that pride themselves on their reputation for their customer service.

I went home and ordered online and had them in about 5 days. I've also been trying to get a CZ 2075 RAMI BD which no one has, even online so I have one on order from one of my favorite online stores.

I wish that our LGS would give me a reason to buy from them!

nashville has no CZs.,...just went through this ,memphis also has none

Damascus is the best dealer I know of and is a stellar dealer IMO....

I have 3 CZs now and they are my fav semi autos I own :)

Edited by SonnyCrockett