Any good rifles for under $200?

Jesse

lookin to buy a rifle just to add to a start up gun collection. itll be my first rifle but I wont be using it much and dont want to spend much.  im thinking a 22 would be in this price range?  might take it rabbit hunting or something some day.  what would be my best choice? 

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno mosins (or much of anything else). Buds gun shop has a blue, nylon stock Ruger 10-22 for $279 which is "close to" $200. Think I've seen some of the lower-end blue henry .22 lever guns nearing the $200 mark new, and those are generally pretty nice little lever guns.

Used (or maybe even new, haven't gone shopping lately) there are lots of real nice bolt-action .22 Mossbergs, Remingtons, etc that in the right hands would shoot the eye out of a squirrel all day long?

Now am pretty sure you can find a new Hi-Point 9mm carbine at $200. The newer models ain't quite so ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road, but people say even the older ugly ones work great.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Wife just paid for me to get a savage MKII-FV 22lr, bolt action. The price before taxes and background check was $199. I had to add a scope as there are no iron sights on this model. I have read a lot of good reviews on the gun and hope to try it out if this lousy weather breaks.

I'd love to see what a Mosin does to a rabbit.  :lol:   Regardless, if you want a high-powered rifle you can have one with a ton of ammo for $200.

There are several very nice .22's available in your price range. Savage, Remington and Marlin all make rifles that fit the bill.  Ruger 10/22's can be had right around that price on sale.  Go by Academy, WalMart and Dick's, see what's on sale.

Edited by Garufa
[quote name='luke9511' timestamp='1356567424' post='869296']Another vote here for the mosin nagant I paid less than $150 for mine and goodlettsville gun shop has the carbines for $160 Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote] M44? That's a flamethrower. Get that'n. Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
First and so far only rifle? While I love my Mosins I can't imagine not owning a 22. A nice remington 597 can be had for $200 or less new before tax/background. If your like me you'll find yourself shooting that little 22 more than any other five calibers combined.
  • Like 1
Go for a 22 for your first rifle. You could get a rifle, scope, soft case, ammo, cleaning kit and ear protection for around $200 total if you can find a used rifle on the classifieds. I bought a semi auto marlin 795 for $100 a few months ago and it's a good little shooter and is very easy to clean.

mosin might make a good deer rifle but its way overpowered for rabbits AND it will knock your shoulder black and blue pretty fast.  Its a heavy, powerful rifle from WWII era, and will certainly give you a workout if you DID haul it thru the woods for a deer.  They are great rifles at a great price and you probably might want one while they are still dirt cheap and still being imported.

That said, an inexpensive .22 is a better choice for a rabbit or sending many rounds downrange at a time for fun and practice. 

So, if picking between the 2 --- mosin for picking off moose at 500 yards.  .22 for a rabit at 50 yards.  Mosin for a 20 round shooting day.  .22 for a 200 round shooting day.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
RUBBER ASS PAD FOR MOSIN NAGANT THREE LINE RIFLE IS NOT SO BAD. STRONG STEEL ASS PLATE IS PERFECT AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK ARMS FACTORY ALREADY BUT IF LONG RIFLE IS GOOD, THEN EVEN MUCH LONGER RIFLE MUST BE BETTER, NO? WITH RUBBER ASS PAD AND BAYONET PROPERLY FIXED FOR BATTLE, WHOLE WEAPON IS MORE THAN TWO ARSHIN OF LENGTH. IS MUCH TALLER THAN JAPANESE INFANTRY SOLDIER, IN EXAMPLE.

I vote Mosin and agree with Ivan, get a rubber butt pad for it.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of the Mosin-Nagant than myself, but even so, the OP asked about a "FIRST" rifle. I would not recommend a Mosin to a first time buyer, as there is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to proper maintenance and operation. What's more, if you've never shot a rifle and you start with a Mosin, it might put you off rifles for quite a while. Let's face it, the Mosin is a hoss when compared to many other $200 rifles.

If it were me, I would go the .22 route for a first time rifle purchase. You would get to learn the feel & basics of rifle operation without the thunderous report and mule-kick of the Mosin. Also, You can't take a Mosin just anywhere to shoot it-- some ranges will not allow them. However, most ranges WILL allow rimfire (.22) rifles all day, every day. To top it off, even though surplus ammo for Mosin (7.62x54R) can still be had for under 20 cents per round, That's still not as cheap as a 500-round brick of .22lr ammo.

Edited by tartanphantom