Mosin Sniper

I got the Mosin Sniper(depending on who you ask) I ordered from Classic Arms. It is a 42 Izhevsk. The scope is a Progress, which was a Carl Zeiss company. It appears clear, although it was dark outside and I only looked through it in the house. The rifle has a heavy coat of shellac, and the fore end seems to have been rubbed with some kind of dark finish which I assume was to cut down glare. Here are the required pictures.

[img]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/BigGuy300/IMG_6031.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/BigGuy300/IMG_6032.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/BigGuy300/IMG_6034.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/BigGuy300/IMG_6033.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/BigGuy300/IMG_6037.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/BigGuy300/IMG_6038.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/BigGuy300/IMG_6039.jpg[/img]

I'm not sure when I will get to try it out. Soon I hope Edited by Glenn
  • Like 1
The scope number matches the number that is stamped on the side of the chamber, . then that same number is electro penciled on the scope mount. what is actually the serial number, I guess, starts with what looks like AA___,is stamped on the top of the chamber, the buttplate, the triggrguard and is also electro penciled on the scope mount.
[quote name='sL1k' timestamp='1352525944' post='842961']I've never shot a mosin but that makes me want one.[/quote]

Much like Obamaphones, everyone should have a Mosin. If you don't have one, sell the crappiest gun in your safe and use that to get a Mosin.
  • Like 2
I ran some patches and a brush through the bore and it is bright and there seems to be no pitting but I'm not ready to pass judgement on the rifling. I still need to clean it some. My first Mosin I got too aggressive and ended up refinishing it. While I am happy with how it turned out I don'tt want to do that with this one. I have read that some people say don't even disassemble them
Yeah definitely go easy on it. That's a rifle many people, like myself, would be very happy to own. Break the bolt down and clean every nook and cranny. Clean the chamber and extractor relief really well too. I'd remove the action and remedy any active rust hidden by the stock as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1352528388' post='842973']
Or save up the $100 or so bucks and keep your crappiest gun.
I mean seriously $100 for a good shooting gun! That's insane. What's even more insane is not owning one.
[/quote]

I'm beginning to have impure thoughts about these rifles. I passed by one the other day and I swear I heard it suggest going home with me to get better acquainted.
  • Like 2
Those thoughts are totally normal. They will continue to persist until you break down and buy one. They don't stop there though, they just change from "buy one, buy one" to " buy one more, buy one more".

Of course by this time you are hopelessly addicted and Betty Ford couldn't get you to stop.
The good news is as rifles go they're easy enough on the budget that you may still live a long life with some semblance of quality to it.
  • Like 1
[quote name='G27ATT' timestamp='1352562631' post='843080']
Yeah definitely go easy on it. That's a rifle many people, like myself, would be very happy to own. Break the bolt down and clean every nook and cranny. Clean the chamber and extractor relief really well too. I'd remove the action and remedy any active rust hidden by the stock as well.

[/quote]
So you don't see any harm in removing the fore end? The bands that hold it on are really gummed up.

Very nice looking rifle Glenn. I think you'll really enjoy it. Mine had little to no cosmo under the stock but it's worth breaking down anyway just to oil up the metal underneath. The barrel bands were not particularly difficult to remove, was able to do so with no scratches or flaking of the shellac.

Have you thoroughly read the manual? It's a real treat. :lol:

[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1352564235' post='843094']
Those thoughts are totally normal. They will continue to persist until you break down and buy one. They don't stop there though, they just change from "buy one, buy one" to " buy one more, buy one more".

Of course by this time you are hopelessly addicted and Betty Ford couldn't get you to stop.
The good news is as rifles go they're easy enough on the budget that you may still live a long life with some semblance of quality to it.
[/quote]

Sounds like the 1911itis and ARitis symptons to me.

[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1352570585' post='843155']
Very nice looking rifle Glenn. I think you'll really enjoy it. Mine had little to no cosmo under the stock but it's worth breaking down anyway just to oil up the metal underneath. The barrel bands were not particularly difficult to remove, was able to do so with no scratches or flaking of the shellac.

Have you thoroughly read the manual? It's a real treat. :lol:
[/quote]
It sure is a treat. definitely written by someone with little understanding of english.

[quote name='Glenn' timestamp='1352566897' post='843115']
So you don't see any harm in removing the fore end? The bands that hold it on are really gummed up.[/quote]

I would want to stop active rust. For my own piece of mind, I'd absolutely take the action out.

[quote name='G27ATT' timestamp='1352584205' post='843287']
I would want to stop active rust. For my own piece of mind, I'd absolutely take the action out.

[/quote]

I see we can agree on something. yup what G27ATT said break it down and if it has any shims just take note of them. I found some active rust that I feel better about after some corrective maneuvers.
[quote name='NRA' timestamp='1352586886' post='843335']

I see we can agree on something. yup what G27ATT said break it down and if it has any shims just take note of them. I found some active rust that I feel better about after some corrective maneuvers.[/quote]

Shims..... Very important.

[quote name='hipower' timestamp='1352562679' post='843081']
I'm beginning to have impure thoughts about these rifles. I passed by one the other day and I swear I heard it suggest going home with me to get better acquainted.
[/quote] The suggestion you heard wasn't take me...it was take US...all of us. Comrade.
  • Like 2
Guest monkeylove
Have you zero'ed in the scope yet? I've got a sniper and the process of zeroing it in is a conundrum to me. Mostly because this popular[url="http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/mosin-nagant-sighting.asp"] source [/url]for setting up the scope suggests shimming or grinding (!) the mount to get the reticle in line with the gun.
I've got the windage and elevation set at 50 yards with a laser and had to pop the cap and reset the windage dial... without grinding it down.. hope to practice shooting it in the next couple days.

Only issue with these guns is you need arms that are about a foot long to appreciate that tiny buttstock.

[quote name='monkeylove' timestamp='1353228461' post='847505']
Only issue with these guns is you need arms that are about a foot long to appreciate that tiny buttstock.
[/quote]

So your saying they were designed for a Tyrannosaurus Rex? I know their old, but didn't know they were that old! :rofl:

[quote name='monkeylove' timestamp='1353228461' post='847505']
Have you zero'ed in the scope yet? I've got a sniper and the process of zeroing it in is a conundrum to me. Mostly because this popular[url="http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/mosin-nagant-sighting.asp"] source[/url]for setting up the scope suggests shimming or grinding (!) the mount to get the reticle in line with the gun.
I've got the windage and elevation set at 50 yards with a laser and had to pop the cap and reset the windage dial... without grinding it down.. hope to practice shooting it in the next couple days.

[/quote]

This is a bit unusual. Most that have been through a arsenal refurb. are just about dead on out of the box. I have heard of a couple that needed some grinding to the mount to center the scope over the barrel. Mine was set after only 3 rounds. Edited by NRA