Glocks & Trijcon's

GlockSpock

Put 5 sets of hd's on in the last 4 weeks. Firmly addicted to them now. This was on m&p's and sigs that had standard sights.

Problem I am facing now is everything else has perfectly good night sights on already and I really want to swap them as well...

Mark

I have the GL101O Hd's on my G17.  They are very fast for target acquisition, and they shoot a nice group.  The only downside is they are pretty dang tall.  I've had no issues with snags in my owb holster, but I would make a different pick for CCW.  The only other issue is due to their height I tend to shoot just a bit low, but I think its mostly lack of practice.  When you draw a gun with these sights that big orange ball is right there on target.

I have the GL01's on the G19.  They seem better suited for IWB carry as they are lower profile.  

I'm betting that the gunsmith that installed the front site neglected to use loc tite, or cross threaded during installation causing the screw not to tighten completely.  

Edited by Troutburger
  • 2 months later...

Far and away, your 1st choice.

- Extra visibility front sight.

- Wide rear notch with U shape.

- "Rack-able" rear sight shape.

I prefer Ameriglo's similar offering due to same quality, cheaper price, and awesome CS (and the "rear sight white rings around the tritium" option).

Trijicon HDs are my 2nd choice and I don't hesitate to recommend them.

Necropost alert...just wanted to update.

After using the Trijicon HDs a lot more, I've converted all my Glocks to them.

What took me so long vs Ameriglo (which is still a great company)?

I think I put too much value on the rear sight white rings.  After a lot of comparing/shooting, I realized...

A.  The white rings weren't a big deal.

B.  The HD's U-Notch rear sight is. 

-It gives me faster feedback on left/right sighting deviations.

-All my AKs are setup with U-Notch rear sights.  Commonality helps.

Anyway, FWIW.

The only pistols I currently rely on for SD are Glocks and S&W J-Frames.  If I could have HDs on my J-Frames, I would.

Regards.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Six months ago I went with the GL01's. Well I was shooting yesterday and doing mag change drills. When I do those, I place two rounds in each magazine, and see how quickly I can shoot those two rounds, drop the magazine, reload, and then get back on target. Well, after doing one of the reloads, I bring my gun back to get on target, and I'm missing a front sight! 

Seriously. The front sight was gone. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I didn't bump the sight on anything, I'm sure of that. I believe the bolt that holds the front sight to the slide broke (it seems awfully short now). My gunsmith (who installed the sights) seems to think this is what happened. I will be contacting Trijicon tomorrow.

However, my gunsmith also keeps pushing TFO's. Well, I order everything from Amazon, and he mostly knows that. So it isn't necessarily him trying to sell me the sights, but it is what he recommends. He showed me a G31 with the TFO's on it. They do indeed look very nice. However, I have always been a Trijcon fan. Yet the little bolt sent by Trijicon seemed to have failed when the gun heated. So I am considering purchasing the TFO's and then if I get a replacement from Trijicon, I can sell the GL01's for a few bucks.

But overall I feel Trijicon is better built than the TFO's. However that "feeling" is negated by the fact that the Trijicon's indeed broke!

What do you all think?

I suppose I never followed up on this. Long story short, I paid $5.80 flat rate shipping to Trijicon so that they could inspect the broken screw/bolt that holds the front sight in. They call me and tell me that since they don't have the front sight, they cannot do anything but offer to charge me ~$55 if I ship my slide to them to install a replacement. I told them that for $90 I could buy a new set and install them myself. I even told them that I had quite a few Trijicon products and was contemplating an ACOG someday. Since I did not have the front sight, they could not warranty it.

I sent a long letter to their customer service telling them what I thought. A month or so later (maybe two), UPS alerted me that a package will be delivered from Trijicon the next day. I thought "WooHoo! That letter worked!".

They spent ~$1 or more to ship me back the broken screw.

I'll be trying Meprolight or Tru-Glo next time.

I was left with an extreme distaste in my mouth from every step I dealt with them. The kicker is that from the very beginning, I asked them before I sent the screw in whether they could do anything with it and without the front sight, all they could say was to send it in. Had they initially said "we cannot warranty a product based upon a screw" I would have at least been neutral.

Who is doing aimed fire at night with a handgun and no weapon light? I suspect there are folk who have LEO or military jobs where a night sight offers an advantage.  But in your normal civilian pogue role with the expected 3 shots, at 3 yards in 3 seconds at night I don't think night sights are worthwhile.  They look cool in the closet when you are checking them out though, but night sights, like laser sights, are not something I am interested in focusing on when dangerous things go bump in the night for me that require a handgun.  I want to see the target, I know where my sights are without looking at them.   However, on my shotgun I have a weapon/laser sight with pressure pad switch. On my night Glock I have a weapon light.  That weapon light beam is my my aiming circle. Now, as a civilian pogue, who has just called 911, worrying about if the bad guy has seen my red dot, weapon light, etc., is the least of my worries, while trying to line up 3 green dots seems counterproductive. 

Who is doing aimed fire at night with a handgun and no weapon light? I suspect there are folk who have LEO or military jobs where a night sight offers an advantage.  But in your normal civilian pogue role with the expected 3 shots, at 3 yards in 3 seconds at night I don't think night sights are worthwhile.  They look cool in the closet when you are checking them out though, but night sights, like laser sights, are not something I am interested in focusing on when dangerous things go bump in the night for me that require a handgun.  I want to see the target, I know where my sights are without looking at them.   However, on my shotgun I have a weapon/laser sight with pressure pad switch. On my night Glock I have a weapon light.  That weapon light beam is my my aiming circle. Now, as a civilian pogue, who has just called 911, worrying about if the bad guy has seen my red dot, weapon light, etc., is the least of my worries, while trying to line up 3 green dots seems counterproductive.

For my opinion...the best comment so far.

And don't gang up on me and Craig, I do have several pistols with nite sights on them. Trijicons, to be exact. But in all reality, I believe Craig is right. In real world defensive situation, which is better?

I'm not sure, but personally, I like the laser and light combo. Heck I'm not sure I'd have the sense and composure to line up my dots for a shot. A grip activated laser or light is my preference. Even if I can't see the sights, I can follow the laser or the light path to see what I'm pointing at.

And I'm not downing night sights. I've just begun, as I get older, to question the need and the circumstances in which they are useful and work best. Edited by hipower

I hate to hear some others had issues with their TFO's. I ran them on a Gen 4 Glock 17 for a couple of years and loved them. They survived multiple handgun classes like a champ.

If they made TFOs for CZs, I'd buy a set for every single one of my handguns.