Can't get shotgun barrel clean.

Guest MidTNGlock

Guest MidTNGlock

I used a copper brush and patches soaked in Hoppes #9 on my barrel but patches kept coming out with black residue on them. Had to give up after a while out of frustration. I bet I could have used 100 patches and they'd still be coming out dirty.

You guys have any techniques or solvents to recommend that might help speed up cleaning this barrel?

Thanks for your time.

I got a package of makeup removing pads from Walmart that are essentially big fat patches. Roll two of those up push them through with a little of your cleaner of choice and they've done the trick for me.

Now that is a great tip and I bet they are cheaper than shotgun patches as well as work better.

Dolomite

So when you look down the barrel does it look clean?
When I clean my o/u the barrels and get them clean and shiny but I can keep cleaning them I will alway get a "dirty" patch after running a clean patch back down the barrels. Some of the black coloring could be coming from the copper brush. Edited by runningfree
[quote name="Bassoneer" post="868556" timestamp="1356474636"]The guy who has the "box-o-truth" web site uses tampons to clean his shotguns. I tried it and it works good...put some hoppes on the thing and run it through the barrel a few times. Good luck! B[/quote] That's wrong. I will pick up cans for extra money to buy makeup patches before I do that. Perception, not application. I guess the ones with a string works like a disposable bore snake.
Guest MidTNGlock
So when you look down the barrel does it look clean?
When I clean my o/u the barrels and get them clean and shiny but I can keep cleaning them I will alway get a "dirty" patch after running a clean patch back down the barrels. Some of the black coloring could be coming from the copper brush.

It looks clean but I run a dry patch through or one with some CLP on it and it comes out with black stuff on it. I was unsure about this since my handgun barrels clean up pretty easy after far more use.

Guest MidTNGlock
I've been using an o-ring jag with regular patches (I hate to take a brush to any barrel unless absolutely necessary) with good results, but no matter how much the interior of the barrel shines, and mine looks like a mirror, no patch ever comes out perfectly clean.  If you're okay with that you might try this: http://tinyurl.com/cbbdrts (safe link to Brownell's).

Why do you try to avoid using a brush? Thanks for the link. I may have to order one of those.

Guest MidTNGlock
If you are ever going to shoot the gun......quit worrying about it.  It's clean, give it a little oil, and start on another one.

OK that puts my mind at ease a bit. I thought it was bad for it if all that stuff was left in there. Thanks for the added perspective.

Why do you try to avoid using a brush? Thanks for the link. I may have to order one of those.

More out of habit with rifled barrels than anything - my understanding is that aggressive cleaning can wear out a barrel faster than shooting. With a 12ga, I figure that a minor (or even major) amount of fouling won't have any effect on performance, so why bother?
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="StPatrick" data-cid="869576" data-time="1356601184"><p>
More out of habit with rifled barrels than anything - my understanding is that aggressive cleaning can wear out a barrel faster than shooting. With a 12ga, I figure that a minor (or even major) amount of fouling won't have any effect on performance, so why bother?</p></blockquote>

Excessive cleaning wont hurt it either. I know at least one of the mossberg super mag (3 1/2") shotguns uses a 12ga chamber then opens up to a 10 ga barrel to help with patterning the large loads. You arent going to hurt a quality shotgun barrel by cleaning it.

If the bore is stubborn about coming clean with just using solvent then I do the following:

If 12ga i use a 20ga bronze bore brush (next size smaller). I then wrap several cut "strings" of copper Chore Boy pot scrubber around the brush until its snug when pushed into the bore. Give the bore 5-6 passes and then followed solvent clean should get the bore spotless. If not repeat.

i am lousy on cleaning, i just run snake a couple of time and call it a day. but when i'm not busy and feel like cleaning i use engine block degreaser or break cleaner then lube the tube, run a couple of brass brush and pads and call it clean. :up:

.. wrap several cut "strings" of copper Chore Boy pot scrubber around the brush until its snug when pushed into the bore.

This is the only thing I've found that works well and quickly on lead fouling in a rifled bore, too. Dolomite showed me that.

Gotta be real copper, and Chore Boy is the only one I know that actually is.

- OS

Guest Schafer503rd

I learned a couple tricks from my time in the Army.... Try shaving cream (actual foam) let it soak about 20 minutes and scrub it out. If that doesnt work invest in a ultra sonic cleaner.