Puppy Shot And Killed For Wandering Into Neighbor's Yard

IMO

When you got kids that injure or kill pet animals, the various authorities put them on a list and start watching them, as it's a Very Bad Sign. Sometimes kids then move onto injuring or killing people. Harming animals is a Warning.

I imagine the same thing would apply to adults. When you have an adult that injures or kills pet animals, I imagine the various authorities put them on a list and start watching them, as it's a Very Bad Sign. Harming animals is a Warning.

I believe this Evil Man is going to start collecting traffic tickets left and right, get charged with littering, fined over an unkempt lawn, have difficulty cashing checks, and potentially lose custody of kids or grandkids. You can be pretty sure every neighbor around him is going to be watching him like a hawk. If he gets himself into a shouting match with one of his neighbors, or at Wal-Mart, he could end up with an assault charge. Responding officers would find the prior incident with the dog and he'd lose any benefit of the doubt and the officer would be more likely to cuff, stuff and transport him. He has not gotten away with anything, and he has not done himself any favors.

Folks might not want to hear this, but the little dog may have accomplished a Last and Noble Mission, sacrificing its life to point out an Evil Man, and perhaps saving the life of other people by warning us all. God put the animals on this earth to serve us, and sacrifices like this are a part of the Divine Service of Animals. Grieving for the little dog is a marker of your own personal quality and your desire to protect the least among us.

IMO Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1
I am an old man. I would walk in dog $h!* all day before I would shoot a dog.
Having said that I have to ask, why was Garrett not charged with reckless endangerment?
I know the area this happened in. There are a lot of homes in the vicinity.
An innocent child could have been hit by a stray shot.
I'm going to play devils advocate here. I'm not going to get into a p*ssing contest with anyone, just offering a different point of view.

First thing I noticed is all the evil death wishes and bad karma being hoped upon the gentleman in question. Y'all sound like a bunch of tree hugging liberals. So sad. I understand that some people place pets on a higher stool than most of their family members. That, also sad.

Plus, the story stated that the neighbor had a previous pet. My gut tells me the neighbors were much like mine. They have been told time and time and time again to keep their damn dog in their own yard. Yet, the neighbors continue to thumb their nose at him, much like mine do. The owner admitted to letting the dog out first with no leash. My guess is she had no intentions of putting the dog on the leash at all. Even being a puppy, that puppy has enough energy and weight to cause harm to someone who is old. So I can't say I don't blame him for putting an end to a problem that has probably been a problem for alot longer than the news is reporting.

My neighbor's dog is a pitbull/hound dog mix and is extremely aggressive, yet my neighbor let's it run free all the time, even after numerous talks with me. I'm about to have a child and I would not hesitate to shoot that dog if I thought for one second it was too close to my kid, wife or myself.

Don't burn me too bad. I'm not saying he was right, I'm just saying maybe he wasn't entirely wrong.
[quote name='101' timestamp='1353014625' post='846169']
Don't burn me too bad. I'm not saying he was right, I'm just saying maybe he wasn't entirely wrong.
[/quote]

He was entirely wrong. It was a friggin min-pin. He might as well have been afraid of a teacup poodle. If you have a problem with the neighbors dog in your yard, as long as it isn't attacking anyone you have any number of options. Call animal control. Pop it with a frickin BB gun. You don't go shooting a gun in a residential neighborhood for a non life-threatening situation.
  • Like 1
May I suggest reporting the stray to the dog catcher, repeatedly. They will then get the dog, and fine the neighbor. Report it as aggressive.

Different situation, but yes, there is responsibility of the owner to keep the dog leeshed or behind a fence.

Again, your situation is different, your dog is a large, aggressive dog, this was a puppy, not likely to bite, or be a threat (I guess the guy could have tripped over it?)

It seems, seems, like the shooter was angry the neighbor ignored him... Edited by HvyMtl
[quote name='HvyMtl' timestamp='1353015072' post='846174']
May I suggest reporting the stray to the dog catcher, repeatedly. They will then get the dog, and fine the neighbor. Report it as aggressive.

Different situation, but yes, there is responsibility of the owner to keep the dog leeshed or behind a fence.

Again, your situation is different, your dog is a large, aggressive dog, this was a puppy, not likely to bite, or be a threat (I guess the guy could have tripped over it?)

It seems, seems, like the shooter was angry the neighbor ignored him...
[/quote]

In response to 101... this. If you live in the county where there isn't a specific animal control division, call the sheriff's dept.
I'm going to play devils advocate here. I'm not going to get into a p*ssing contest with anyone, just offering a different point of view.

First thing I noticed is all the evil death wishes and bad karma being hoped upon the gentleman in question. Y'all sound like a bunch of tree hugging liberals. So sad. I understand that some people place pets on a higher stool than most of their family members. That, also sad.

Plus, the story stated that the neighbor had a previous pet. My gut tells me the neighbors were much like mine. They have been told time and time and time again to keep their damn dog in their own yard. Yet, the neighbors continue to thumb their nose at him, much like mine do. The owner admitted to letting the dog out first with no leash. My guess is she had no intentions of putting the dog on the leash at all. Even being a puppy, that puppy has enough energy and weight to cause harm to someone who is old. So I can't say I don't blame him for putting an end to a problem that has probably been a problem for alot longer than the news is reporting.

My neighbor's dog is a pitbull/hound dog mix and is extremely aggressive, yet my neighbor let's it run free all the time, even after numerous talks with me. I'm about to have a child and I would not hesitate to shoot that dog if I thought for one second it was too close to my kid, wife or myself.

[/quote]The average "adult" Min Pin weighs 7 to 10 pounds! This was a "puppy" probably 3 to 5 pounds maxium! I have 5 of them!

Reading what you have posted, tells me "you know nothing about dogs"!

You're probably more afraid of the dog, than it is aggressive! Edited by CCI

.[/quote]

No, it isn't "sad" to value the life of a dog over the life of a human that would willfully kill a defenseless animal for no reason other than spite. I feel sadness for this dog, whereas if this man was raped to death by a herd of rhinos tomorrow I would feel nothing but joy.

There is a myth that every human life is precious. This myth is perpetuated by people that do not understand evil people. Edited by TMF
  • Like 1

[/quote]
Jebus.. we are not talking about a 50 lbs pit or pit mix here ..it was 3 lbs dog.. thats less weight than a coon or a possum..

We might sound like treehugging liberals but you sound like an ass... So sad!!!
  • Like 1
This story sounds bad; however, having had neighbors with terribly annoying pets, I must admit that I have thought about killing a pet on more than one occasion. There is no telling what history exist between these two neighbors, and I can tell you from experience that the recommended resources are often little help. Either way, I am sad for the family with the slain dog, but I cannot not be too quick to judge the old man.
[quote name='dats82' timestamp='1353020630' post='846223']
This story sounds bad; however, having had neighbors with terribly annoying pets, I must admit that I have thought about killing a pet on more than one occasion. There is no telling what history exist between these two neighbors, and I can tell you from experience that the recommended resources are often little help. Either way, I am sad for the family with the slain dog, but I cannot not be too quick to judge the old man.
[/quote]
This whole debate was on here not to long ago..

And we are all passionate about our own family and kids and would do anything to protect them... But this was overkill.. it was a 3 months old Min Pin... they are not much bigger than a giant rat .. he would not even had regular teeth..even if they did had a dog lose before.. if it was a huge dog that was aggressive towards him or his children or grandkids... There would have been no discussion about it...
But this was a 3 lbs dog.. a baby..
Needless and over the top.. ..

You do not just up and shoot a puppy.. a tiny puppy....
We have 8 dogs, all strays, My OL, God lover, cant say no, when we die I will be cleaning the pound
She is running in Heaven.
I grew up on a farm, we had cows and pigs(I hate pigs, cows OK)
when the next door dogs start running the cows and the pigs we went to the owners and talked to them.
2 or 3 times till the dogs killed a calf, talking stoped and the rifle came out, 4 dogs in one day.
All from the same family, after the first dog was put down we went to the owners and told them
what we did, they were upset, they would not want to pay for the calf.
The next 3 dogs put down were put in the ground by me on the farm, we did not go next door to tell the owners.
All that said, killing a dog is a very hard thing to do, even when you HAVE to.
This Man did not HAVE to!!!
  • Like 1
Every kid needs to have a dog when they are growing up. They need to have all kinds of great lifelong memories about their adventures.

This man has taken that and replaced it with sadness because no matter how many dogs those kids will have they will ALWAYS remember the time their dog was shot and killed.

He should never forget it either. Be it because he is in jail of because he is forced into financial hardship.

I would have had a hard time acting with restraint had I been confronted with the same situation.

Dolomite
Guest Mad4rcn
[quote name='Sour Kraut' timestamp='1353020212' post='846220']
Jebus.. we are not talking about a 50 lbs pit or pit mix here ..it was 3 lbs dog.. thats less weight than a coon or a possum..

We might sound like treehugging liberals but you sound like an ass... So sad!!!
[/quote]

I took my pit to the vet a couple months back to have a couple of things removed.
He weighed in at 98 pounds,before the removal of course. Just sharing.
It isn't just grumpy old men who do this, unfortunately...sometimes it's burly, police officers who apparently are afraid of little dogs...do you all remember this piece of dirt Cookville LEO who shot a small family dog in 2010 during a botched (i.e. wrong car) traffic stop?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125436&page=1#.UKZdoWenLQg
  • Like 1
[quote name='Mad4rcn' timestamp='1353079455' post='846541']
I took my pit to the vet a couple months back to have a couple of things removed.
He weighed in at 98 pounds,before the removal of course. Just sharing.
[/quote]
Pits do not suppose to weigh that much..The old time lines..like Jeep,Heinzl and such where never that big..I seen pits that are huge like the Gotti lines.. they are awful looking.Overbred,inbred andruined by people who think bigger is better.Ours is barely 40 lbs and she is an old bloodline..like the suppose to look.The ghetto breeding has ruined the breed..sadly...just saying

This wasnt a jab at you.I am just saying.I love pits.We bred and have own this breed for over 20 years now..Dont think I am bitching at you:) Edited by Sour Kraut
[quote name='Sour Kraut' timestamp='1353106839' post='846861']
Pits do not suppose to weigh that much..The old time lines..like Jeep,Heinzl and such where never that big..I seen pits that are huge like the Gotti lines.. they are awful looking.Overbred,inbred andruined by people who think bigger is better.Ours is barely 40 lbs and she is an old bloodline..like the suppose to look.The ghetto breeding has ruined the breed..sadly...just saying

This wasnt a jab at you.I am just saying.I love pits.We bred and have own this breed for over 20 years now..Dont think I am bitching at you:)
[/quote]

Some people think the little 50-60 lb pits look awful, small pitbulls were bred to fight, bigger ones are bred to work(Weight Pulls) seeing a 80+lb dog pull 6200+lbs is a sight to see. Typically if I see a small pit I instantly think fighting and start to question whether or not the breeder is using their dogs for illegal activities. The breed is far from ruined simply because you dont like the bigger stronger dogs, as a matter of fact the big pits are what really made them more of a mainstream animal, people admire the size and the strength of the breed, and them going so mainstream has helped greatly in removing the negative stigma attached to the breeds name(Though there is still a ways to go)which was brought on by the reputation of the animals used for fighting which was the old bloodlined small pits such as "Jeep" who was a champion fighting dog bred for sheer aggression and stamina hence why the breed has such a horrible reputation in the first place....just saying. I have had several pits over the years from retired 47lb fighters to the gotti looking wider than they are tall dogs, all have been great dogs each with unique personalities, they have ranged in temperament from bat #### crazy to big lap dogs that would never hurt a fly. Edited by ~48_South~
[quote name='~48_South~' timestamp='1353110638' post='846905']

Some people think the little 50-60 lb pits look awful, small pitbulls were bred to fight, bigger ones are bred to work(Weight Pulls) seeing a 80+lb dog pull 6200+lbs is a sight to see. Typically if I see a small pit I instantly think fighting and start to question whether or not the breeder is using their dogs for illegal activities. The breed is far from ruined simply because you dont like the bigger stronger dogs, as a matter of fact the big pits are what really made them more of a mainstream animal, people admire the size and the strength of the breed, and them going so mainstream has helped greatly in removing the negative stigma attached to the breeds name(Though there is still a ways to go)which was brought on by the reputation of the animals used for fighting which was the old bloodlined small pits such as "Jeep" who was a champion fighting dog bred for sheer aggression and stamina hence why the breed has such a horrible reputation in the first place....just saying. I have had several pits over the years from retired 47lb fighters to the gotti looking wider than they are tall dogs, all have been great dogs each with unique personalities, they have ranged in temperament from bat #### crazy to big lap dogs that would never hurt a fly.[/quote]

My BIL has a 100+ lb pit that is an absolute teddy bear. My FIL has a 40 lb pit that has an extremely aggressive temperament from the breed line.