Firearms confiscation. How would it go down?

When your government throws the Constitution away, I hope you change your mind, Dave. I think you will,

at that point.

The government is us. We will not throw the Constitution away. People like Obama will try to do an end run around some things. On the morning of November 7th the citizens of the United States will have spoken. You seem to be a bit more positive about what they will say than I am; I hope you are right.

I am absolutely sure that I will never be taking up arms against law abiding American Citizens, and I can assure you I will be on the right side. I will defend my country to my death (if need be) against anyone who tries to illegally overthrow our government no matter how noble they might think their actions are.

No one is going to be going door to door and disarming us on any large scale. We can’t be assured that some nut case Chief or Sherriff won’t try it again. When the infrastructure and law enforcement collapses as it did during Katrina anything is possible. But because of those actions we acted to prevent it from happening legally again.

I pray that the American people do not reelect Obama. But if that is what they choose; so be it.

• Like 1

You're right about us not trashing it. I agree with your answer, Dave. Good, law abiding American citizens won't

allow it. I will be right there beside you if it did ever happen.

Guest ThePunisher

When you pour some water on a fire and it's still smoldering, then it is still dangerous and could reignite at any time. The same is true when Obama tramples and side steps the Constitution though executive order and law suits brought on by his commie crony AG Holder, and stacking the judicial courts with liberal activist judges that have the same agenda as Obama in destroying our country. Obama is like a smoldering fire that is likely to get out of control, and cause irreparable damage to our country. We need to put Obama's fire out for good on November 6th.

The government is us. We will not throw the Constitution away. People like Obama will try to do an end run around some things. On the morning of November 7th the citizens of the United States will have spoken. You seem to be a bit more positive about what they will say than I am; I hope you are right.

I am absolutely sure that I will never be taking up arms against law abiding American Citizens, and I can assure you I will be on the right side. I will defend my country to my death (if need be) against anyone who tries to illegally overthrow our government no matter how noble they might think their actions are.

No one is going to be going door to door and disarming us on any large scale. We can’t be assured that some nut case Chief or Sherriff won’t try it again. When the infrastructure and law enforcement collapses as it did during Katrina anything is possible. But because of those actions we acted to prevent it from happening legally again.

I pray that the American people do not reelect Obama. But if that is what they choose; so be it.

It wasn't legal when it happened the first time. Where is the evidence that the new laws that were passed in response to this won't be ignored?

It wasn't legal when it happened the first time. Where is the evidence that the new laws that were passed in response to this won't be ignored?

The new laws are the evidence. There is never a guarantee a law won’t be ignored, but at least it should now be clear to those being ordered to confiscate that those orders are unlawful. What more do you suggest?

it wont happen like that nobody will come to your door and tyake your guns.it is already happening now in schools in the media it will be ourselfs that take them away.it will be for a better good taught to our children in schools it gets stronger every day.teachers have kids most everyday longer than parents interact with them .it is a slow process but make no mistake it is happening now .for all of you who say i will fight to keep my guns how many young people have you taken to shoot other than you children in the last year.how many people have you taught to clean a gun or reload ,thats what is hurting us shooting and hunting is dieing a slow death.i try to take a new kid to my range each month if they are not exposed to the sport they wont know anything about it .to me it is great to watch a young person shoot a rifle for the first time and if we dont pass it on some day we wont have it anymore.just my thoughts

• Like 2

Dave,

My only question is a nutcase chief and mayor did, and where are the charges? We're 7+ years past this event, and not a single person who is guilty of these civil rights violations have been charged. How can that be? We have wide spread civil rights violations not seen in such a small area since the 1960's, and not a single person has been charged.

Even though there is documented proof of the illegal acts captured on video tape.

More importantly, the new law in TN says you can't, but there are no criminal statues if you do... We pass laws to restrict those acting under the color of law, yet refuse to put any teeth to those statues... These laws need real teeth anybody who violates our civil rights should never walk a freeman again.

Edited by JayC

The new laws are the evidence. There is never a guarantee a law won’t be ignored, but at least it should now be clear to those being ordered to confiscate that those orders are unlawful. What more do you suggest?

I just hope you're right.

I have no suggestions other than the standard ones. Vote for the right people, educate others, etc. It appears to be working in some places, locally.

My point was that the new laws can be ignored as easily as the "old" ones (like the Constitution). Those thugs going door to door in NO had to know that what they were doing was unConstitutional but they did it anyway. I believe that there will always be that element that just doesn't care what the rules are as long as they are in charge. Case in point, observe the actions of the current administration.

I would rather that you be correct and I be wrong. I just don't have that confidence.

I still think Mr David has the right of this. Our biggest threat comes from the "reeducation" currently happening now. You want to keep guns around for future generations to enjoy? Start by helping the next generation to enjoy them. I feel fortunate to say that both my mother and sister are educators and unlike the majority out there don't play the brainwash game. They teach what's in the curriculum and when asked about a moral/religious issue they turn the ball over to the students parents.

I also feel proud and humbled that I have been able to introduce the concept of safe, fun enjoyment of firearms to a handful of youngsters and a few adults as well. Among them a few of both political persuasions who had no practical involvement with the sports and walked into the encounter "anti gun" and left asking questions about the best way to store and secure the firearms they were planning on purchasing.

Like I said, you can prepare for a confiscation or help ensure that one never happens by countering the brainwashing and creating another 2A believer or even just a casual shooter. At the least you can put a face on the term "gun nut" that people you interact with will think about hopefully with some form of of reapect whenever the issue comes up. Case in point, my sister has become a casual shooter over the last year or so. While a confiscation wouldn't be the end of the world for her personaly she would never support one because she knows how one would effect me. While that's not an ideal example it's much better than having another person support a weapons ban.

Guest rockytop

It’s pretty arrogant to think anyone will want to take us over. By the time we get done destroying our own country there won’t be anything left anyone will want, other than maybe the farm land.

We have created the problems we have through our own personal greed. I keep thinking something will happen, but I don’t think there are enough patriots left in this country to turn it around.

I fear you may be right. Maybe we would stand up to an all out frontal assault, but if it happened, it would be so gradual that we would be to late to effectively resist. How much good is a gun without bullets?

Well... I say this mostly humorously... The anti-gun crowd will be at a severe disadvantage if ever they go too far. After all... well, which side would have the weapons? Heh! They can't shoot their PEACE AND LOVE beams out to a few hundred yards, I know that much... eh...

I know this is a serious thread, but I like to have a more lighthearted view of these things over-coating the serious, dark stuff. :yuck:

• Like 2
Guest Aces&8s

I am not a tin-foil hat kind of guy, but this discussion has made me give this subject some thought. While I think confiscation is highly unlikely, I do think we will see a new AWB sometime in the not-so-distant future. Even if it is just a high-cap limitation, or maybe a bullet-button requirement. But I also think the government's best tool for gun control is taxation, and through regulation under the Commerce Clause.

Guns can be kept out of a lot of hands through prohibitive tax rates, similar to the methods used in the war on tobacco. Tax the gun purchase heavily on the front end (but not so heavily as to prompt SCOTUS to call it a de facto ban) and ammunition on the back end, make it fiscally unlikely that lower and lower-middle class citizens could afford to participate in gun ownership. Once you make it a "rich man's right," the path is paved toward further legislative limitation, especially if we continue to see the entitlement class growing at current rates. The people on the lower rungs of society typically experience so-called "gun violence" at higher rates than other sectors of society, and might be more susceptible to the anti-gun lobby's platitudes: "Help us help you by taking guns off of the streets and out of the hands of criminals" and "Make the rich pay their fair share to provide police protection for you and your families - support the Firearms Tax."

Once the support of the "takers" is established, the government could proceed almost at its leisure. It would not take much: waiting periods, increased costs for background checks, disallowing private sales, increasing the required paperwork submissions by FFLs to such an extent that it becomes too problematic (and of course, instituting even stiffer criminal penalties for failure to comply), onerous requirements such as microstamping ammunition or the technology that only allows the gun owner to operate the firearm, etc. Any one of these could severely curtail gun ownership, and they can all be portrayed as "necessary for public safety." Combined, they could take guns out of the hands of the majority of Americans, or render those guns that remain nearly useless as ammunition becomes cost prohibitive.

One of the big reasons why other countries, like Britain and Australia have seen successful gun bans is that they did not have the same "gun culture" that the USA developed. By limiting the percentage of the population that can participate in gun ownership, not by banning guns, but by making it harder and more expensive to participate, future generations can be weened away from the 2nd ammendment, and class warfare will do the rest. Will it happen tomorrow? Of course not, not even in our lifetimes, most likely. But it bears consideration.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

The government is not us when we cede all our rights and responsibilities to the federal government. The

time gun confiscation is going to happen when we allow another Hitleresque leader. History doesn't need to

repeat itself, but it has many times in the past.

Nullification of a lot of the laws we have allowed Congress and Presidents needs to take place. Maybe it will,

maybe it won't. Depends on some very serious minded "people" in important positions, doing the right thing.

Any law enforcement officer can enter your house, detain you and confiscate your guns, just like anyone else can break the law. Laws don't stop people from breaking them. They only are relevant once the law is broken. What else can be done to address the possibility of the gov confiscating your guns in a disaster? I dunno. Seems like Tennessee has gotten ahead of all that post-Katrina. What else should they do? Disband all LE agencies? Not respond to natural disasters? What is the issue here?

They will do it like they do everything else, using Fabian tactics. They will do it slowly, with the media (including social media) on their side. All the screens everyone's eyes are now glued to will be preaching the evils of guns (even more so than now). It really wouldn't take that long. Like someone else said on this thread, the Dems have bought off so many voters that it's now almost impossible to defeat them. Think about how bad it'll be when ObamaCare really sets in. What percentage of the country will vote against someone giving them "free" insurance? Dems will keep getting re-elected, the SCOTUS will be all libs eventually. The 2nd amendment will be interpreted differently or changed.

Went to Wal-Mart the other day to get ammo, and in the 5 minutes I was there 2 people commented on how they thought "assault weapons" (pointing to the AR on display) should be illegal and they couldn't believe how they were being sold in Wal-Mart. And this is in TN!!!

I think it will happen, I will probably be old when it does but I think it'll happen. Think about the real possibility of Dems being in power 24+ years in a row, and then tell me our 2nd amendment rights will not be violated.

TheFinder
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Fingersoup
[quote name='Rightwinger' timestamp='1349536483' post='824829']
Don't see how this could happen.
[/quote]

The same way it went down during Hurricane Katrina?

-----------------------------------

Either way, if you check out Tn Code 58-1-112 - it says at the top "Following the governor's martial rule proclamation, the governor may promulgate the following orders to protect life and property or to bring the emergency situation under control:"

then scroll down to (6) The regulation and control of the possession, storage, display, sale, transport and use of firearms, other dangerous weapons and ammunition; provided, that nothing in this subdivision shall be construed as authorizing confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms and ammunition during any period of martial rule.

This is due to Gov. Phil Bredesen signing a bill (HB1778 I think) into state law back in 2009ish or so..

If I read it right, under 'martial rule', the Gov can promulgate (declare/announce) orders regarding the regulation and control of the possession, storage, display, sale, transport and use of firearms ... just not confiscate them if it makes you feel any better..
Well, actually it's pretty simple, and they are well on there way to establishing that. Let's think about this for a moment, shall we?

Under our United States Constitution, who is pronounced as giving us our rights? Has anyone ever read it? Anyone ever read the "Declaration of Independence? Are our rights granted by the government? Are our rights granted by the law or the will of the people? Hell no!

Our rights are granted by our Creator, as acknowledged by our historical law. What the government giveth, the government taketh away over time.

Is the government taking Christianity out of schools, public displays, the courts, our lives? Of course! Are they promoting alternative life styles on things once considered evil, and now calling them good and we should be tolerant and accept them, passing hate laws, brain washing our children in public schools, etc.?

Remember, you heard it here first!

Look at recent history and our election results. By the "will" of the people, things are going to change, and not for the better. Our supreme court will be a liberal court before long and change the direction of this nation "more" dramatically. Our Constitution is being systematically dismantled, right by right, need I expand on that fact?

Here's how I see things unfolding... No, I'm not going to write a dissertation, as who other than someone reading this on TGO is going to care, I'll not waste anymore time, other than to say...

We will go into an agreement with the United Nations where the Constitution is null and void, and our UN agreement will be law. To do that, watch the dismantling of our rights, Executive Orders, Congressional inaction, the liberals and Hollywood.

Just the way I see things forming guys!
  • Like 1
[quote name='Dennis1209' timestamp='1353884404' post='850563']
We will go into an agreement with the United Nations where the Constitution is null and void, and our UN agreement will be law.
[/quote]
No we won't.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/patriot.gif[/img]
Guest ThePunisher
[quote name='Dennis1209' timestamp='1353884404' post='850563']

We will go into an agreement with the United Nations where the Constitution is null and void, and our UN agreement will be law. To do that, watch the dismantling of our rights, Executive Orders, Congressional inaction, the liberals and Hollywood.

Just the way I see things forming guys!
[/quote]

You are very foresightful, and I believe accurate. People just don't care about anything but themselves anymore. And to them, the Constitution is just an old piece of paper. They will never understand until it happens to them, and then it will be too late.
[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1353932168' post='850732']
No we won't.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/patriot.gif[/img]
[/quote]

How about a few "love letters"? NAFTA, GATT, WTO to name a few in which we are active participants.

Ever go to any of the hundreds of national federal protected lands representing millions of acres of land and see the UN flag flying under the American flag? If you do a little research you'll discover that flag is flying there for a reason. I won't tell you why, as I'd like it to be a surprise. Suffice it to day, it's not flying there to represent the interests of the American people.
  • 2 weeks later...

The govenment can (if they have the balls) effectively disarm the population. You just use the same tactics that are used to make you pay taxes, you make a really bad example of a few so the others are brought in line for fear it will happen to them. Now there will be some diehards that won't comply but they will either have to go into hiding or will be killed. n

Read the story about how Saddam Hussein came to power. If you can make a bad enough example of a few, the rest will fall in line.

I like to think I'd be one of the ones that stood my ground and may have to go into hiding but you never know what you'd do untill faced with it.

There is a very slight posiblity that people could band together and fight off the government. This has a very slim chance of working because it's hard to get a very big group to come together on anything and because of the fear of death or severe prosecution of the prople. There just aren't that many patriots around anymore.

One other option would be to try and cause total economic collapse. That would strain government resources and they would have more of the people to have to deal with and could also lead to a breakdown in govenment. Things would be bad in this situation but at least we'd still have our freedom.