Beretta Bobcat .22LR

tercel89

Last Christmas my wife got me a Beretta Bobcat . I only shot it first to function test it. It ran fine . Today , 10 months later I shot a lot of rounds through it . No one malfunction at all ! I was using cheap Winchester bulk ammo 36 grain and 1280 FPS is what it is rated at . It ate it like candy . This was really a nice surprise as I usually see that guns with no extractor need a really high velocity or more expensive ammo. I am gonna send a crap load more down its throat later on . But for now this is a little awesome toy !

Again I really dont like guns with no extractor but this little guy is running like a well oiled sewing machine .

Tercel89,

I like the Bobcat also. I have one, and had a Taurus clone but it blew apart. I also had a Taurus PLY 22, one of the polymer Bobcat clones by Taurus but it now belongs to my 87 yr old shooting buddy. The main difference between the Bobcat and the Taurus PT 22 or Taurus PLY 22 is that the Beretta can be fired faster I think. The PLY 22 is a nice pistol with a fuller grip. I wish Beretta still made the high gloss blue ones with Walnut grips like mine. Also, shoot 60 grain SSS like Dolomite does in his PLY 22. When shot out of Beretta or Taurus tip up they feel like a "thawumph!!!!!!!!!!"

OldBerettaBobcat22LR.jpg

• Like 1

My 21a use to give me problems, but I recently took it to the range and shot 20 year old cheap federal ammo without a problem. I did grease the heck out of the gun before shooting. This was my 2nd handgun that I have ever purchased some 20 years ago.

If you decide to use it as a backup or primary load it with Aguila SSS rounds. They are 60 grain bullets and out of these little guns will penetrate about 8" in ballistic gelatin. I have a Taurus version and have chronographed the SSS at ~800 fps. The bullets are not stabile at all and often hit sideways, even at a few feet.

Here is a pretty good video showing how well it does. That is a NAA revolver which has a shorter barrel than the Bobcat.

Dolomite

So the heavier the bullet the more recoil , which would seem that it would be able to cycle the slide more reliably than a lighter bullet ? Is this correct ? I mean mine are 36 grain and it functions very well , but I hear a lot of .22LR guys singing the praises of Aguila ammo. Is this correct ?

I've got one too, nice little pistol. After it broke in I've never had a jam.

I like the idea of dropping a .22 short in the barrel. I keep a baited trap for skunks and possums and pop them in the head with the .22 short. Not too loud so it doesn't bother the neighbors.

I've got one too, nice little pistol. After it broke in I've never had a jam.

I like the idea of dropping a .22 short in the barrel. I keep a baited trap for skunks and possums and pop them in the head with the .22 short. Not too loud so it doesn't bother the neighbors.

Will the .22 Short cycle the slide ?

Shorts aren't exactly quiet out of that short barrel. Even out of a 4.5" barrel shorts will ring your ears.

I would grab the new CCI "quiet 22". They use a 40 grain, rather than 29 grain, bullet which hits pretty hard. It also uses as regular sized case so accuracy is good too. Velocity is listed at 710.

Dolomite

• Like 1

I'm not complaining at all but I thought the bulk packs of .22's were really horrible in these little guns with no extractors ? So far it has eaten 250 more rounds of the bulk pack of Winchester. I am extremely pleased. No failures at all with the bulk pack of Winchester.

I'll clean it and try my CCI's in it. :clap:

^ The .32acp is called the Tomcat and thats my normal carry pistol. I LOVE the gun and can only imagine how fun the .22lr ones are to shoot. My question for those with .22's is, how accurate are they? I would guess they're great, as my Tomcat is far more accurate than I or anyone who has shot it could have ever imagined. When I got mine I bought one for my girlfriend at the time as well. She got the pretty INOX version(stainless looking). The first time she ever fired a handgun was her .32acp Tomcat and she put all 8 rounds into a silhouette target at 50'!!! I can shoot at the 1" dots that are cover ups for those visible targets at 7 yards and hit em 8-9 out of 10 times. Crazy accurate little gun. One of my favorite features of it is the tilt up barrel to load the first round. Great for women because racking the action on such a small gun can be difficult for them. I've gotta find someone with a Bobcat to go to the range with some time so we can swap and shoot each others. .22's are my favorite thing to shoot. I've got a Walther P22 that I play around with and an NAA .22mag revolver(LR cylinder came with it too) that I carry in my pocket when I have on shorts and cant wear my Tomcat on my ankle.