Changing pistols and need opinions. Sringfield XD or S&W, M&P or ?

Luke E.

I am going to be going to take my CCW class in the next couple weeks so i'm looking to trade out the pistol i bought for a carry weapon. I have a Sig SP2022 and have put about 500-600 rounds through it and really like the the fit and feel of the gun and it seems to be totally reliable (no failures at all). Now heres my gripe, I have found that i don't like the SA/DA trigger. I don't like that the trigger breaks just before it bottoms out against the front of the grip because by that point my hand is all twisted and i can seem to keep decent form. I love the trigger on my 1911in that it breaks almost right where it rests at and pretty light as well.

I have been eyeballing the Springfield XD and the Smith M&P both in 9mm. I have had both recomended by several folks and i hope to find one of each to put a few rounds through before my purchase but wanted to get opinions from here as well.

They both fit well in my hand but since i have not fired the weapons i don't know about the trigger pull characteristics so any descriptions and opinions will be appreciated.

I've got an XD40 and the trigger is decent. I'd say call or go up to On Target in the 'Borro and see if they have one of each to rent and shoot on their range. I'm sure it is no where close to the 1911 trigger though.

I don't really expect it to be the same, just looking for something a lil closer to it. With the SA/DA i feel like i am having to make a full fist to take get the trigger to its breaking point. I just want something that will break closer to its resting point without being to heavy. It seems alot of the striker fire pistols have a long and or heavy pull as a saftey function and i don't care for that. I bought my wife a S&W SD9 and i get along with the trigger on it much better than i do my Sig other than its a heavier pull.

If On Target has both of those to rent that would be the way to go. I'll have to check into that.

I have a XD in 9 and 45.....2 M&P in 9, one is the Pro. Both are fine guns. The M&P is a little slimmer and most corners rounded. IMO would make a better EDC, plus is made here in the USA. Both shoot equally well. I do like the grip safety though on the XD. The M&P can be had with or without a thumb safety. You won't go wrong with either, just your preference.

none of those is going to have a 1911 type trigger, they will all have a mushy give (trigger spring, does nothing) followed by some amount of travel (sear/striker release is now engaged) followed by a bang.

If you want a SAO trigger, you are probably going to want a SAO gun.... there are many "1911ish" guns in 9mm, 45, and other calibers, some are high capacity, some are smallish.

CZ custom will put a single action trigger into most CZ frames but that also has some mush to it, still not a SAO trigger. Its not an expensive mod.

Most of these SAO guns cost more than DA/SA or striker fired guns.

Most striker guns have a long mushy pull for the first shot and a short reset that you can physically memorize if you are inclined to do so. I hate that, personally, but the follow up shots can be done fast and without much movement if you take the time to learn one gun well. Changing guns will change the memorized positions though, which can frustrate someone with many pistols.

I have a XD in 9 and 45.....2 M&P in 9, one is the Pro. Both are fine guns. The M&P is a little slimmer and most corners rounded. IMO would make a better EDC, plus is made here in the USA. Both shoot equally well. I do like the grip safety though on the XD. The M&P can be had with or without a thumb safety. You won't go wrong with either, just your preference.

I like the idea of the M&P being slimmer and smoother because i'm not looking at compacts. I may pick up a compact model later which is one reason i like these two choices since they both have compact versions of the same pistol so there wouldn't be much transition. I really like the grip safety on my 1911 and that was a big draw to the XD for me. Your post kinda sounds like what has been rolling around in my head.

none of those is going to have a 1911 type trigger, they will all have a mushy give (trigger spring, does nothing) followed by some amount of travel (sear/striker release is now engaged) followed by a bang.

If you want a SAO trigger, you are probably going to want a SAO gun.... there are many "1911ish" guns in 9mm, 45, and other calibers, some are high capacity, some are smallish.

CZ custom will put a single action trigger into most CZ frames but that also has some mush to it, still not a SAO trigger. Its not an expensive mod.

Most of these SAO guns cost more than DA/SA or striker fired guns.

Most striker guns have a long mushy pull for the first shot and a short reset that you can physically memorize if you are inclined to do so. I hate that, personally, but the follow up shots can be done fast and without much movement if you take the time to learn one gun well. Changing guns will change the memorized positions though, which can frustrate someone with many pistols.

I've got to stay in the price range of the ones i mentioned but would love a high capacity SAO! I may eventually end up there but for now unless i had luck finding something used on here or at a show i'm looking in striker fired range.

Wait, so no one has said, "Glock 19" yet? Astounding...

Just kidding, of course, but then again, not really.

Of the two you're looking at, I'd look harder at the M&P than the XD. Having had both, I liked the width and feel of the M&P better. The XD always seemed extraordinarily top heavy to me. the grip safety of the XD was basically a non-factor for me.

Mac

• Moderators

If you really want to get close to a 1911 trigger, there is the option of adding the Apex Tactical Forward Set Sear (FSS) trigger to the M&P. Depending on the spring setup used, pull weight can be reduced to less than 3.5lbs with very little pre or over travel.

I'm a huge fan of the M&P line. I own a .45 fullsize and a 9mm pro. I shot the XD series and the bore axis just killed it for me. I also prefer the ergonomics of the M&P over the XD. Adding an Apex kit to it will take the trigger to a whole new level for you. You can closely replicate it by doing the Burwell trigger job if you are a DIY type of person. I improved the pull on my .45 a great deal by following the Burwell ppt.

Wait, so no one has said, "Glock 19" yet? Astounding...

Just kidding, of course, but then again, not really.

Of the two you're looking at, I'd look harder at the M&P than the XD. Having had both, I liked the width and feel of the M&P better. The XD always seemed extraordinarily top heavy to me. the grip safety of the XD was basically a non-factor for me.

I can't vouch for why no one else mentioned the Glock but i can tell you i left it out on purpose. I think they shoot great but i just can't get my hand to feel at home on one. I wish i good because anything you can imagine is available for them.

Mac

If you really want to get close to a 1911 trigger, there is the option of adding the Apex Tactical Forward Set Sear (FSS) trigger to the M&P. Depending on the spring setup used, pull weight can be reduced to less than 3.5lbs with very little pre or over travel.

I'm a huge fan of the M&P line. I own a .45 fullsize and a 9mm pro. I shot the XD series and the bore axis just killed it for me. I also prefer the ergonomics of the M&P over the XD. Adding an Apex kit to it will take the trigger to a whole new level for you. You can closely replicate it by doing the Burwell trigger job if you are a DIY type of person. I improved the pull on my .45 a great deal by following the Burwell ppt.

This is making me lean toward the M&P. And it sounds like the common complaint on the XD is its top heavy. What is the cost of the Apex kit?

This is making me lean toward the M&P. And it sounds like the common complaint on the XD is its top heavy. What is the cost of the Apex kit?

The competition apex kit (2.5 lb pull) is around $90, but like I said with minor filing/stoning you can obtain a much better trigger without it.

The high bore axis on the XD made it more difficult for me to reacquire sight picture thus slowing followup shots.

• Like 1

I like my M&P 40 compact, also added the xgrip for the extended mag I got , wala then I have a full size with the short barrel but with a full size mag. Then I added the crimson lazer grip that fits on the back strap very nice feel ,so I have a compact and a full size witch ever I like to carry that day.

For a carry gun, if you go with the M&P, I would put in the Apex Duty Kit. I would advise against any lighter trigger pull. That's what I use in my Pro for IDPA. Just have the standard trigger set up in the other.......if you do wind up using your gun for SD, less explaining to do.

• Like 1

I would go with the M&P over the XD. I have the M&P 45c, 9 full size and 9c. Only the 45c has the apex kit. I would also recommend Glocks.

I have the Glock 21 Gen4, G23 Gen3 (RTF2), G33 Gen3, and G36 Gen3. These two manuacturers tend to give me the size range/calibers that I like plus decent triggers, that can be modified if needed.

For a carry gun, if you go with the M&P, I would put in the Apex Duty Kit. I would advise against any lighter trigger pull. That's what I use in my Pro for IDPA. Just have the standard trigger set up in the other.......if you do wind up using your gun for SD, less explaining to do.

Below 2 pounds is probably dangerous in a carry gun for most people. For me, I can live with up to 5 pounds or so if the travel is about 1/8 inch. Its the heavy + long combination that makes a gun useless to me, and I dislike long travel in general even if I can manage it, like a glock.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Below 2 pounds is probably dangerous in a carry gun for most people. For me, I can live with up to 5 pounds or so if the travel is about 1/8 inch. Its the heavy + long combination that makes a gun useless to me, and I dislike long travel in general even if I can manage it, like a glock.

You are right, my comment was based on the fact that I used the competition kit on my IDPA M&P. If it had been a carry gun I would have used the DCAEK.