Christmas Time TGO Premium Membership (Benefactor) Giveaway

In the spirit of Christmas and my appreciation for TGO and its members, I will be giving away three six month Premium (Benefactor) Memberships.

The three lucky winners will be randomly chosen on Saturday, December 1, 2012.

The rules are as follows:

1) You must have a minimum of 30 legitimate posts at time of drawing.

2) You must not currently be a Premium (Benefactor) Member at time of drawing.

3) You must respond to this thread with a recipe for at least one of your favorite holiday dishes. Please include any cooking times and temperatures.

If you would like to add a recipe to this thread, but do not wish to enter the giveaway, please feel free to do so. Please comment in your post that you do not wish to enter for the giveaway.

Good luck to all!
  • Like 2
Guest D.B. Cooper
I love stuffing... and here is my favorite stuffing recipe!

[b]Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing[/b]
(Makes 10 servings)

Ingredients

[indent=1]1 1/2 cups cubed whole wheat bread[/indent]
[indent=1]3 3/4 cups cubed white bread[/indent]
[indent=1]1 pound ground turkey sausage[/indent]
[indent=1]1 cup chopped onion[/indent]
[indent=1]3/4 cup chopped celery[/indent]
[indent=1]2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage[/indent]
[indent=1]1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary[/indent]
[indent=1]1/2 teaspoon dried thyme[/indent]
[indent=1]1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped[/indent]
[indent=1]3/4 cup dried cranberries[/indent]
[indent=1]1/3 cup minced fresh parsley[/indent]
[indent=1]1 cooked turkey liver, finely chopped[/indent]
[indent=1]3/4 cup turkey stock[/indent]
[indent=1]4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted[/indent]

Instructions:[list=1]
[*]Preheat oven to 350 degree F (175 degree C). Spread the white and whole wheat bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet.

[*]Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.

[*]In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.

[*]Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Mix in chopped apples, dried cranberries, parsley, and liver.

[*]Drizzle with turkey stock and melted butter, and mix lightly.

[*]Spoon into turkey to loosely fill
[/list]

**Edit to make it easier to read. Edited by TheBisch
Guest rebeldrummer
Here is just ONE of the things I enjoy eating this time of year..

[color=#0000cd][size=5][b]Venison and gravy...with taters of course![/b][/size][/color]

1 1/2 lbs venison steak, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons bacon drippings
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1 small onion, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Heat bacon drippings in a medium skillet on medium heat. Add deer steaks. Season with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides.
Sprinkle flour over steaks. Allow to brown slightly.
Slowly add 3 cups milk; bring to a boil. Add sliced onion. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until steaks and onion are tender. Stir occasionally. Remove cover and allow gravy to thicken. Edited by rebeldrummer
I'll play. I'll keep in theme with a recent popular topic. You either love my deep fried turkey or you haven't tried it yet.

One turkey 16 pounds is ideal.
One pint of creole butter and an injector
Tony Chacheree's (SP) seasoning
3-4 gallons of peanut oil

Make sure you give the turkey plenty of time to thaw. After it is thawed put the turkey in your stock pot and add water until the turkey is completely covered. Remove turkey and mark the water level with a sharpie or grease pencil. Empty the water and replace with peanut oil. Go ahead and fire up your burners it will take a good hour or so to get the oil up to cooking temp. In the meantime inject the turkey with the creole butter and pat all surfaces with Tony Chacheree's. When you think that you have used enough creole butter use a little more. Once the oil is up to about 400 degrees gently lower the turkey in and watch your thermometer closely you want to keep the oil temp as close to 350 as possible. Cook 3 1/2 minutes per pound of bird.

After everyone is done telling you how awesome the turkey is hand them a bottle of Dawn and ask them to clean up your giant mess.
  • Like 1
Here's one to make for dinner not as an actual holiday meal but one for the season that is quick and good:

[b]Pork Tenderloin in Cranberry Sauce[/b]

- Ingredients
1-1.5 lbs pork tenderloin
(1.5 T butter, divided)
(1 t rosemary, 1 T balsamic vinegar)
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c whole berry cranberry sauce
(Salt & pepper)

Melt 1 T butter in ovenproof skillet. Sear pork on all sides about 2 minutes. Place skillet with pork in oven and roast at 450° until pork reaches 160°, about 25-30 min.
Melt remaining butter in another skillet. Add onion and rosemary. Sauté 3 minutes.
Add broth, cranberry sauce and vinegar. Whisk until cranberry sauce melts.
Transfer pork to platter and pour juices into cranberry mixture. Boil until sauce will coat a spoon, about 6 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Slice pork & serve with sauce.

Here's a pic, this is a little bit heavy with the sauce though cause I like it to be sweeter

[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/178468_3754709711073_88082534_o.jpg[/img] Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1
[center]TOO MUCH PORK[/center]
[center]Ingredients:[/center]
[center]1lb roll of breakfast sausage[/center]
[center]4-5 lb whole boneless pork loin[/center]
[center]Method:[/center][list=1]
[*]Cut a pocket in the side of the pork loin. Set to the side.
[*]Start BBQ grill (I prefer charcoal, but propane is ok too). If using propane, a medium/medium high temperature is ideal.
[*]Brown breakfast sausage in skillet like one would brown hamburger. The meat should be browned and have a temperature of 165 degrees.
[*]Stuff the cooked sausage into the pocket of the pork loin.
[*]Tie pork loin closed with butcher’s twine.
[*]Wrap in aluminum foil and place on grill.
[*]Cook (turning every 30 minutes) for 1 hour 30 minutes or until pork loin internal temperature is 165 degrees.
[*]Remove from grill and allow to “rest” for 3 minutes.
[*]Slice and serve.
[/list]
Smoked turkey.

Things you will need: turkey, turkey injector, stick of butter, turkey thermometer, a charcoal smoker, hickory wood chips, charcoal, water pan, matches.

Instructions: defrost turkey, melt stick of butter, inject melted stick of butter into turkey, stick therometer deep into turkey breast, start smoker, add pan of water to first rack nearest coals, add turkey to top rack farthest from the coals, get smoker up to temp, add hickory chips, allow turkey to smoke until thermometer says turkey is done, add more hickory chips as needed.

Takes a couple of hours but it makes the juiciest, most flavorful bird I have ever tasted, I won't ever go back to frying or baking or rotissery'ing a turkey ever again.
Not entering the contest, just sharing my Christmas prime rib recipe. I've done this a couple of times and it has turned out great.

Ingredients:

6 lb standing rib roast/prime rib
Kitchen twine/string
1 x vidalia onion
8 x halved mushrooms
Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup Olive oil
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
Half a bottle of dark beer, give or take.

Instructions:

Cut roast away from the ribs. There should be a healthy layer of fat at the top of the roast. If it is thicker than 1 inch trim it down a bit. Otherwise leave it be. Take an ice pick or similar tool and poke about a dozen holes a few inches into your roast. Don't worry, it won't cause the juices to leak bad since we're gonna sear it. Combine your garlic, salt and pepper with the olive oil, mix it well, then give your roast a good rub down. Try to shove some of that garlic down into the holes you made, along with those coarse granules of salt. Use the twine to tie your roast back to the ribs the way it was cut off.

Chop your onion into half dollar-like sections, about 1/4 inch thick and line the bottom of your cooking dish (something with a little depth, like glass cookware or one of those disposable tins). You can place the roast on top of them onions. Add those shrooms to the pan too. Add beer, but don't make it deeper than the width of your onion slices.

Heat oven to 500 degrees and throw the roast in there for about 20 minutes. You're trying to sear the outer layer of that roast and bleed some of that fat into the pan.

After twenty minutes lower the temperature to 200 degrees, and be sure to use a baster to keep it wet. As it cooks the fat will run off and cook with the beer, onions and mushrooms making a delicious stew to baste your roast with as it cooks. Don't cook to time; cook to temperature. Cooking at this low temperature will cause it to cook very evenly throughout, so what you will end up with should be about 1/4 inch of brown meat on the outside, and evenly pink all the way through. Take the roast out once the internal temp reaches 110-115 (depending on how rare you consider medium rare) degrees. Cover will tin foil and let sit for 30 minutes or so.

This will turn out with very tender and juicy meat on the spectrum of medium rare. I've done it this way a couple of times and am doing it again for Christmas this year.
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352749071' post='844381']Not entering the contest, just sharing my Christmas prime rib recipe. I've done this a couple of times and it has turned out great.

Ingredients:

6 lb standing rib roast/prime rib
Kitchen twine/string
1 x vidalia onion
8 x halved mushrooms
Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup Olive oil
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
Half a bottle of dark beer, give or take.

Instructions:

Cut roast away from the ribs. There should be a healthy layer of fat at the top of the roast. If it is thicker than 1 inch trim it down a bit. Otherwise leave it be. Take an ice pick or similar tool and poke about a dozen holes a few inches into your roast. Don't worry, it won't cause the juices to leak bad since we're gonna sear it. Combine your garlic, salt and pepper with the olive oil, mix it well, then give your roast a good rub down. Try to shove some of that garlic down into the holes you made, along with those coarse granules of salt. Use the twine to tie your roast back to the ribs the way it was cut off.

Chop your onion into half dollar-like sections, about 1/4 inch thick and line the bottom of your cooking dish (something with a little depth, like glass cookware or one of those disposable tins). You can place the roast on top of them onions. Add those shrooms to the pan too. Add beer, but don't make it deeper than the width of your onion slices.

Heat oven to 500 degrees and throw the roast in there for about 20 minutes. You're trying to sear the outer layer of that roast and bleed some of that fat into the pan.

After twenty minutes lower the temperature to 200 degrees, and be sure to use a baster to keep it wet. As it cooks the fat will run off and cook with the beer, onions and mushrooms making a delicious stew to baste your roast with as it cooks. Don't cook to time; cook to temperature. Cooking at this low temperature will cause it to cook very evenly throughout, so what you will end up with should be about 1/4 inch of brown meat on the outside, and evenly pink all the way through. Take the roast out once the internal temp reaches 110-115 (depending on how rare you consider medium rare) degrees. Cover will tin foil and let sit for 30 minutes or so.

This will turn out with very tender and juicy meat on the spectrum of medium rare. I've done it this way a couple of times and am doing it again for Christmas this year.[/quote]

Give or take, how does it need to cook before reaching 110-115 degrees?
I wish I could remember; I wasn't home for Christmas last year, so it's been a while. Probably about 3 hours, if you bring the roast to room temp before cooking it (which is also important). I checked periodically to be sure. The advantage of cooking at such a low temperature is that you don't need to worry about losing heat by checking every so often. The oven should return to 200 degrees quickly. I would baste every 20-30 minutes, so I would use that as an opportunity to check the internal temperature after it was in there for a while. Of course, the size of the roast will determine cooktime, so time is not an exact science, but temperature is.
My version of "Chex" party mix

Get one of those large disposable aluminum basting bins available at any grocery store
3 cups Cheerios
3 cups Rice, Wheat, and Corn Chex.
1 can of mixed nuts
1/2 bag of stick pretzels
8 tablepoons of butter or spread
2 tablespoons of Worchershire sauce
1 teaspoon of seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder

Pour the cereal, nuts and pretzels into the big basting pan, mix. Set aside.

Melt butter in sauce pan, add the Salt, powders, Worchershire sauce

Pour the melted butter over the basting pan. Gently mix, so there is a light coating on all the cereal, nuts, and pretzels.

Bake on a low 250 degrees for around an hour, mixing occasionally.

Pull mix out of the bastin bin, and into bowls to cool.

Enjoy.

Nut allergy? Don't put them in.
Not entering but:

Cheesey Chicken

2 cups of macroni, bring water to a boil dump the macroni in for 2 minutes and drain

Extra Sharp cheddar cheese, I used about 12 oz. use whatever is to your liking

2 cups of chicken, cubed into 1" squares, I used 1 whole boneless chicken breast

2 cans of cream of mushroom soup

1 1/2 cups of milk

2 small cooking onions

mix the cream of mushroom soup, milk and onions together until creamy, layer the precooked mac onto the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan, then add the chicken, make sure you have enough chicken to cover the mac, then add the cheese, again add enough to cover the chicken, biw add the mushroom soup mixture on top of that, do not mix. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until soup is bubbly. This is optional but add another layer of cheese on top of casserole when you take it out of the oven.

• Like 1
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352755818' post='844441']I wish I could remember; I wasn't home for Christmas last year, so it's been a while. Probably about 3 hours, if you bring the roast to room temp before cooking it (which is also important). I checked periodically to be sure. The advantage of cooking at such a low temperature is that you don't need to worry about losing heat by checking every so often. The oven should return to 200 degrees quickly. I would baste every 20-30 minutes, so I would use that as an opportunity to check the internal temperature after it was in there for a while. Of course, the size of the roast will determine cooktime, so time is not an exact science, but temperature is.[/quote]

Either way, now I really want some prime rib.
[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1352771888' post='844596']

Either way, now I really want some prime rib.[/quote]

It's good. I get it near half off each year with my Kroger Plus Card too! A 6 pound roast is about $70 bucks, but I've gotten it both times for less than $40 using the card.
Favorite recipe for cold weather, good for watching football.

Green Chili

2 pounds shredded smoked pork, turkey, or shredded brisket
3 medium onions coarse chopped
Garlic as much or as little as you want
4 small cans chopped green chilles
1 jar Hernadez green chile salsa.
2 teaspoons roasted and ground cummin or more if you like
1 teaspoon ground corriander
1 teaspoon red chil powder

1/4 cup butter margarine or olive oil
1/4 cup flour

put all ingrediants in a crock pot and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or in a dutch oven in the oven at 200 degrees.
If it is not thick enough use the butter and flour to make a roux.

This should be a good thick hearty stew serve with Fritos or tortillas. Topped with grated cheddar or sour cream.
You can make it as hot or as mild as you like. You can use jalapenos instead of the green chilis.
  • Like 1
Guest Broomhead
Easiest freaking turkey you will ever make, but the moistest and most tender.
Crock Pot Turkey:

1 all white meat turkey breast (about 3lbs; We like Butterball.)
1 cube of chicken bullion
dried onions
celery seed
regular Mrs. Dash
water

Add turkey breast to crock pot and fill with water. Dissolve bullion cube in hot water and add to crock pot. Now comes the hard part because I don't measure the rest. Add dried onions till the surface of the water is [b]almost[/b] covered. Also add a dash of celery seed(not too much), and two or three dashes of Mrs. Dash (add as desired). Cook for 6-8 hours then enjoy. Edited by Broomhead
Guest seawolf138

This recipe was linked on a World of Warcraft forum a couple years ago, I'm not going to type it all out, just post a link instead, I don't wanna take the credit for someone else's recipe :)

BBQ Bacon Explosion

[url="http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/"]http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/[/url]

I like to eat it on a burger bun, but all you really need is a fork. :)

I like to do "ABT's" (Atomic Buffalo Turds) for snacks @ Parties.

Stuffed jalapeno's off the grill. Great appentizer or side item.
Ingredients:
• 2 lb Jalapeno's - fresh 2 -3 inches each (approx 30 count)
• 2 8 ounce pack of Cream Cheese
• 2 lb Bacon (may not use all)
• 1.5 lb Pulled Pork
Instructions: Wash, remove stems and half jalapeno's lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).
Use left over pulled pork, or prepare a small shoulder (2lb) for this. Besides pulled pork you can use any meat. Hamburger, or wedges of italian sausage work well also.
Cut lengths of bacon strips just long enough to wrap around jalapeno half about twice.
Fill jalapeno halfs with cream cheese, top with a small amount of pulled pork and wrap the whole thing with a peice of bacon. I usually hold bacon on top of end of jalapeno and wrap around the middle and come back up over top at other end. Hold bacon ends in place with ½ toothpick each end.
Get cooker at 325deg steady. You are wanting to get bacon cooked without burning up the jalapeno's. I use a raised grid, and place the jalepeno's on a veggie rack allowing for easy removal when done.
Smoking these are even better. Maple wood and Hickory work well.
Allow 30 - 40 minutes for bacon to be done. Check them half way through and rearrange as necessary to prevent any hot spots burning any.

You can replace the pulled pork with *anything*. I have done them with little smokies,shrimp,ham,turkey... etc.

Here is a pic of some of mine on the Big Green Egg:

[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/JTWood/egg/082.jpg[/IMG] Edited by Woody
Real Plum Pudding

The centerpiece of a British Christmas, and traditionally made right about now so it can age and develop it's full flavor for Christmas dinner!
[size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ingredients[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]10 eggs
1 cup white flour
4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons nutmeg
4 ounces chopped almond pieces
1 grated apple
1 pound light brown sugar
Rind and juice of an orange and a lemon
3 pounds raisins use some currants, some yellow, and some sultanas. The more variety in fruits, the better the pudding.
8 ounces candied cherries or natural dried cherries
24 ounces bread crumbs
12 ounces candied peel (candied pineapple chunks, citron, mixed peel)
1 pint of Guinness
5 tablespoons of hard liquor
1 pound butter or finely minced suet if preferred[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Method[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Rub the raisins and other fruits with the flour and spices. The flour adheres to the stickiness of the fruits and gives the pud a nice even texture.[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cut the butter into fine pieces and mix well with the dry ingredients.[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In a separate bowl mix the liquid ingredients. When the liquids have been well stirred, add them to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix all together very well.[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The batter should be a bit loose, a little thicker than a cake mix. If it’s dry like bread dough, add more Guinness.[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Traditionally, you would grease a big square of unbleached muslin and pour the pudding into this, tying off the top with string. In these modern times, heat-proof bowls are an acceptable substitute for the cloth bag method...and much easier.[/font][/size][/size]
[color=#000000][left][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
[size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Line the bowl with parchment paper; fill to within an inch of the top of the bowl. Cover the batter with parchment paper and use a lid for steaming. Sealing the top of the bowl with foil will work if there is no self-lid for the bowl. Fill the pot in which you are steaming the pudding to just below the top of the pudding bowl and gently boil for at least 12 hours. I use the slow cooker for this and it works very well. Depending on the size of the bowls used, you may get about three puddings from this recipe. [/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]When the pudding has cooled, remove it from the bowl, dribble brandy (or any other whiskey-type stuff) over the top of it, letting as much sink in as possible. Seal the puddings in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. [/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Let it sit for as long as possible before serving. A month or two is not too long. [/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Traditionally, the pudding was steamed again for an hour before serving. There are two possible methods: Remove the wrapping, return the pudding to the original bowl, and steam again for an hour.[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Turn it out on a heat-proof serving plate and proceed to the lighting ---or---unwrap the pudding, place it on the serving platter, and microwave for 10 minutes at 50 percent power. The microwave method, though obviously not traditional, works exceptionally well.[/font][/size][/size][size=2]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]To serve, dribble with brandy, garnish with a sprig of holly, and light it immediately before bringing it to the table.[/font][/size][/size]

[color=#000000][left][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
[/background][/left][/color][/background][/left][/color]
My entry is my Ding Dong Cake.

1 box devil's food cake mix
8 oz cream cheese (soft)
8 oz Cool Whip
3 cups powdered sugar
1 container of milk chocolate icing
1 stick of butter (soften it up)

Prepare and bake cake as directed on box in 2 round cake pans

In a bowl mix the butter and cream cheese.
Add powdered sugar and fold in Cool Whip. Don't over mix in the Cool Whip or it will flatten

After the cakes are completely cooled split the layers and spread filling on each layer and stack them up.

Then ice entire cake with the chocolate icing. You will be able to put a thick layer of filling between the layers.

Serve at room temp. Putting it in the fridge will make it too hard.

My wife loves my Ding Dong. Try this and your wife will love your ding dong too...
My wife makes a killer Apricot Nectar Cake. Darn good stuff. Amusingly enough, we found her mother's "secret recipe" copied from the beat-up index card that's older than I am, is widely available online. I compared it, and it's the exact recipe, point for point.

1 18.25oz packaged lemon cake mix.
1/3 cup white suger
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup apricot nectar
4 eggs
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Combine cake mix with sugar, cooking oil, and apricot nectar. Beat for two minutes with mixer. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Pour batter into pan.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a plate.

In a small bowl, mix lemon juice with confectioners' sugar until you reach desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over sides of warm cake.