'Sandy' to hit the NE

I have been a Pittsburgh Steelers fan since I was about 8. I have seen them play in several different cities but have never been to a home game. In August for our 10th anniversary my wife bought us lower level 50 yard line tickets for this weekend's home game. We are supposed to fly home on Tuesday, the day the storm is supposed to be the worst there. Decision time, do we cancel the trip that I have waited over 30 years for or do we take the chance of getting stranded in Pittsburgh for a while? She dropped a lot of money for these tickets so I hate to see them wasted.

Pitt your luck is as bad as my brothers! He just left on a cruise to the Bahamas yesterday at 4:30 pm. It should be an interesting boat ride! :puke:

I worked on the carnival triumph for 6 months in 2005. During hurricanes we simply kept away from them and docked at different stops when we had too if the hurricane was too close to a scheduled stop. The boat was definitely rocking harder at those times. Thankfully I never got sea sick.

Well his ship never left port. Cruise line let everyone stay onboard overnight,eat and drink for free. Gave them vouchers for a future cruise. Apparently they could not find an alternate destination.

TWC Senior Meteorologist Stu Ostro (Twitter | Facebook) said: "History is being written as an extreme weather event continues to unfold, one which will occupy a place in the annals of weather history as one of the most extraordinary to have affected the United States."

"This is an extraordinary situation, and I am not prone to hyperbole."

I'm still not understanding all the hype on this beyond the rainfall. Sandy is a very weak hurricane if she hasn't been downgraded yet. The real issue is the rainfall as she is expected to stall out for a bit. But all the hype? They're making it sound like a cat 5 super storm. Comparing her to Katrina? Wasn't Katrina a Cat 4 at landfall compared to this being a Cat 1? It appears to me all the hype surrounding this is because all the talking heads reside in the projected landfall areas.... "oh God!!!! Global warming is coming for us!!!! If only we drove hybrid cars!!!!"

I'm still not understanding all the hype on this beyond the rainfall. Sandy is a very weak hurricane if she hasn't been downgraded yet. The real issue is the rainfall as she is expected to stall out for a bit. But all the hype? They're making it sound like a cat 5 super storm. Comparing her to Katrina? Wasn't Katrina a Cat 4 at landfall compared to this being a Cat 1? It appears to me all the hype surrounding this is because all the talking heads reside in the projected landfall areas.... "oh God!!!! Global warming is coming for us!!!! If only we drove hybrid cars!!!!"

It's because it's close to the center of the Universe.

It's much more important because NYC is involved.

I think there are a lot of factors with this storm. It's rare for New England to see hurricanes at all but much like Katrina it is the size of the storm which may produce 60-85mph winds for 24 hrs. I have a friend that lives in Atlantic City and they are predicting tidal waves of over 20ft, which is pretty serious when the tide is so high.

Actually it is not the strength of the category that is of concern. IT is a the wall of water from the extraordinarily low pressure in the storm. Lower pressure than measured in a storm to hit the east coast in a very long time if ever. The other factor is the confluence of what they call the frankenstorm. It is the meeting of two large storms at one tie, a hurrican and a nor'easter. This creates a storm nearly 1000 miles across, with a stong wall of water heading to the the most densely populated part ot the United States. I would normally agree that anything affecting major center of media is worse than other things in other parts of the country.

However the people usually most sedate in their reactions, are very concerned about the storm. I hope they are wrong Hopefully it won't be any big deal but to a small art of the area, but everything currenty says otherwise. As was stated people get way too hung up in categories and in the end they are general guidelines. Many things go into the severity of these storms. My personal experience in living on the east coast twice has been that our worst storms have been the nor'easters. The hurricanes have been uisances. Here we have both meeting just as the hurricane is about to make landfall.

By the way Katrina was a Cat 3 when it approached landfall.

Edited by Warbird
As was stated people get way too hung up in categories and in the end they are general guidelines.

No, it isn't general. They're categorized by sustained wind speed. Having grown up on the Gulf coast of Florida I can say there is a huge difference between 85 mph sustained winds and 130 mph sustained winds.