45 ACP Powder - Cleanest Burning

I've tried many powders in 45 ACP, but I've not found one that is clean burning, usually alot of black residue. I've tried 231, Accurate #2 & #5 and currently Titegroup. All perform well, but dirty. Does anyone have a clean burning powder for this caliber?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will have to contact Accurate arms directly to find data because they have had a formula change, but NItro 100 is VERY clean.  

I wrote an email to them about 9mm and settled on a load of 3.0g   The barrel is spotless.  

If you buy any old stock powder be aware that there is a difference in Nitro 100 and Nitro 100NF  [New formula]  

If you buy from David you will only get new stuff and you won't find it cheaper.

I've never tried Nitro 100NF, does it work in 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 SW also?  Accurate Powders does not list Nitro 100 for the 45 acp, only listed for 95g copper bullet in 9mm. I might have to try Accurate #2 or #5 again.

Edited by lshel

Clays

Without a doubt, very clean and accurate for target loads. I am loading 4grs under a lead 200gr swc. After 200 rounds the guns seem still fairly clean, as far as powder fouling. If you are shooting lead, expect  fouling from the lube, how much depends on how good the lube. Hodgedon Clays if loaded within their published load range is one of the cleanest powders for the 45acp.

I still haven't been able to understand why people think they can shoot a gun and not expect some powder residue. I also don't understand what it hurts.

Anyway, a couple of things I've learned is if I'm getting a LOT of residue, a heavier crimp often helps, as well as bumping up the powder charge a bit. More pressure usually provides a cleaner, more complete burn.

I've also found that some lube used on lead bullets creates a mess when shot.

This question is asked very often. Could someone tell me what the obsession with "clean burning powder" is? My air rifle can use a good cleaning after firing a lot of rounds. I expect a firearm to also need cleaning after prolonged use.

Edited by gregintenn

Universal isn't bad either.  

I've never tried Nitro 100NF, does it work in 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 SW also?  Accurate Powders does not list Nitro 100 for the 45 acp, only listed for 95g copper bullet in 9mm. I might have to try Accurate #2 or #5 again.

Like I said, you'd have to write AA for data.  They are really good about providing.  I use a 125g cast bullet over 3.0g of Nitro100NF and get 100% function, dead on point of at 10 yards and total cost is less than $50 per thousand.  Over half that is the primer!  

Guest Frightful1

Switched from Unique to Bullseye several years ago for the same reason.  Cleaner burning.  If you go up on the burn speed chart and LIGHTLY crimp the bullet in place it seems to improve the burn rate.  Stay down toward the minimum loads till you see how your weapon deals with it.