thinking about buying a 512 eotech

my82cam

guys, I am thinking about buying a 512 eotech for an ar15 build I am doing. other than a cheap red dot or a decent bushnell I had, I have no experience with them. before I spend the money on one(midway has them for 415 with free shipping) are they worth it? I have read a lot of good reviews, but wanted to ask my fellow members on TGO before I spent money. thanks guys.

You'll get mixed opinions on this. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the Eotech brand. I've had 2. They just "feel" weird to me. I went the Aimpoint route and enjoy the reddot tube better. Aimpoint Pro's can be had for $400 off of Amazon and other places.

Either way you win because they both are fantastic products. It'll just be your choice on which to get. I'm sure you've searched the net and read about the actual differences between the two, lord knows there's tons of threads on here about them both. It's going to end up being your personal choice......

I am not sure the different models, what is the difference between the 512 or 517? is there an upgraded one I should get over the 512?

AA model vs AAA, and also has buttons moved to the side for if you have a magnifier attached.

I also prefer the aimpoints. I personally just like 1 clean low MOA dot and nothing more. I also think most of the eotech's are overly bulky. The best deal for an aimpoint if you are looking at that model eotech, as mentioned, is the aimpoint PRO.

I have an Comp M2 and an EoTech 512. I like both, but prefer the 512. If I had it to do over again, though, I would get the model with the transverse mounted battery compartment, and side mounted buttons. I have had no trouble with mine, but I hear that the sideways battery prevents a problem that COULD occur due to recoil. The batteries, when mounted parallel to the barrel, as they are in the 512, can bounce away from the contacts under heavy recoil causing the sight to turn off. I have never had this happen, but I have heard of it when they are used on 308's. Also, the rear mounted switches suck when combined with a magnifier.

I have an Comp M2 and an EoTech 512. I like both, but prefer the 512. If I had it to do over again, though, I would get the model with the transverse mounted battery compartment, and side mounted buttons. I have had no trouble with mine, but I hear that the sideways battery prevents a problem that COULD occur due to recoil. The batteries, when mounted parallel to the barrel, as they are in the 512, can bounce away from the contacts under heavy recoil causing the sight to turn off. I have never had this happen, but I have heard of it when they are used on 308's. Also, the rear mounted switches suck when combined with a magnifier.

I have a Comp ML2 and two 512's. I prefer the Eotech as well. Side buttons would be nice, I guess. Since I don't use magnifiers, the buttons on the 512 work OK for me. I like stuff that runs on AA batteries.

I have flip-up front sights on both of my 512 rifles. I tried lower 1/3 with a riser on one of them, and wound up replacing the front sight. I prefer the Aimpoint and a lower 1/3 mount with an A2 front sight. It doesn't bother some folks to use a 512 with an A2 sight.

Don't buy anything Aimpoint or Eotech off of Ebay. Notorious for selling knockoffs that look real (markings and all) that aren't even airsoft quality internally. Also, If the price looks too good to be true, general rule is they are fakes.

The Eotech's are awesome. It's like playing a video game in real life. :)

Don't buy anything Aimpoint or Eotech off of Ebay. Notorious for selling knockoffs that look real (markings and all) that aren't even airsoft quality internally. Also, If the price looks too good to be true, general rule is they are fakes.

The Eotech's are awesome. It's like playing a video game in real life. :)

Yep. Eotech is like Magpul. You don't see big price breaks. See this...

http://www.eotech-inc.com/counterfeit_notice.php

In regards to NV capability, I have been told that the 512 is NV compatible, you just turn it to the lowest setting. It just doesn't have a single button that takes it to that setting. I have NOT been able to confirm this, because I am too po to have NV. I am sure someone here can confirm or correct me.

They're both AA

I must have clicked on wrong model on their site, I know for 100% fact the details showed AAA on one that I looked at - but aparently I didn't double check that I was looking at the right optic!

I must have clicked on wrong model on their site, I know for 100% fact the details showed AAA on one that I looked at - but aparently I didn't double check that I was looking at the right optic!

You were probably looking at counterfeit Eotech's then. They use N cell (511/551), AA (512/552) and CR123's (516/553, (E)XPS, etc).

No EOTech uses a AAA.