Firearms confiscation. How would it go down?

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I will ask for the rational argument for any of the things you think will

happen. There are no rational arguments for any of them. Only emotional ones can be made for any weapon

or magazine ban. As for ammunition, the same holds true. If the Congress(House) caves on the issue and

allows any of this to take place through a bill, and we don't see an illegal EO, the Republican majority is gone.

There will be a majority, once more, for the Democrats to take the wrecking ball to the Constitution.

John Boehner is getting close to losing his Speaker position. I hope he does because he is the one in the GOP

who is the front man wrecking the GOP.

We've all gotten caught up in this media blitz about the tragedy and, even though it was sad to find out about,

there remains no rational argument for any type of further weapon or ammunition restriction. In fact, there is an

even better argument for loosening every damn restriction placed against the 2nd Amendment.

Everything rests on the resolve of one man in DC, and I'm not comfortable with him at all.

There will be cries and emotions placed over the TV sets of America, but I think it will fall on enough deaf ears to

force Obama to do the wrong thing, which, by the way, will be an illegal act.

As far as the assault weapons and hi-cap magazine ban read this     http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/white-house-president-supports-assault-weapons-ban-other-210135332--politics.html 

The only hope that an assault weapon/hi cap mag ban won't happen is if somehow the GOP majority in the house can stop it. Obama supports it, as well as maybe even more legislation. As for ammo regulation that's just IMO the easiest way to cripple the firearms community, and therefore the most likely tactic to be used in the future.  Obviously I could be wrong on the ammo regulation but it's just my opinion. 

They will never go door to door. What they will do is give us a 90 day amnesty period to turn them in. After that , anyone caught with one will get an automatic 10 year prison sentence with no chance of parole. When the local police come to your house one day because you and your wife have an argument and she tells them you own a gun they will send you away for 10 years. After your friends see what happens to you, most of them will get rid of their firearms. 

As far as the assault weapons and hi-cap magazine ban read this     http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/white-house-president-supports-assault-weapons-ban-other-210135332--politics.html 

The only hope that an assault weapon/hi cap mag ban won't happen is if somehow the GOP majority in the house can stop it. Obama supports it, as well as maybe even more legislation. As for ammo regulation that's just IMO the easiest way to cripple the firearms community, and therefore the most likely tactic to be used in the future.  Obviously I could be wrong on the ammo regulation but it's just my opinion. 

Fixed link -

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/white-house-president-supports-assault-weapons-ban-other-210135332--politics.html

I had an officer at my house yesterday and gun confiscation was brought up by him. He said he would not do it and would quit before he was a party to it. He went on to say he would do everything in his power to prevent it from happening to anyone else. He said he would fight if need be.

We live on a dead end road and he mentioned blocking the road to protect ourselves if need be regardless of who it is.

We spent another 15-20 minutes discussing contingency plans if the world came to an end.

I will add this. I took an oath, several actually,and I do not believe it expires. I have never taken another that supersedes the one I took.

Dolomite
  • Like 2
Guest TNSovereignty

I will add this. I took an oath, several actually,and I do not believe it expires. I have never taken another that supersedes the one I took.

Dolomite

Thanks for your service, and thanks for the comment.  I took the same oath (just one of them though) so I have a slightly different take on the 'compromise' discussion going on in other threads.  We need more of the discussions you mentioned going on in every TN hamlet, and we need to visit our local sheriffs & constables so we know where they stand.  

Ummm...ok just ran across this article on the NRA Facebook page. Please excuse me if my link doesn't work, the last one I copy/pasted didn't work right for some reason (thank you to Dolomite for fixing that link for me) but this article is titled "Cuomo Says He Will Outline Gun Proposal Next Month" and it's from the NY Times.       http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/nyregion/cuomo-says-he-will-outline-gun-measures-next-month.html?_r=3&

Here's the quote that made me look twice and then grimace:

In the interview, Mr. Cuomo did not offer specifics about the measures he might propose, 

but, while discussing assault weapons, he said: “Confiscation could be an option.

Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option —

keep your gun but permit it.”

I'm wondering why he thinks "confiscation" would hold up in court? At this point is there a possibility that it could? How about "Mandatory sale to the state"? I would be truly flabbergasted and enraged at the thought something like that could hold up in court, and normally I'd say no way it could. However, things are getting INSANE right now! I've have acquaintances I've always considered conservatives that would stand up in defense of the 2nd Amendment, and they're saying things like "Well, shouldn't SOME guns be banned?", or "Why do people need assault weapons?". Of course once asked which weapons should be banned or what an "assault" weapon is, they have no ground to stand on. It's like these people have been brainwashed overnight. I'm really freaked out guys!

Edited by thefinder808
....I'm wondering why he thinks "confiscation" would hold up in court? At this point is there a possibility that it could? How about "Mandatory sale to the state"? I would be truly flabbergasted and enraged at the thought something like that could hold up in court, and normally I'd say no way it could.....

Under 5A seems they could take your AR as a result of due process of law easier than could make a case for mandatory sale, as this would need to be private property taken for public use. Maybe they could trump it up if they claimed they were giving them all to the military or something, or melt them down for bridges. But I doubt that.

However, let's not put the cart in front of the horse: the AWB of '94 only passed the House by two votes, and an in overwhelming Dem controlled House at that.

But like you, I find it quite unnerving, mainly because these times seem unprecedented in so many ways.

- OS

• Like 1
Guest TNSovereignty

Well, looking at how the merest of gun-control chatter has emptied the shelves of guns & ammo, the gov't is already having their desired effect.  They've manifestly screwed up the economics of gun ownership through their existing taxes & new posturing over potential legislation.  Demand has been artificially primed, supply can't keep up, and prices are rising so fast that average folk are getting priced out of the market.  Just priced some magazines on gunbroker because they're sold out at many online vendors ... the prices are shocking.  So maybe they don't have to confiscate ... just keep gun buyers and producers guessing on what they'll do next.  Producers can't invest in upgrades or increasing supply due to their potential loss, and customers go without or pay exponentially more.  

Maybe we better buy some PVC pipe while its still cheap ... if more confiscation talk gets heated it'll be hard to find 6" PVC - it will get snapped up for hiding all our 'illegal' guns!

Ummm...ok just ran across this article on the NRA Facebook page. Please excuse me if my link doesn't work, the last one I copy/pasted didn't work right for some reason (thank you to Dolomite for fixing that link for me) but this article is titled "Cuomo Says He Will Outline Gun Proposal Next Month" and it's from the NY Times.       http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/nyregion/cuomo-says-he-will-outline-gun-measures-next-month.html?_r=3&

Here's the quote that made me look twice and then grimace:

In the interview, Mr. Cuomo did not offer specifics about the measures he might propose, 
but, while discussing assault weapons, he said: “Confiscation could be an option.
Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option —
keep your gun but permit it.”

I'm wondering why he thinks "confiscation" would hold up in court? At this point is there a possibility that it could? How about "Mandatory sale to the state"? I would be truly flabbergasted and enraged at the thought something like that could hold up in court, and normally I'd say no way it could. However, things are getting INSANE right now! I've have acquaintances I've always considered conservatives that would stand up in defense of the 2nd Amendment, and they're saying things like "Well, shouldn't SOME guns be banned?", or "Why do people need assault weapons?". Of course once asked which weapons should be banned or what an "assault" weapon is, they have no ground to stand on. It's like these people have been brainwashed overnight. I'm really freaked out guys!
t

These acquaintances of yours should be persona non grata. Get them out of your life. They are ignorant and foolish. Apparently no one has taken the time to educate them on the second amendment. If they are educated on it and still say that.........kick them out if your life.
t

These acquaintances of yours should be persona non grata. Get them out of your life. They are ignorant and foolish. Apparently no one has taken the time to educate them on the second amendment. If they are educated on it and still say that.........kick them out if your life.

Unfortunately they are co-workers so there is little chance of kicking them out of my life unless I quit my job, which I don't really want to do right now. But yes, ignorant and foolish are good words, but I would choose the word dangerous over those two. Incredibly dangerous. And the problem is I can just imagine all the sheeple in the country repeating statements identical to the ones my acquaintances made. Maybe this is what the Mayans were talking about...

Guest just_me

For those of you who say that a confiscation could not happen here--you are mistaken.  I am far from a tin-foil hat type, but I am also not someone who believes the normal bought and paid for news sites like CNN and MSNBC. 

I do read Infowars, and I do read World Net Daily, and I find that these sites tend to break news that other news sources won't touch because it is too politically sensitive.  That said--perhaps everyone should take a look at this  http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/a-what-if-gun-seizure-scenario/

If you think it can't happen--all you need to do is look at Germany, Australia and the United Kingdom--it can happen, it has happened to other nations and it could happen here. 

The state of California has all but banned "assault weapons"--which are not true assault weapons at all, per the strict definition of the term...NY is very restrictive of these rifles, you cannot even take certain weapons into the state of California--anything larger than 10 round magazines are illegal in California,   It is all but illegal for a person to carry a gun in California unless you can "prove" a need for a permit--and self-defense is not a legitimate reason.  It is now illegal to OC in California, if you have what is termed a hi-cap magazine in CA--it is illegal unless it was owned prior to the introduction of the AWB in California.  It is illegal to carry a gun in Illinois--although that ban has now been struck down by an appeals court. 

Listen to the Governor of NY talk the possibility of a confiscation of Homeland defense rifles/sporting rifles http://www.theblaze.com/stories/heres-the-audio-of-ny-gov-talking-gun-control-confiscation-could-be-an-option/

Don't think it can't happen here--it can.  It has happened to individual states--and CA has just tightened the stranglehold on gun owners in that state.  It can happen nation wide, or it could be piecemealed in state by state...

The nation is now scared--more so than they were on 9/11/2001.  Anything that goes bump in the night now gets a look at by the police.  You have sections of the Patriot Act that are still classified.  You have a national state of emergency that has been in effect since 9/11--and a lot can be done by a President during a declared national emergency.  You have a nation that is afraid--you have talking heads like Piers Morgan who are doing everything within their power to destroy this country.  You have "news sites" like CNN and MSNBC that are obviously biased, and you have anyone who looks at a news site like infowars or world net daily being demonized as "tin-foil hatters". 

It can't happen here right?  Look at the nation, look at the events of the last week, look at the current statement by Diane Feinstein that she intends to reintroduce an AWB into Congress on the first day of business, and you now have high ranking Republicans who are also now saying gun control should be on the table...

Now on top of that--you have to consider that the NYPD is now talking of instituting a task force who will be dedicated to looking on-line for key words about mass tragedies...and using them as a pre-crime unit...

It can happen.

If you think it can't happen--all you need to do is look at Germany, Australia and the United Kingdom--it can happen, it has happened to other nations and it could happen here.

Not saying it can't totally happen, but no other country in the world AFAIK has firearm ownership granted as a right in its constitution.

Of course, the interpretation of that is obviously, um...flexible. But the fact that it is there is big.

Of  course, any of the Bill of Rights could be legally repealed, too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Gordon, a few well placed trees dropped across the road will stop access to your homestead.  And those trees will funnel people to where you have an excellent field of fire to defend the place. 

Just listen for a loud "hooty whoo",  if you hear that  you will know it is me coming to mooch some drinking water.  ;)

Maybe we better buy some PVC pipe while its still cheap ... if more confiscation talk gets heated it'll be hard to find 6" PVC - it will get snapped up for hiding all our 'illegal' guns!

if it is time to hide them it is time to use them.  Someone intelligent said that once,  maybe OS, certainly not me.

I am not burying no damn rifles.

• Like 2
Guest TNSovereignty
if it is time to hide them it is time to use them.  Someone intelligent said that once,  maybe OS, certainly not me.

I am not burying no damn rifles.

I don't have any buried - yet.  But I'm also thinking about not keeping them all in the safe.  Why might a well-secured cache be a bad idea?  And I didn't say I wouldn't be using them ... use a few, keep a backup hidden?    

"During an arrest, you think since you are not guilty, how can they arrest you? Why should you run away? And how can you resist right then? After all, you’ll only make your situation worse; you will make it more difficult for them to sort out the mistake.
And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say goodbye to his family?
Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?
The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! We did not love freedom enough. Every man always has handy a dozen glib little reasons why he is right not to sacrifice himself."

~ Alexander Solzhenitsyn
  • Like 4