Chicago considering "Gun Tax"....

"The idea raises questions about ...... whether the tax would really cut down on crime."

Really? Do you think it is going to stop the criminal? They have no regard for current laws and regulations. Why would it cut down crime. If anything it would raise crime.

"If it's going to deal with crime, I'm all for it," said Vincent Fracassi, who says he is not a gun owner.

Why do they never seek the opinion of an affected party? This time being a legal gun owner.

If this ever comes to fruition in Chicago/Cook County could this spread to other States?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Cook-County-Violence-Tax-Preckwinkle-173266621.html

Erm....fellas, we have a state tax on ammunition.....It was, according to an interview with one of the Cook county lawmakers, looked at as a model for their proposal.....

I really don't mind our $0.10/box stamp tax since it all goes to the wildlife resources fund to protect wild habitat and public hunting lands.

Erm....fellas, we have a state tax on ammunition.....It was, according to an interview with one of the Cook county lawmakers, looked at as a model for their proposal.....

I really don't mind our $0.10/box stamp tax since it all goes to the wildlife resources fund to protect wild habitat and public hunting lands.

Yeah but as you said that's a tax that goes directly to wildlife conservation, which I have no problem with. If someone really hates that .10 cents though you can go roll your own, at least I don't think there is a tax on components.

We already have a $10 transaction tax in TN. Only state in the union that does, AFAIK.

- OS

Yeah I never thought about it that way. But yeah $10 for every gun purchase plus $50 every 4 years for a handgun pemit. Tennessee makes a haul off us "honest" folk.

And I agree about the ammo tax is small but it's directed toward a good cause.

But in Chicago, taxation on gun permits or transfers won't be a revenue stream, just a deterrent

to the citizens. Something else to make it harder for folks to get guns.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Taxes in that city are high enough. State, County, City, etc. have their hands in on just about anything sold or owned in the greater Chicagoland.

http://en.wikipedia....States#Illinois

Illinois' sales and use tax scheme includes four major divisions: Retailers' Occupation Tax, Use Tax, Service Occupation Tax and the Service Use Tax.[81] Each of these taxes is administered by the Illinois Department of Revenue. The Retailers' Occupation Tax is imposed upon persons engaged in the business of selling tangible personal property to purchasers for use or consumption. It is measured by the gross receipts of the retailer. The base rate of 6.25% is broken down as follows: 5% State, 1% City, 0.25% County. Local governments may impose additional tax resulting in a combined rate that ranges from the State minimum of 6.25% to a current high of 11.50% in certain business districts in Cook County.[82]

Springfield charges 8.00% total (including state tax). A complementary Use Tax is imposed upon the privilege of using or consuming property purchased anywhere at retail from a retailer. Illinois registered retailers are authorized to collect the Use Tax from their customers and use it to offset their obligations under the Retailers' Occupation Tax Act. Since the Use Tax rate is equivalent to the corresponding Retailers' Occupation Tax rate, the amount collected by the retailer matches the amount the retailer must submit to the Illinois Department of Revenue. The combination of these two taxes is what is commonly referred to as "sales tax." If the purchaser does not pay the Use Tax directly to a retailer (for instance, on an item purchased from an Internet seller), they must remit it directly to the Illinois Department of Revenue.[83]

The Service Occupation Tax is imposed upon the privilege of engaging in service businesses and is measured by the selling price of tangible personal property transferred as an incident to providing a service. The Service Use Tax is imposed upon the privilege of using or consuming tangible personal property transferred as an incident to the provision of a service. An example would be a printer of business cards. The printer owes Service Occupation Tax on the value of the paper and ink transferred to the customer in the form of printed business cards. The serviceperson may satisfy this tax by paying Use Tax to his supplier of paper and ink or, alternatively, may charge Service Use Tax to the purchaser of the business cards and remit the amount collected as Service Occupation Tax on the serviceperson's tax return. The service itself, however, is not subject to tax.

Qualifying food, drugs, medicines and medical appliances[84] have sales tax of 1% plus local home rule tax depending on the location where purchased. Newspapers and magazines are exempt from sales tax as are legal tender, currency, medallions, bullion or gold or silver coinage issued by the State of Illinois, the government of the United States of America, or the government of any foreign country.

The city of Chicago has the highest total sales tax of all major U.S. cities (9.5%).[85] It was previously higher (10.25%), however, it was reduced when Cook County lowered its sales tax by .5% in July 2010 and another .25% in January 2012.[86] Chicago charges a 2.25% food tax on regular groceries and drug purchases, and has an additional 3% soft drink tax (totaling 12.5%). An additional 1% is charged for prepared food and beverage purchases in the Loop and nearby neighborhoods (the area roughly bordered by Diversey Parkway, Ashland Avenue, the Stevenson Expressway, and Lake Michigan).

Illinois requires residents who make purchases online or when traveling out-of-state to report those purchases on their state income tax form and pay use tax.

http://www.infowars....-amendment-tax/

Preckwinkle’s scheme will make it even more difficult to exercise the Second Amendment in Cook County. In fact, the county admits that the tax is designed to discourage residents from owning firearms.
Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

The typcial taxpayer of Chicago, see below!!! (yea right). Do you reckon these boys will actually contribute to the gun tax revenue stream? No, honest people will, and then these nice boyscouts will simply take from these folks during breakins, robberies, etc. Way to go Chicago!!! Set the example for America to follow!!!!

http://untitled.png

• Our sales tax runs from 9.25% to 9.75%. (A huge difference is they also have a state income tax on top of that high sales tax.)
  • We have a similar requirement to report non-sales-taxed purchases to the state and pay the sales tax. Nobody does it here, and I suspect it's the same in Illinois.
  • They're proposing a tax on ammo and firearms. We already have an offical one on ammo and a defacto one on firearms.

It's almost like we're sitting in the bow of a sinking boat and looking at people in the stern like they're morons for letting their boat sink.

I know we're nowhere near Chicagoland in 2A rights. I guess I just want to point out how all these things that seem innocuous by themselves add up. A $0.10 tax on ammo. A $10 tax on firearms. A political-theater training course and permit to carry outside your home/business (tack on some more $ for those). It's hard to take huge issue with any one of those. But a simple change from shall issue to may issue changes it all drastically. I don't see that happening any time soon, but only because we have groups like the TFA and active individuals working with their state reps and senators.

We have to get involved and stay involved or we'll wake up one day and read on another state's version of TGO about how far we've gone down and let our rights get taken away.

Edited by monkeylizard

Solution to this whole mess would be to just tax the criminals convicted of gun crimes. Using their line of thinking, that crime tax should avert every future issue and they get their tax implemented.

Agreed. And...why should the one's NOT committing the crimes pay?

We already have a $10 transaction tax in TN. Only state in the union that does, AFAIK.

- OS

If you mean the cost that goes with the 4473, Tn is not alone. Ca also charges $10 PLUS the FFL can collect $15 for themselves on state mandated private transfers, that's on top of the $10 for background check. You HAVE to go through a dealer to privately transfer a firearm there. So maybe I'm a bit jaded on the topic but all I see is better deal here.

When you consider the average sales tax for most gun purchases is between $40-$100 the ten bucks doesn't bother me too much.

The ammo tax is so small it doesn't make any financial difference one way or the next for the buyer, plus it's the same ten cents if you buy a 50 round box of .22 or a 500 round can of 7.62 knowing the money is going to a good cause also helps a lot.