Dianne Feinstein said today (12/16/12) she will introduce a new AWB on first day of new Congress.

• Authorized Vendor

I just reread the article it says "not retroactively, but prospectively" so I guess there would be grandfathering. This may pass, especially with emotions high in lite of recent events. :(

I think with all the recent shootings we will be lucky if this is all we get from our worthless Senators and Congressmen....If the would just lock up all the crazys instead of letting them roam the streets we would be much better off. Whatever happened to asylums anyway?

• Like 1

She does this every time she gets a chance. The House won't go for it, but if they did, there would be voter

repercussions in 2014 like you wouldn't imagine. Ain't gonna happen because of her. This is just her schtick.

The Senate might pass it but it could easily get filibustered. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I still think some kind

of gun ban will come from other directions that are unconstitutional and will be defeated in the end.

Guest Fingersoup

It's coming, folks. Even people here in my own community are turning on guns. Hunters, police, etc.

You should ask them what other rights they want to give up while they are at it...

This isn't 1994, some in the population will see this as a violation of our 2nd Amendment rights, and more death will result from an AWB being passed.  Many can barely stand what is going on today, any move to disarm otherwise law abiding citizens will be seen as a move too far by the federal government.  Most on this forum think TN's relatively relaxed firearm laws are a violation on our God given rights already.

There is a reason why almost every police department in this country uses these types of firearms, they are an effective tool in protecting the officers, that therefore means they are a valuable tool for citizens protecting themselves, as such any ban on new (let alone a ban on current owned) firearms, magazines, or ammo would be a clear violation of our God given freedoms, and would remove the legitimacy of any government passing or enforcing those laws.

If our government breaks the social contract, then freemen (and women) are no longer bound by that social contract to allow tyrants to stay in power, any force is then reasonable to remove said tyrants from power.

Edited by JayC
  • Like 3

She does this every time she gets a chance. The House won't go for it, but if they did, there would be voter

repercussions in 2014 like you wouldn't imagine. Ain't gonna happen because of her. This is just her schtick.

The Senate might pass it but it could easily get filibustered. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I still think some kind

of gun ban will come from other directions that are unconstitutional and will be defeated in the end.

Unfortunately my voice won't be heard in the house on this issue because I have been stuck with Jim Cooper for years and we all already know which side he is on in this!

• Like 1

Well, she had already announced it shortly after the election.

But of course, now there's a crises that must not go to waste, so she's getting extra traction by announcing it again.

It's also my understanding she has submitted it to committee with each new congress since it expired.

- OS

I don't know if it would pass honestly. I don't know if its just the area I live in but most people I've spoken with seem to blame the man, not the guns. I think people are starting to realize how twisted the media is and are getting tired of it. Most of the people I know are more upset with the way the media has turned the shooter into a star and less about the fact he used guns to do it. We need to communicate to our representation that this is a mental health issue, not a gun issue like mentioned before.

Not only her announcing it, but Obama did say something to the same effect about t he UN Gun Ban Treaty

somewhere. This kind of stuff, the tragedies, are only icing on their cake. That same cake they want you and

I to eat, or die. :D

Cake? or death?

Edited by 6.8 AR

Not only her announcing it, but Obama did say something to the same effect about t he UN Gun Ban Treaty

somewhere. This kind of stuff, the tragedies, are only icing on their cake. That same cake they want you and

I to eat, or die. :D

Cake? or death?

Already hearing talking heads on more than one network talking about need to stop the flow of guns now, "then later we can deal with the existing ones".

Feinstein's bill will also have no transfer of exiting banned firearms/mags, so you get to keep 'em (for a while) but can't sell 'em.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I honestly don't think it will pass, but that's just my feeling (I also thought BHO wouldn't get re-elected). The reason I don't think it will pass is it is too sweeping. Also add the fact that there are millions more "assault weapons" and high cap mags than there were out there in '94. Back in '94 the people that owned "assault weapons" were a fairly small minority. Today, I'd venture to say the AR15 is the top selling single gun in the nation. In '94 I could probably list all the AR makers on one hand, today every major brand (and even a bunch of minor brands) offers some sort of AR. That's one reason you see ARs involved in all these shootings, it's just so darned common.

The way I understand the proposed ban, guns and high cap mags will be grandfathered but you won't be able to sell them or pass them on when you die. That provision alone could put huge hardships on gun makers and dealers with sizable inventories and would make your banned guns and mags worthless.