Arming children with the facts about guns

The part I love was the irony of the comment "children that young aren't mature enough to handle a gun." Of course they aren't, that's why you supervise them handling an unloaded firearm and teach them why they should never should handle one without an adult around. If they aren't allowed to satisfy their curiosity, they'll do it without an adult around. I keep my guns locked up, but what happens when your kid is at someone else's house and finds an unsecured firearm? The first thing they'll do is pick it up and pull the trigger if they haven't been trained not to.

My father was a LEO, and when I was young he always let me handle his service weapon starting at the age of five in order to desensitize me to the allure that most children have towards firearms. It works. New Yorkers have just lost their minds.
  • Like 4
"[b]Arming children with the facts about guns." [/b]Thought it would be a useful source for all to make sure children know what to do, and how to act, around firearms. Leaving most disappointed. Kudos to the Officer and the trainer backing her decision to desensitize the children on the firearm. Sounds like a divorced dad who wants it to go bad for the ex-wife.
There is absolutely nothing but theories on this. Every parent has the responsibility to handle it the way they see fit as they have the ultimate responsibility and liability.

If you have firearms in your home you must make sure your children are properly trained and accessed is controlled. If someone gets shot or a gun ends up in a kids hands when it shouldn’t be….. You failed.
  • Moderators
[quote name='fivestring63' timestamp='1354297379' post='852891']Geez, I guess they need to lock me up for my taking my boys shooting since they were 6 and 8.[/quote]
I know right? The only reason my 14 month old didn't arrive already owning a a gun is that at the last minute I decided I wanted to make picking out her first gun a father/daughter memory.
Guest cardcutter
I started with my daughter around age three. we learned three things to do when you see a gun unattended.
1. Don't touch!
2. Leave the room.
3. Tell a grown up.

I later learned thats about the same as the NRA Eddie Eagle program.
I also let her handle every gun I brought into the house.
To her my guns were furniture. "that's just Daddy's stuff."
I removed the mystery and therefore the curiosity.
Aparently it worked. She survived to have her own daughter.
Guest TankerHC
Father was an FFL and Class III dealer back in the 70's. Primarily in Greenbelt Maryland.

First time I ever shot a gun (1911) age 4. (1967)
First time I ever shot Full Auto (M1928) age 4.
First time my father brought guns to school for show. Around 3rd Grade (Friends father was a Herpetologist, brought giant snakes). Both dads considered cool at the time, even by the teachers.
First time I ever brought my own gun to school for show. Around 6th Grade.
First NRA Hunter Safety Course. Age 12 at the RS Boys Club.
Pro Gun Teachers. Mr. Green-Vietnam Vet (Infantry). Gym Teacher-WWII, Korea Vet. BG in the Army Reserve. Mr. Konstantinitas - Korea Vet and hunted with my father. numerous others.

Maryland today.
Almost impossible to even own a gun.
A clear squirt gun (Or drawing a picture of a gun) will get you suspended from school for 3 days requiring a P/T Conference to get back in.
Minors handling guns strictly prohibited.
Most (Probably all) teachers - leftist anti gun.
[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3][i]ALBANY — Should children be allowed to handle guns?[/i][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3][i]In Rensselaer County, two probation officers say yes — [b]although it is unclear if the practice is legal.[/b][/i][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]If it's unclear, then it's probably legal.[/size][/font][/color] Edited by DaddyO
Absolutely positively ridiculous. Father was active LE all my life up until retirement. Can't count all the times he allowed me to satisfy my curiosity about his duty weapons. This was always done in a safe environment with an unloaded weapon. Surprisingly enough there was bever any mayhem or carnage to speak of, in fact the only long term outcome was that at a very young age I had a better understanding of gun safety than many adults I know now. Imagine that.
[quote name='analog_kidd' timestamp='1354405365' post='853551']
I have a feeling this is being blown up because it was her "Service Weapon". Had it been a personally owned handgun there probably wouldn't have been as much of a to do. Stupid all the same, a gun is a gun.
[/quote]

I suspect the mother and father are in the middle of a custody dispute and the dad saw a chance to stir the pot. Total BS!
  • Like 1
[quote]The accounts surfaced in an Albany County Family Court battle between one of the officers and her estranged husband, [b]who questioned his wife's decision[/b]. In court papers, the probation officer, Kelly Miazga, said she allowed her sons — ages 9 and 10 at the time — to handle her weapon on Oct. 26, 2011.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that's a given. Anyone that's been through a divorce knows they can get nasty.
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1354235468' post='852612']
Theories they may be but I bet there is not a school in this country that does not, at some point, teach that guns are evil, dangerous, bad things and an adult must be called immediately. Eventually they'll just substitute adult with 911.
[/quote]"

I am sure at some point teachers will tell kids "guns are bad, m'kay"

I am not sure if all Knox County schools do it, but both of the grandsons have been exposed to guns through public school with the Eddie Eagle program.

I am a firm believer that by letting the boys handle guns whenever the mood strikes them it removes the mystery of it all. The youngest one has no interest really, and the older one knows he can shoot when he wants to within reason. But both of them know they can see them or handle them whenever they want to, even it it means pausing the football game or whatever. I handle them when I want to, no reason they can't do the same.
  • Like 1
I brought home a "new to me" pistol this afternoon and let the kids handle it. Took the time to explain gun safety again for the 1099th time (You can't do it enough!). And talked about how the the whole thing worked, until they got a glazed over look on their face. Then let them move on. I don't want there to be any mystery about my firearms. If they have a question about one, then we set down and talk about it and check it out. Promised my son we'd go to the range this weekend if possible. Time to blast some .22 and some .38's in this new pistol! Edited by Moped
  • Like 1