How many rounds a month for your carry

Tennjed

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot my carry about once a month and shoot maybe a magazine. Not a lot. But what I do try to do is shoot something every single day. As long as you are practicing the basics like trigger squeeze, sight picture and sight alignment it is going to keep you a little fresher. During the warm months I will shoot at least 500 rounds a week but during the winter months it is probably 200 a week, mostly 22's.

Dolomite

Specifically for my carry gun? Probably 100-150 a month, but only a mag of SD ammo every once in a while. Used to be a lot more when I shot matches regularly, but I seem to be traveling most weekends these days. Edited by AdotOdot4

I put maybe 50 rounds through my carry gun each month. I carry the compact version of what I compete with and I put several hundred through that one each month. Using the same platform for each makes the transition seamless.

What he said
Guest Lester Weevils

When I carried a snub revolver I would carry concealed to the range (which I believe is "legal" at the range I go to) and sometime during practice with other guns would draw the revolver and shoot the 5 defense rounds I had been carrying, as verification that the gun would have gone bang in time of need. Then maybe or maybe not do additional practice with the carry gun, with cheaper practice ammo, but regardless load it with 5 more defense rounds when done.

Same deal carrying semi-auto nowadays. Sometime during the practice I'll end up emptying the mag of defense ammo I'd been toting for a week or month beforehand, to make sure they would have all gone bang. Then if additional practice is required, use cheaper ammo, and put expensive stuff back in the gun after done. I usually don't do a draw and mag dump. In the kahr p9 which carries 7+1, it will be four "draw and double-tap" exercises.

The range I mostly go to is usually unsupervised and one hopes for the best but prepares for the worst, so I usually try to make sure at least one gun is "ready to go" in case a criminal or nut were to come by and want to make trouble. When practicing with the carry gun, I keep an extra loaded mag for the carry gun in easy reach, or have another gun loaded and in easy reach while practicing the carry gun. When plinking with the other guns, the carry gun is always loaded, holstered, and ready to go "just in case". Perhaps that is excessively paranoid, but folks occasionally get robbed and killed at gun ranges.

Guest Keal G Seo

Well when I was living in AL and could carry (a lot of stuff preventing it up here because of requirements), I would usually run about a box or two a month. (50-100) Nowadays with no permit, getting to the range is luxury. So about 250 rounds ever 6 months or so of non-defense (cheap) ammo.

Guest Wildogre

I alternate between two carry guns but both have the same manual of arms.

I shoot maybe a box a month each or so. I also shoot about 100 rounds of .22 each trip to the range and I try to get there on a weekly basis. I do some dry fire practice for about 10 minutes three or four time a week. So that is 50 a month per carry piece and another 300 to 400 or so of just trigger time. 

How many rounds a month (on average) do you put through your carry gun each month?  I usually put 100 - 200 rounds through mine.  So I am going to say 150.  It is a Sig P290 BTW.

I put very few rounds through mine.

I once trained with a retired Navy Seal who runs a training facility in Minnesota. Frankly, he convinced me that in many ways, shooting live rounds, aside from being expensive, is neither efficient or even the most effective way to train.  HE explained the whole story of "why" he knows that and it is interesting but I don't have time to go into it at the moment. Suffice it to say I found his reasoning and my later experience pretty convincing so most of my practice is what to say to avoid/warn, drawing, weapon presentation, grip, dry firing and then what to do THEN!

Since I carry a Glock most of the time, about a year ago I purchased a SIRT training pistol which is a fabulous tool for training although hardly necessary.

I still shoot live through my carry weapons but most of the times that I go to the range it's more for fun than training.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest Frightful1

I am at Frontier every week with various guns.  Usually the EDC gets about 50 rounds a month with the others getting another 50 or so on a rotating basis.

Truthfully, it seems my carry gun gets less and less attention the more I carry it. I shoot what's in the mag, change mags, refresh the ammo and clean the weapon. I mean....it's a G26, what else it there to do with one? When I'm at the range I usually shoot everything but my carry gun considering they are supposed to be my "fun" guns.